SQHS YLL discussion

Room-Emma Donoghue

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ur (Maddie) (new)

Ur (Maddie) Mom (Miles) | 13 comments Room by Emma Donoghue
Reviewed by Maddie Miles

Jack is a normal 5-year-old boy. He loves his mom, watching Dora the Explorer, and counting. He especially loves to read; his favorite being Dillan the Digger. Only one thing sets him apart from the rest of the other kids, and that is that he has grown up in a 12 by 12 foot room with his mom his whole life, only sunlight or view of the outside world being a sunroof in the ceiling of the shed that they live in. Jack’s mom was captured when she was 19 outside her college, and for 2 years she was stuck alone, until she fell pregnant with Jack. Jack has no idea about the outside world and only knows of what he has been told and seen in Room. He has no idea he is physically and mentally being held captive by his mother’s rapist and his biological father. This book follows Jack’s troubles and feats across the course of his life in room.

I personally really enjoyed Room. As soon as you start reading it, it sucks you in and holds your attention for the duration of the book. At first, I didn’t like the book. I didn’t like it because it is written in the perspective of Jack, the 5-year-old boy. This makes the book slightly difficult to read and understand at first, but eventually I got accustomed to the unique way of writing. Towards the end of Room, I became comfortable with the style of writing and grew to love the unique perspective. This book does an impressive job of accurately describing the point of view of a child in this situation, and it is obvious she did a lot of research before writing the book. I truly recommend Room to everyone.

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 16 comments This sounds like a really good read, and I enjoyed the review that you wrote on it. It's interesting that instead of the perspective of the mother, the author decides to go with the child's perspective, and it'd be strange to read, considering the child hasn't known anything else for his entire life. I will definitely check this book out.

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
How does the author keep the book from being too depressing or repetitive? It seems only so much could be said about being in the same room every single day, especially from the perspective of a five-year-old! That's a really interesting and risky narrator choice, but based on your enjoyment of the novel, it sounds like the author made it work.

message 4: by AnaRose (new)

AnaRose Haley | 9 comments I want to read this now! I like that the author wrote this in a young kids perspective, its unique.

message 5: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 12 comments I remember watching the movie awhile ago, and I thought it was great. I never knew about the book though, and I will definitely read it.

message 6: by Bella (new)

Bella | 15 comments This book sounds like a super cool read. I enjoy reading in new styles and this style seems quite unique.

Also does the book stay in his perspective the whole time or does it shift? Does the boy understand his moms experience?

message 7: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 9 comments I can see how reading through the kids perspective would be annoying but overall the book idea sounds very interesting. it sounds like a page turner.

message 8: by Ur (Maddie) (new)

Ur (Maddie) Mom (Miles) | 13 comments Sophia wrote: "This sounds like a really good read, and I enjoyed the review that you wrote on it. It's interesting that instead of the perspective of the mother, the author decides to go with the child's perspec..."

I agree, at first it was difficult to read, just like how 5-year-olds are hard to understand, but you get used to it fairly quickly and it's a unique perspective to read from!

message 9: by Ur (Maddie) (new)

Ur (Maddie) Mom (Miles) | 13 comments Erika wrote: "How does the author keep the book from being too depressing or repetitive? It seems only so much could be said about being in the same room every single day, especially from the perspective of a fi..."

I don't think there's a way to keep it non-depressing given the circumstances, but thankfully, it never felt repetitive to me. The author does a great job at keeping the reader interested while also emphasizing the difficult, and repetitive, situation they're in.

message 10: by Ur (Maddie) (new)

Ur (Maddie) Mom (Miles) | 13 comments Bella wrote: "This book sounds like a super cool read. I enjoy reading in new styles and this style seems quite unique.

Also does the book stay in his perspective the whole time or does it shift? Does the boy ..."

The boy in the book doesn't understand what his mom feels, but he knows that something bad is going on. A good example of his age is when it is obvious that his mom is switching on and off the lamp in the book, for a chance to maybe signal someone but Jack asks her to stop doing it because it's disturbing his sleep.

message 11: by Ur (Maddie) (new)

Ur (Maddie) Mom (Miles) | 13 comments Dylan wrote: "I remember watching the movie awhile ago, and I thought it was great. I never knew about the book though, and I will definitely read it."

I have never watched the movie, but the book has a lot of details that a movie may not be able to fully capture so I definitely recommend it!

message 12: by Jami (new)

Jami Wallace | 14 comments This sounds like an interesting read. Other than it being boring for a little while, what else did you not like about the book? I really want to read this now!

message 13: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn Hawkinson | 12 comments Your review was amazing! It really captured my attention and made me really interested to read it. It's also really interesting that it's from the point of view of the 5-year-old. Have you seen the movie? If so, how does it compare to the book?