Aussie Readers discussion

The Tea Gardens
This topic is about The Tea Gardens
Archives > April 2018-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-The Tea Gardens

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11122 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on The Tea Gardens by Fiona McIntosh The Tea Gardensby Fiona McIntosh

Andrea | 1585 comments I finished reading this book a couple of days ago, and here is my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Warning, spoilers are allowed here so back out now if you really don't want to know what's ahead!

One thing I didn't comment on in my review was the caste issues, culminating in honour killings, that became a turning point in the plot. Despite what governments and even some human rights organisations tell us, caste is still very much a thing in India and the region, but so, so, so much more back in the time when this novel was set. I found it extremely distressing to read, but I appreciated the sensitivity with which McIntosh approached this in her story, while at the same time not holding anything back. Moreover I have to say that I truly admired the fact that she didn't allow her heroine, Isla, the absolution from blame for her role in events, that a poorer, lazier writer might have given. That's gutsy.

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 688 comments Who would you pick if you were Isla - Saxon or Jove? I believe Isla did the right thing in marring Jove.

message 4: by Tien (new) - added it

Tien (tiensblurb) | 576 comments umph, I have troubles with love triangles... so I was kinda looking for some sort of help in determining whether I should press on or DNF. I'm not quite half-way yet... She's just met Saxon...

What do you think?

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
I really enjoyed it Tien - I say keep going ;) But it's up to you!

Andrea | 1585 comments Tien wrote: "umph, I have troubles with love triangles... so I was kinda looking for some sort of help in determining whether I should press on or DNF. I'm not quite half-way yet... She's just met Saxon..."

I don't really look at it as a love triangle in the traditional sense (and this goes some way towards answering the question that Jenny has posed above) because Jove was such a nothing character. Yes, Isla and Jove spent a nice day together in Brighton, but apart from that I think the author has asked us to trust her when she tells us of the deep feelings Isla has for Jove. I didn't see it. But in the end she couldn't have Saxon because he simply wasn't available.

message 7: by Tien (new) - added it

Tien (tiensblurb) | 576 comments My main issue with love triangles is betrayals / faithlessness / infidelity. I was listening to audiobook and I wasn't sure if I want to spend 6 more hours or more on it so I listened to the last track (epilogue) and yes, I found out there that Saxon wasn't available right from the moment they met and that clinched it for me. DNF - I can't do this one, sorry, guys... glad that you enjoyed it though :)

@Andrea: Isla isn't an issue at all for me here... and I also agree with her decision, thankfully, but I still can't deal with 6+ hours of audio ;p

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Another reason I just can't do audio ;)

message 9: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11122 comments Mod
I sometimes have to abandon books on audio because you can’t skim which is what I do with paper books I am not enjoying!

message 10: by Tien (new) - added it

Tien (tiensblurb) | 576 comments yes, there are definite cons to audiobook but so good while you're on the go, in the car, walking, and sometimes, when I have to stand on the train commute for 40 mins straight.... too hard to hold a book but I'm still 'reading' :)

message 11: by Jenny (last edited Apr 15, 2018 05:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 688 comments I know that readers do not like Jove Mandeville. However, I loved that character. The way Jove Mandeville realise that he needed to allow Isla to follow her dreams. The character I do not like is Professor Saxon Vickery.

My review of

The Tea Gardens by Fiona McIntosh
The Tea Gardens by Fiona McIntosh - 4 ★
Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeanette, your link goes to the book's page :)

Heather | 349 comments I gave this 3 ★
I didn't mind the story, it was how they spoke it seemed pre WW1 not 1933. Isla irked me a bit, I thought for a woman who studied medicine in the 1920's she would have a bit more nouse on how to deal with men.

Genevieve | 100 comments This is the first book I’ve read by Fiona McIntosh and I don’t imagine it will be the last.
I greatly enjoyed the book and found particular pleasure in reading the descriptions of the Darjeeling region and the tea plantation. Had there been one handy I’m sure I would have been reaching for a travel guide.
I felt the telling of the story of Pratiti and Naz was skilfully done. I finished the book a couple of weeks ago and the details still come to mind readily and their impact haunts me.
I also enjoyed the occasional unexpected elements in the story. Things like Miles turning up at the plantation and the fact that Jove and Frances had contrived the meeting we learn about in the prologue. These small aspects jolted me out of complacency at points when I might have felt the story was becoming predictable.

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad you enjoyed it Genevieve :) I agree with your comments - I love her work and especially loved The Chocolate Tin