Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
This topic is about Raven Black
Archives > April 2018-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-Raven Black

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 3485 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1) by Ann Cleeves Raven Black by Ann Cleeves

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 610 comments WOW. What a great read. From beginning to end I was captivated.
I have to ask, why are all the Hebridean novels so dark?
I've read 4 recently and they are all dark and brooding.
The end was so right. Sally Henry was so introspective and needy, I should have guessed what was going on. But I didn't and it was a jaw dropping moment.

message 3: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brenda | 9198 comments Mod
I'm still waiting for mine from the library Rob! Glad you enjoyed it :)

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 610 comments Brenda wrote: "I'm still waiting for mine from the library Rob! Glad you enjoyed it :)"

I did Brenda and hope do as much as I did.

message 5: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm sure I will 😊

Kylie H | 786 comments I agree Rob, I don't know if it is the far north setting that makes it dark and brooding, but not unlike the Scandinavian Noir style of writing. Yes, the end was jaw dropping and I thought I had it all figured out so many times (especially as I had seen the Shetland series, but it is so far removed from the book). A really entertaining book! I am looking forward to reading more in this series.

message 7: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 610 comments About the only thing that connected this book to the show, Kylie, was the name Jimmy Perez. Even so the Jimmy Perez in the book was of Spanish descent whereas the Jimmy Perez in the show looked more Scandinavian than Spanish. Why do T.V. and movie producers do this?
I remember reading, years ago, Jeffery Deaver's book The Bone Collector and then seeing the movie. I was so disappointed with the movie. In the book,Lincoln Rhyme was a white man, Amelia Sachs was Jewish and Lincoln's carer was a gay white man.
In the movie Lincoln Rhyme was played by Denzel Washington, African American. Amelia Sachs became Amelia Donaghy, Irish American and the Gay white carer became Nurse Thelma, an overweight African American female.
What is the point?

message 8: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol! And we all enjoyed Tom Cruise playing the role of Jack Reacher didn't we:)

message 9: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

What!!!! lol

message 10: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes he did Brenda. Tiny little Tom Cruise was supposed to be our strapping over six foot tall Jack Reacher. It was pretty laughable.

message 11: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Why on earth would "they" think Cruise could equal Jack Reacher's character??? Obviously none of them had read the books!

message 12: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think it was Tom Cruise himself who thought he was the man!

message 13: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha! Well he always full of himself so I guess that's fair!!

Kylie H | 786 comments Yes, most adaptations of books are epic let downs! And casting is often very dubious. I have not watched a lot of films as I am scared they will ruin the book for me, I want my mental imagery not an airbrushed Hollywood version of it!

message 15: by Heather (last edited Apr 13, 2018 10:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather | 39 comments I just try to keep them separate, and enjoy them for what they are. "Bones" is another one that's completely different.
But I did love the book. a 5 ★ for me. I remember my husband saying that he didn't want to read her books as the TV shows are so bleak,
which I think comes from the whole visual effect of the them, and that's the thing in books you have the characters thoughts but not so much of what you can see.

message 16: by Rowena (new) - added it

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Phrynne wrote: "Lol! And we all enjoyed Tom Cruise playing the role of Jack Reacher didn't we:)"

LOL, That cracked me up, Phrynne. Apparently The Rock tried for the role and lost it to Tom.

message 17: by Rowena (new) - added it

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Hi everyone,
I just finished reading Raven Black. Loved it! After the dramas of trying to get the previous two books from the library I decided to buy the book (my self-imposed economy didn't last long LOL).

I wasn't enthusiastic, I have to admit.

I LOVED the series (and Vera) and feeling a little bereft when they finished I bought a copy of A Lesson In Dying by Ann Cleaves. I found the mystery excellent but the style underwhelming. Well, after enjoying Raven Black I shall have to go back and have another read.

IMHO Raven Black is well crafted. Cleeves is so good at getting inside her characters' heads while retaining that omniscience I found so annoying in A Lesson in Dying. I really felt for Magnus--and his crow. The revelation came as a surprise. Not easy to pull that off without me feeling cheated of the puzzle.

I'm glad I didn't read it too soon after binge-watching the series because, as you've all pointed out, the two have little in common.
Thanks for nominating this book. :)

message 18: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just finished this one. I found it to be a slow burn - it wasn't riveting where I couldn't put it down. I had no trouble getting back to it when I picked it up again. The atmosphere was great - bleak and disturbing, similar to Peter May's settings :)

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 1045 comments Would you continue with the series, Brenda?

message 20: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not sure Sharon - I think I will, but not straight away :)

Kylie H | 786 comments Hi Rowena, I totally relate to how you felt about Magnus, he was the perfect foil and was SO misunderstood. I am sure that there are many people out there who are just like him, outcasts because they don't fit the norm. It was one of the things I liked about Jimmy Perez, he had empathy and reserved his judgement.

message 22: by Rowena (last edited Apr 20, 2018 01:50AM) (new) - added it

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Kylie wrote: "Hi Rowena, I totally relate to how you felt about Magnus, he was the perfect foil and was SO misunderstood. I am sure that there are many people out there who are just like him, outcasts because th..."

Agree, Kylie. Probably why I related to him (lol--sort of). I also love the way they are all obsessed about where others come from--which island etc. I read somewhere that Ann Cleaves worked on one of the islands in a role that something to do with bird conservation. I wonder what it was like for her (an outsider) there.
*probably answered my own question there. :)

Kylie H | 786 comments It is not specific to this region of the world. When I was growing up we moved to a few different towns in regional Victoria, I was always the 'new kid' and never quite felt like one of 'them'. In some places you don't belong until you have a family member in the cemetery! How depressing is that.…. :o(

message 24: by Rowena (new) - added it

Rowena Holloway | 54 comments Very. That must have been hard for you always being the new person. I have lived on the LeFevre peninsular since I was 6. Still not considered a 'peninsular person'. Never knew there was such a thing until a UK friend told me! Maybe that means I am local enough nor to notice things incomers do.😊

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 438 comments Kylie wrote: "It is not specific to this region of the world. When I was growing up we moved to a few different towns in regional Victoria, I was always the 'new kid' and never quite felt like one of 'them'. In ..."

I agree, Kylie.

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 438 comments I enjoyed reading Raven Black. I like the way, Ann Cleeves portrayals her characters. Ann Cleeves knows how to keep me engaged with the plot.

message 27: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree Jenny. I must find time to get back to her books:)

message 28: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Good luck with that!

message 29: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol!!!
I have to start loading my kindle up for my holidays soon. I can get quite a lot read on aeroplanes:)

message 30: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha! You have to load yours - I have to unload mine!

message 31: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well truthfully it has a lot of books on it. I just have to make sure the ones I need are on there!

message 32: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

That sounds fair!

Kerri_M | 668 comments I was late starting this book due to work projects, and so a little late finishing.

While I had seen the odd episode of Shetland, I hadn't seen enough to have any ideas about what this book would be about. So I came in fresh, and enjoyed it - 4 ★.

Responding to other comments in this thread:
- if I have really loved a book/book series, I never watch the movie/tv series. No point in going out of my way to irritate and disappoint myself, so I just stay away!
- Tom Cruise = Jack Reacher? Ridiculous.
- Scottish mysteries, and particularly those set in the islands/coastal regions have become a big favourite of mine in the last 10 years. Where possible, I try to get them on audiobook, because the scottish accents adds to the sense of place and atmosphere.

I will give the next book in the series a go.

message 34: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Love Scottish accents Kerri :)

message 35: by Tien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 128 comments So I watched the first episode of Shetland yesterday and was baffled because nothing seems familiar! Then I found out that this first episode is actually based on book 3, Red Bones, which I actually have NOT read *sighs*

message 36: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have read it and there is still not much in common between the books and the show:)

message 37: by Tien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 128 comments lol, thanks, Phrynne!

message 38: by Kadi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kadi (kads) | 65 comments I'm a bit late, but finished last night. I thought the book was good, didn't suspect Sally at all. I wasn't sure who the killer was but didn't think it was Robert.

I've not watched any of the tv show either. I really disliked The Dark Tower movie as you cannot make one movie out of a whole series of books. Although, I enjoyed Ready Player One the movie and I'd read the book beforehand.

message 39: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh the Dark Tower movie was hopeless. It went off in its own direction with no regard for the books. I don't know why they bothered!

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Raven Black (other topics)
Red Bones (other topics)
A Lesson In Dying (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Cleeves (other topics)
Peter May (other topics)