Children's Books discussion

Specific Books & Authors > Junior Novelizations?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think of books based on movies?
I know a Frozen one exists; I've read the Despicable Me one.
Personally, I think they're unnecessary. I'm all for new books, but when they're modeled after popular movies it kind of defeats the purpose.

message 2: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6164 comments Mod
I wonder if they've ever succeeded in getting a reluctant reader to read more. If so, then I'm in favor of them. But yeah, I think avid readers should go to the original.

If the original is something challenging like Moby Dick or whatever, then I get help from Cliffs or Sparks Notes if I want to read the classic. Or else I won't even bother, tbh.

That's just my opinion.

But what about stuff like all the Star Trek novels? I admit, I read those. And my adult son read the Rizzoli & Isles books by Tess Gerritsen. I'm not sure what to think about those kinds of books - except to maybe try not to give in to my tendency to be judgmental. :)

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5589 comments Mod
My thoughts pretty much echo Cheryl's. I have read and appreciated some of the Star Trek novels -- in many cases, these expand on the world from the film/TV series and add to, rather than simply being a written version of, the saga.

I agree novelizations of children's films seem redundant and wouldn't be my first choice for an avid reader but if it gets reluctant readers reading then that's great. I suppose I tend to assume the kids versions won't be well-written and are churned out to be commercial but maybe that's unfair of me.