Aussie Readers discussion

Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
This topic is about Tomorrow, When the War Began
Archives > April 2018-First Thoughts-**No Spoilers**-Tomorrow When the War Began

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (last edited Mar 30, 2018 01:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Theresa Fuller | 33 comments Liked the book, but it took a while to get started.

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3151 comments I first read this when our kids were looking at it. (On the principle that you should always know what they're reading.) My first reading left me uneasy - not because of content, but because it was set in Australia.

The book's themes and concepts have been explored many times, but always in the context of another country, and not my own. I think this was what left me feeling - uneasy I think is the best term. It made things more immediate and intimate.

message 4: by Kerri_M (new) - added it

Kerri_M | 389 comments I have read this book 3 or 4 times at least over the years, starting when one of my nephews was young, and I was trying to interest him in reading (worked for a while, but didn't take as a permanent thing, now I am working on his kids!)

I like Marsden generally, and enjoyed this series, particularly the first 3 books. I hope everyone enjoys.

Chyina | 28 comments I am liking the book so far. I'm roughly half way through it. I must admit though that it was a little slow going at first and slightly confusing, even now.

I don't mind the first person narrative, but when there are the occasional " missing at the beginning or end of dialogue, it can throw you off very quickly. Not sure if others saw these error in their books or not, as I'm reading the kindle version.

I like how well the characters seem to be defined and believable in their personalities. Although, Elie did get on my verves a bit at the beginning, but I have since warmed up to her.

I think I would have to agree with Leonie that this book leaves you "... feeling - uneasy I think is the best term. It made things more immediate and intimate." I mean, really, if this did happen here, like that. It just adds this creepy, boogie-man kind of shiver on your spine. But not in a jump-out-at-you-scared or repulsive-gory-shock.

I've read other books where similar things have happened, say in the US or UK, but they never left me with this nagging at the back of my head that I can't seem to shake. That's not necessarily a bad thing either. I enjoy books that elicit emotions I don't often, or perhaps have never, felt while reading.

So, I am enjoying it and am eager to finish to see what happens. As it stands now, I will probably be reading the others in this series too.

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 69307 comments Mod
Glad you're enjoying it and for the first time too Chyina!

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments I really enjoyed this book - I didnt read it until after the movie came out. Somehow never go around to reading the next one though, I must correct that.

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole series Deborah :)

message 9: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace (aceonroam) I finished this book and loved it. I managed to get an audio on BorrowBox, the narrators voice was fantastic, I believe she is a tv actress but I am not familiar with her.

I put off reading this for so long because I thought it was going to be hard work, depressing and too much sci fi for me to handle. I was so wrong!

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad you enjoyed it Ace! It's certainly something different isn't it, especially for when it was written!