SQHS YLL discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jordan Cucksey | 12 comments The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
Reviewed by Jordan Cucksey

This book is an intriguing and chilling mystery that pulls readers into the problematic interactions between Rachel and her real life and fantasy conflicts. Rachel is a lonely ex-wife who is dealing with a breakup where her husband cheated on her. She has fallen into alcoholic habits that has caused her to become unemployed. She takes the train everyday to hide the fact that she is jobless from her roommate who is constantly worried about her actions. Rachel starts to create a fantasy from watching a couple who lives beside her routine train ride. She uses this “perfect” couple to distract herself from her constant black outs and invasive actions towards her ex-husbands new relationship. Until one night where everything becomes intertwined, Meghan, the fantasy wife goes missing the night intoxicated Rachel heads out to talk to her ex-husband. Rachel must rely on snippets of memory to figure out what happened to the girl she has watched on the train.
I found this book very fascinating as I got to learn different perspectives of one central conflict. I enjoyed how Paula Hawkins changed the point of view every chapter and seamlessly tied them together so that we got to hear crucial details from each character’s life without the story becoming repetitive. I enjoyed how the complex relationships unfolded and tied all the characters together in unpredictable ways. I was brought into Rachels life by her very upsetting but real-life setbacks and enjoyed seeing her grow and move away from her rock bottom situation. The ending surprised me, but I enjoyed how it tied everything together. This book was quite a chilling read but really gripped me into the conflict as well as connected me to the characters.

message 2: by Asia (new)

Asia Verbrugge | 15 comments This book sounds like a very interesting read and unique read. I wonder if Rachel did something to the girl on the train while she was intoxicated because of her jealousy.

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
I heard about the movie but never saw it. The book sounds more interesting to me than the movie because I like the idea of shifting narrators. How many narrators are there and do they get roughly equal time?

message 4: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 16 comments I am really curious about this book. I have slowly begun to immerse myself more into the horror genre and this sounds like a really interesting story. The main character Rachel sounds interesting, I enjoy characters with flaws and problems that try to better themselves throughout the course of a book rather than a 'perfect' character. I also really enjoyed the wording you used for your review.

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade | 8 comments I am interested in this book for the fact is is so mysterious and sounds full of adventure that it sounds like a book i would enjoy.

message 6: by Caley (new)

Caley Whitner | 11 comments I am very interested in this book, and what happens to the missing girl as well as her going to talk to her ex husband. I'll probably pick up this book and read it after the one I'm on. Thanks for this reflection, it made me really intrigued.

message 7: by Des'Ree (new)

Des'Ree Henry | 16 comments I am very Interested in this book, and it seems like a good read. The book sounds like an adventure and is definitely going to be the next book I read . Also does the women have a child with her ex- husband?

message 8: by Caley (new)

Caley Whitner | 11 comments Des'Ree wrote: "I am very Interested in this book, and it seems like a good read. The book sounds like an adventure and is definitely going to be the next book I read . Also does the women have a child with her ex..."

that's what I was curious about as well!

message 9: by Ur (Maddie) (new)

Ur (Maddie) Mom (Miles) | 13 comments This seems like an interesting book from a unique, yet relatable to some, perspective. This book seems like one I would like to now read.

Jordan Cucksey | 12 comments Erika wrote: "I heard about the movie but never saw it. The book sounds more interesting to me than the movie because I like the idea of shifting narrators. How many narrators are there and do they get roughly e..."
Altogether there is seven different narrators, but two of them only share there perspective for one chapter each. I would say Rachel's point of view is the most dominant. Between the other four they are roughly equal. I just watched the movie and it does switch off perspectives as well, however I thought it was not as effective at unfolding the story as the book was. I would definitely recommend reading the book first!

Jordan Cucksey | 12 comments Sophia wrote: "I am really curious about this book. I have slowly begun to immerse myself more into the horror genre and this sounds like a really interesting story. The main character Rachel sounds interesting, ..."
I generally don't read many books in the horror genre but this one definitely got me hooked and I found it was an effective transition into the thriller world. I also enjoy getting to know characters that are imperfect like Rachel which is one of the reasons I really enjoyed this book.