Play Book Tag discussion

Cork Dork: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste
This topic is about Cork Dork
March 2018: Autobiography > Cork Dork / Bianca Bosker - 2.5**

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 31, 2018 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5999 comments Cork Dork A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste by Bianca Bosker
Cork Dork – Bianca Bosker
2.5**

Subtitle: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste

Bosker was a “technology reporter covering the Googles and Snapchats of the world” when a dinner out with her boyfriend resulted in an encounter with a sommelier that piqued her interest in this unusual career choice. First, she became obsessed with research, then she started tasting, and before long she was intent on mastering the art and passing the certification exam. This is the memoir of her eighteen months on that quest.

I picked up the book only because it’s a selection for my face-to-face book club. And I was not eager to read it. But Bosker’s writing pulled me in. She’s funny and irreverent, and also entertaining and informative. Still, I found much of it repetitive and I’d put it down for a day or two with little enthusiasm for picking it up again.

Just not my cup of tea (or glass of wine), I guess.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments I was just reading Cora's review of Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life and saying to myself that somehow surfing seems like an activity better done than written about.

Goes double for drinking wine.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5999 comments Anita wrote: "I was just reading Cora's review of Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life and saying to myself that somehow surfing seems like an activity better done than written about.

Goes double for drinking wine..."

I'll drink to that!