SQHS YLL discussion

J.K. Rowling
This topic is about J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jakob (new)

Jakob | 1 comments Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling is the 7th and final installment in the series. With Severus Snape holding the position of Headmaster at Hogwarts, Harry, Ron, and Hermione decide to leave and look for Horcruxes. The only problem is, they don’t know where to look for them. On their journey, they learn of something else that can defeat Voldemort; the Deathly Hallows. Now Harry must choose which to go after; Horcruxes or Hallows. While all this is going on, the dark side is starting to control everything. With control of the Ministry, and the ongoing capture of Muggle-Born wizards, the sooner Harry finishes his mission, the better. It is questioned by the public whether Harry is even alive, but the students of Hogwarts know he will come back to fight Voldemort.

In my opinion, this book was an excellent way to end the series. At some parts the story felt a bit repetitive, but other than that, this book was thrilling and left me feeling unable to set it down. It was great to see the students stand up to Voldemort and protect their home in the Battle of Hogwarts. Another thing I like about this finale is the wide range of emotions it bestows upon the reader. From suspense, to triumph, and even tragedy, Deathly Hallows will give you a definite thrill whilst reading. During the period in which our heroes are searching for the Horcruxes, the story seems sort of slow and drawn out. Despite being slightly boring, it was a genius element of writing because we feel the same frustration the characters feel, as if they are getting nowhere. Overall, this installment of Harry Potter did a fantastic job of explaining the story and tying it together, as well as closing it off in a satisfactory way.

message 2: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 12 comments I've never really enjoyed reading Harry Potter books, but your review convinced me that it's full of exciting suspense and cliff-hangers. Maybe I will try to read a few.

message 3: by Jade (new)

Jade | 8 comments i have not enjoyed reading much harry potter books as well but i want to see if the book is alot like the movie or is there something i am missing so i will try it out again.

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
The thing that initially drew me into the HP books is the humor. J.K. Rowling has such an enjoyable voice; her writing is full of warmth and personality. She's also incredibly creative -- I mean she made up an entirely new sport with quiddich, and that's just the tip of the iceberg! I also think her characters, like sweetly evil Doris Umbridge, are brilliant. What are some of your favorite elements of Rowling's writing?

Although the series started out for middle school-aged readers, it become a lot darker and more mature as the series went on. This worked for readers growing up with the novels (who had to wait form new ones to come out and may have even been adults by the time the final book came out), but I wonder about new readers starting the series. What if a 5th grades readers the first one and then plows through the series in a single year? Is it too much, too heavy for such a young reader? What do you think?

It's been awhile since I've read these, but I seem to recall that as the books got darker and more intense, Rowling tried to continue with lighter moments that capture her earlier humor and fun voice, but it became more difficult and definitely more sparse. Did you find the books lost some of the fun as they went on? Or did it not matter because the intense plot and action was so engaging?