New Voices in Fiction Authors from William Morrow discussion

Second Novel

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William Morrow (new)

William Morrow | 8 comments Mod
Are you working on a second novel? If so, what can you tell us about it?

message 2: by M (new)

M Cooley | 21 comments Mod
Book two involves further upstate New York adventures for June, and she will get the opportunity to close her father’s last case once and for all. He mentions it in books one—a double murder where the bodies of the victims were never found—but June’s investigation ends up uncovering more questions than it answers, and opening old obsessions for both June’s father and her partner Dave.

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Gaynor (hazelgaynor) | 26 comments Mod
My second novel A MEMORY OF VIOLETS will be published in February, 2015 - and I can't wait! It tells the story of two sets of sisters, and is set around a charity for orphaned flower sellers in Victorian London. Like The Girl Who Came Home it was inspired by true events. I can't wait to share the beautiful cover and to talk about the book in more detail over the coming months.

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie La Seur (carrielaseur) | 20 comments Mod
I'm in revisions on a second novel, much like The Home Place in setting, with some of the same characters, but not exactly a sequel. More like another story in the neighborhood. For now we're calling it Bert because nobody can agree on a title. It borrows loosely from the plot of Hamlet and delves into mental illness and natural resource destruction, again with a mystery to solve.

message 5: by M (new)

M Cooley | 21 comments Mod
Hazel wrote: "My second novel A MEMORY OF VIOLETS will be published in February, 2015 - and I can't wait! It tells the story of two sets of sisters, and is set around a charity for orphaned flower sellers in Vic..."

I love the Victorian Era, and that sounds incredibly interesting. Can't wait to see the cover!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Rotert | 12 comments Mod
haha, Carrie, Bert. Catchy. I'm writing a sort-of sequel to first book and then another. A trilogy. Or, as my students often said, a Tri-ology, which sounds like the study of three, which also works. Much of my work could be classified as the study of threes.

message 7: by C.J. (new)

C.J. | 16 comments Mod
Rebecca, I love the idea of a "tri-ology" as the study of threes. Nice.

I am working on a new book...in short: it's a Shakespeare adaptation with a sci-fi twist.

message 8: by Emmi (new)

Emmi Itäranta | 19 comments Mod
A Shakespeare adaptation with a sci-fi twist? I can't wait to read that!

I'm actually curious - do any of you find the second novel more difficult or easier to write than the first one? Or more or less the same?

I'm about halfway through my second novel, which is not a sequel to the first one, but a stand-alone set in an imaginary fantasy universe where dreaming is forbidden. I have never written a novel with a deadline before, which creates a new kind of pressure for me. I also feel that the expectations are higher now because I have already done this once and I should show I'm capable of doing it again, only better.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Harbour (katherineharbour) | 27 comments Mod
Briar Queen will be published in June 2015 and it will continue the story of Finn and Jack, Christie and Sylvie. As Finn and Jack struggle to lead ordinary lives, a Fata known as the Wolf king arrives in Fair Hollow, seeking revenge. He also reveals a secret about Finn's beautiful, wild older sister, who committed suicide a year ago.

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Hazel wrote: "My second novel A MEMORY OF VIOLETS will be published in February, 2015 - and I can't wait! It tells the story of two sets of sisters, and is set around a charity for orphaned flower sellers in Vic..."

I love books set in Victorian times, too. And sister relationships are always interesting.

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Emmi wrote: "A Shakespeare adaptation with a sci-fi twist? I can't wait to read that!

I'm actually curious - do any of you find the second novel more difficult or easier to write than the first one? Or more or..."

I feel expectations are higher as well. But I've found it much easier to write my second novel. I do feel pressure to make it perfect while revising, but I'm getting used to deadlines.

message 12: by Katherine (new)

CJ wrote: "Rebecca, I love the idea of a "tri-ology" as the study of threes. Nice.

I am working on a new book...in short: it's a Shakespeare adaptation with a sci-fi twist."

Can you tell us which Shakespeare story you're using? They all have such wonderful characters.

message 13: by C.J. (new)

C.J. | 16 comments Mod
Emmi wrote: "A Shakespeare adaptation with a sci-fi twist? I can't wait to read that!

I'm actually curious - do any of you find the second novel more difficult or easier to write than the first one? Or more or..."

Thanks, Emmi!

I'm finding that each novel is a new beast...so the writing itself isn't necessarily easier. But what is easier? I'm now more comfortable sitting with the chaos of a first draft, and trusting that time and revision will get me where I need to go. I have the experience of writing the first novel to thank for this new sense of calm-in-the-chaos

message 14: by Hazel (new)

M.P. wrote: "Hazel wrote: "My second novel A MEMORY OF VIOLETS will be published in February, 2015 - and I can't wait! It tells the story of two sets of sisters, and is set around a charity for orphaned flower ..."

Thank you! I'm excited to share it :)

message 15: by Hazel (new)

Katherine wrote: "Hazel wrote: "My second novel A MEMORY OF VIOLETS will be published in February, 2015 - and I can't wait! It tells the story of two sets of sisters, and is set around a charity for orphaned flower ..."

It also creeps into the Edwardian period - another era I love. Yes, sisters are an interesting relationship to explore. I have a sister. Luckily, we have a great relationship!

message 16: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 19 comments Mod
My second novel is tentatively slated for release next summer. It's the story of an Afghan family gravely affected by the civil war. They seek to escape the desolation of war torn Kabul and try to make their way to England. On the way, an adolescent son is torn away from his family. I wanted to shed light on the very real plight of refugee seekers and the underground world they fall into as European countries struggle with how to manage the influx of desperate asylum seekers. Oh, and there's a love story in there too!

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary McNear (marymcnear) | 22 comments Mod
My second novel, Butternut Summer, was released on August 12. It is the second book in the Butternut Lake Trilogy and it follows the story of a mother and daughter, Caroline and Daisy, both of whom are Supporting characters in my first book. It is about second chances, the power of love, and the human capacity for change.

message 18: by Lacy (last edited Aug 20, 2014 10:22AM) (new)

Lacy Crawford | 14 comments Mod
William Morrow wrote: "Are you working on a second novel? If so, what can you tell us about it?"

Mary wrote: "My second novel, Butternut Summer, was released on August 12. It is the second book in the Butternut Lake Trilogy and it follows the story of a mother and daughter, Caroline and Daisy, both of whom..."

message 19: by Lacy (new)

Lacy Crawford | 14 comments Mod
Yes. It has nothing to do with college.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary McNear (marymcnear) | 22 comments Mod
CJ, I know what you mean about how each novel is a new beast.

Writing the second novel in my series was more difficult in some ways than writing my first book. The first book was about one central couple and followed a pretty straightforward story line. My second book follows the story of four central characters, their relationships to each other, and how they change over the course of one summer. Weaving these four characters together, or “dove-tailing,” was a challenge.

message 21: by C.J. (new)

C.J. | 16 comments Mod
Katherine wrote: "CJ wrote: "Rebecca, I love the idea of a "tri-ology" as the study of threes. Nice.

I am working on a new book...in short: it's a Shakespeare adaptation with a sci-fi twist."

Can you tell us whic..."

Hi Katherine!

I'm tackling As You Like It, it's a favorite of mine, and narratively is kind of a hot mess....which leave me lots of room to play! Glad there are other Shakespeare wonks out there.

New Voices in Fiction Authors from William Morrow

unread topics | mark unread