Mock Printz 2022 discussion

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
This topic is about Children of Blood and Bone
Mock Printz 2019 > April: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) | 86 comments Children of Blood and Bone was the clear winner in our poll of what to read during the month of April. Do you think this debut epic fantasy is a contender for Printz?

message 2: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments Hi everyone! Really excited to be discussing with you all and super excited to help Jenna out as a moderator!!

I thought I'd start us off with what the criteria is for a Printz contender. The following information is from ALA's website:

"All forms of writing—fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art, and any combination of these, including anthologies—are eligible.

The following criteria are only suggested guidelines and should in no way be considered as absolutes. They will always be open to change and adaptation. Depending on the book, one or more of these criteria will apply:

Story
Voice
Style
Setting
Accuracy
Characters
Theme
Illustrations
Design (including format, organization, etc.)

For each book the questions and answers will be different, the weight of the various criteria will be different."

Given this criteria, what stuck out to you the most from Children of Blood and Bone?

Looking forward to chatting!!

Bang Bang Books I think it will be considered but I don't think it will get an honor. Firstly, fantasy rarely receive honors. Secondly, there aren't as many themes as a Strange the Dreamer. I do think it's a strong contender for Morris.

Robyn (robyn_bravi) Children of Blood and Bone has some powerful elements such as fantastic diverse characters, the rich West African mythology, and a Nigerian inspired setting. But, I don't feel the the story is Printz quality. I agree with Dawn this could be a Morris potential. Another book that's on my radar for the Morris and possibly Printz is The Astonishing Color of After.

message 5: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 54 comments Frankly, I can't imagine this book being considered for Printz. The plotting and character development are just not there. While the setting is unique to YA fantasy, nothing else is, unfortunately.

message 6: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments Tatiana, can you also see it as being a contender for Morris?

What do you all think a fantasy novel needs to be even considered for Printz, since they rarely receive honors?

message 7: by Tatiana (last edited Apr 07, 2018 10:48AM) (new) - added it

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 54 comments Tegan wrote: "Tatiana, can you also see it as being a contender for Morris?

What do you all think a fantasy novel needs to be even considered for Printz, since they rarely receive honors?"

Just to compare with another fantasy that did receive a Morris, Seraphina was a much stronger novel in terms of the world building, the quality of writing and the depth of characters, IMO, of course. Even though I personally didn't love Seraphina, I could see why it received Morris.

Children of Blood and Bone would fall more into the realm of commercial fiction I think. Kind of like An Ember in the Ashes.

For a fantasy to be considered for Printz, I think not only does it need to be superbly written on a sentence level, but it needs to break beyond the tropes and typical story lines. I thought Tess of the Road by the same Rachel Hartman, achieved that and should be a Printz contender this year.

Mandy (mandysouthgate) | 17 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this book and gave it five out of five stars but I judged it as a lover of fantasy young adult fiction. As a relative newcomer to this group, I’d have to agree that it’s not Printz-worthy. As fantasy YA, the plot is pretty standard in terms of discovering or receiving a talent, going on a quest of discovery, fighting the odd battle and delivering the next book in the series via a cliffhanger. I think this plotting is what differentiates it between normal commercial YA fantasy fiction and a work of superior literary fiction. Nevertheless, I’ve read a number of books on genocide and conflict in Rwanda, Nigeria and Congo and was impressed by some of the detail regarding the conflicts in the book.

message 9: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments Tatiana, I am very much looking forward to reading Tess of the Road. I hope we all vote on it here and can see how it differs and would be considered for Printz! I was also not a fan of Seraphina, but could see why it received it as well.

I agree with you Mandy! It definitely had similarities to many regular YA fantasy novels, especially after just finishing another one I had to separate myself. I also agree that it differentiates itself in other ways, making it standout. I'm a big YA fantasy fan too, so it was easy to fall in love with it on that level. Also, thank you for joining us!

As this is the author's first novel, do you think that played a part in it? See her work growing in the future?

Bang Bang Books Tegan wrote: "Tatiana, can you also see it as being a contender for Morris?

What do you all think a fantasy novel needs to be even considered for Printz, since they rarely receive honors?"

I'm a fantasy fan and I think it's rare that fantasy wins because they often lack style, voice, and multipule themes. Strange the Dreamer was the exception because the end was the prologue which contriubuted to style. I think Strange and Eril-Fane had a unique voice and there were several very strong themes. I also felt the story was quite nuanced and considering all the characters there were, they had their own voice and were well rounded.

I enjoyed Blood and Bone immensly and gave it a perfect five stars but the story nor the characters are nuanced enough. While there are multiple themes, they aren't necessarily new. What I liked most from Blood and Bone was that Adeyemi made it difficult for the reader to pick a side of the good vs. evil trope. I also liked the setting and the inclusion of Nigerian folklore.

Maureen (mhsquier) | 79 comments I loved the diversity of this book, I thought the characters were as well developed as they could be in a fantasy novel with so much plot going on. I couldn't put it down on several occasions!

I echo what many others have said though, that I don't think it will be among the Printz winners. The criteria mentions the phrase "literary excellence", and while this book is good I don't think it hits that high mark.

message 12: by Tegan (new) - added it

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments Dawn, I agree with you!! It was hard to pick a side. I found myself leaning one way and then with the next chapter, back to the other! She executed that very well.

Maureen, agreed as well! It was an addicting read hard to put down, but didn't quite hit that mark.

Did you all have a favorite character?

Also, be sure to check out the poll Jenna sent for the vote for next month's read!!

Reving | 53 comments I REALLY liked this! And I am NOT a fantasy person. http://revingsblog.blogspot.com/2018/...

message 14: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments I listened to this in audio format and WOWZA what a treat. All those words that you glossed over. I got to hear them pronounced. I was really entranced until about the mid point of the book where I felt it dragged right up to the end with little moments of excitement. I am with all of you...not a Printz contender, but certainly a solid read, unique to my way of reading, and a possible Morris award contender (at least a Morris Award Short-lister.) One of my blog friends said there is already a movie in the works. Can that be true so soon?

Mandy (mandysouthgate) | 17 comments Oh, that must have been good Anne - I had tried to Google the pronunciations but hadn’t figured it out.