Den of Geek Book Club discussion

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
This topic is about Children of Blood and Bone
MAR/APR: Children of Blood/Bone > CHILDREN OF BLOOD & BONE — Post Your Reviews

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Den of Geek (new) - added it

Den of Geek (denofgeek) | 82 comments Mod
Tell us what you thought of CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE, the debut novel from Tomi Adeyemi! Here's our review:

denofgeek.us/us/books/children-of-blo...

message 2: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany (blko) I really enjoyed this book because of the nonstop action. It reminded me of every episode of BSG in the sense that there was never a moment to catch your breath, every time you think the characters are safe, shit hits the fan hard and they're running for their lives again.

The world building and history is great (and heartbreakingly realistic), the characters all have clearly defined motivations and personalities, and the villain is someone I despised, but at the same time I completely understood why he thought he was right (which is the mark of a good villain in my book).

The one thing that was a little off-putting was the romance between Zelie and Inan. It just always seemed shoehorned in and forced. All those scenes fell flat for me (and I eye rolled all their dialogue talking about their feelings haha).

Overall, I give it 4.5/5 stars and am definitely looking forward to the sequel!

message 3: by Den of Geek (new) - added it

Den of Geek (denofgeek) | 82 comments Mod
Bethany wrote: "I really enjoyed this book because of the nonstop action. It reminded me of every episode of BSG in the sense that there was never a moment to catch your breath, every time you think the characters..."

I love the BSG comparison, Bethany! Also, I agree with your assessment of the romance. That was the weakest part of the book for me and the least interesting relationship. I am excited to see how Tomi Adeyemi develops as a writer over the course of this series and beyond, however!

x Kayti