Play Book Tag discussion

March 2018: Autobiography > Eat The Apple by Matt Young - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (last edited Mar 30, 2018 06:01PM) (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 393 comments "The Iliad of the Iraq war" says Tim Weiner, "--a gut-wrenching, beautiful memoir of the consequences of war on the psyche of a young man."

Based on three tours of duty in Iraq as a Marine from the age of 18, this is a memoir that definitely chronicles the consequences of war on the psyche of a young man and it is gut-wrenching (at times) but to be clear there isn't anything 'beautiful' about it.

The title comes from an inside baseball expression from former Marines with a less than positive memory of their service "Eat the apple, F*$% the Corp". Matt Young describes his writing style as Creative Non-Fiction. Some may argue whether he is Creative or just plain unadulterated raw and vulgar.

I've read a fair amount of Fiction and Non-Fiction on the subject of the post 9-11 wars in Afgahnistan and Iraq and I've liked the others better (Yellow Birds, redeployment, The Forever War, etc.). I rated this one 4 stars for his efforts and for his 'creativity'. Some of the book feels like a transcript from a brutal session with an army psych doc so if you're not interested in this topic, I'd recommend you skip this book.

War is hell and Matt Young's been thru it. The good news is that he survived and seems like he is recovering from it (and that he has found both an outlet and a refuge in writing as a way to cope and heal). God bless him along with all veterans and God bless America.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Yikes. Reading between the lines, this book sounds like a hard read from an emotional standpoint. I've never heard of that expression . . .for some reason all my impressions of Marines come from the one time I ran the Marine Corps marathon, and it just seemed like the most amazing group of young men ever. Of course, there must be a flip side . . .sounds like this book reveals it.