Aussie Readers discussion

Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
This topic is about Tomorrow, When the War Began
Archives > April 2018-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-Tomorrow When the War Began

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 11324 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 69321 comments Mod
I wonder if I should read this one again - it was a LONG time ago that I read it, and I know I really enjoyed it :)

message 3: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 11324 comments Mod
I read it quite a long time ago too, and I saw the movie as well which was pretty good.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have the DVD here but haven't watched it yet! It was made not far from here so I bought it straight away! lol Just a few years ago!!!

Carolyn | 7945 comments I read it a couple of years ago as a YA book in an AR challenge. Thought it was pretty good?

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes I remember enjoying the whole series!

Kylie (kyliemaree) | 878 comments I remember absolutely devouring these as a child - I'm going to try to get a hold of a copy and read it with the group. *fingers crossed* :)

Steve | 909 comments Phrynne wrote: "I read it quite a long time ago too, and I saw the movie as well which was pretty good."

I actually actively avoided the movie because I didn't want to replace the pictures in my head of what I thought the characters looked like.

Jacm | 206 comments Kylie wrote: "I remember absolutely devouring these as a child - I'm going to try to get a hold of a copy and read it with the group. *fingers crossed* :)"

Same here Kylie! I remember there being a wait list at our school library just to borrow them when a new one came out.

I 're-read' them a couple of years ago by listening to the audiobooks while driving. Definitely stood up to the test of time.

message 10: by Mish (last edited Apr 04, 2018 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 3495 comments I did too Kylie and Jacm. After reading the 1st book, I read the rest of the series practically one after the other. But I read them very late in life.

I remember thinking Marsden's portrayal of the teenagers and the voice Ellie was authentic - very fitting for a 17yo. The teenagers had one advantage over the intruders - they were born and raised in this small country town and they knew it inside out. They didn't have any high tech weapons to defend themselves - (in the 1st book that is, guns came in later on in the series) - I really liked how they used that knowledge of the land and machinery to plot and plan their attacked. Exciting stuff!

message 11: by Baz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 91 comments I’ve read this at least 3 times (the entire series) and have encouraged many others to do so.
Such a great story, so incredibly topical to any period in the last few decades and so believable.
Hope everyone enjoyed/is still enjoying.

Heather | 350 comments Enjoyed this book. Zoomed through it. I was quite like that for once it was a YA book that although being a bit apocalyptic wasn't depressing.

message 13: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace (aceonroam) I've just finished book 2 The Dead of Night and Marsden is just a terrific writer, kept the story going, introduced fresh and exciting new adventures. Our little pack of teens are growing up fast!

Anita | 18 comments john Marsden has great books I enjoyed them did not want to watch the movie