What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Large Age Gap Siblings

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Book that are about or contain large age gaps between siblings and how that age gap affects them and/or their parents.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Tibby has two younger siblings, Nicky and Katherine, who are respectively thirteen and fourteen years younger than her. Tibby often feels like an outcast in her own family, viewing herself as a leftover of her parents' former life. As a result, she resents her younger siblings and tries to distance herself from them

Seven Minutes in Heaven (view spoiler)

Artemis Fowl Butler is twenty years older than his sister Juliet. (view spoiler)

message 2: by El (new)

El | 502 comments The Turner House by Angela Flournoy. The age gap between the first and the last child was 23 years. (Though there were 13 siblings altogether in the story, the focus is primarily on the first and the last.)

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments El wrote: "The Turner House by Angela Flournoy. The age gap between the first and the last child was 23 years. (Though there were 13 siblings altogether in the story, the focus is primarily on..."

Thank you.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments The main character of Naked Came the Sasquatch is raising his two much younger brothers, and they’re a handful. He also has to deal with

1) A brother close to his own age who is the town troublemaker and obsessed with catching a Bigfoot.

2) Running the local newspaper, which has been in the family for generations but is close to being destroyed by a rich preacher that recently moved to town.

3) His growing attraction to the new reporter he recently hired.

4) A string of grisly murders that are terrorizing the area and for which the prime suspects are either the MC’s brother or the Bigfoot he’s pursuing.

The book is a great read and much funnier than my description makes it sound.

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Peter wrote: "The main character of Naked Came the Sasquatch is raising his two much younger brothers, and they’re a handful. He also has to deal with

1) A brother close to his own age who is the..."

Sounds great, Peter thank you.

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Apr 02, 2018 06:07PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Wolf with Benefits PNR (humourous) where the MC has 10 younger brothers and sisters--the 2 youngest of which are 3 year old twins while she's in her 20's. Oh--and all ten are child prodigies. She's the only "normal" one in her family except for her father. Her mother was also a child prodigy.

The Accidental TV Star Marissa has 2 half brothers that are about 10 years younger than she is. This is a YA/NA romance, but it's a fun, quick read that would be perfect for the beach/poolside--especially if you have a nook or kindle--or even a tablet that doubles as an electric reading device. (And I won't tell you how old I am--but I will admit to having grandkids, and I still enjoyed the entire Accidental series by Emily Evans. Pure escapist literature, but when you don't feel good or you are looking for light and fluffy, this series is a great "go to."

Unexpected Ray, the female MC, is raising her younger brother and working as a mercenary part time for the funds needed for that.

Dragon Actually Annwyl the Bloody has an older brother who's out to kill her (which is how she gets her nickname.) PNR with dragon shapeshifters. Also, has a good bit of humour in it.

Blue Christmas (which has the added advantage of being a Christmas book AND has the ghost of Elvis in it) in one of the stories has 2 older siblings and I believe their aunt raising the much younger kids while trying to hold onto their family farm.

Yours, Mine and Howls while not siblings per se', Ally is raising her younger cousin. She was 16 when she "inherited" him after his step-father killed his mother. PNR

Most of the books that I have read with large age ranges between siblings are ones where the older sibling (real, step or even just "I love the kid and s/he's all the family I have even if we aren't related) is raising the younger one or ones.

And I have to say--I do understand those older (and younger) siblings. My oldest (half) sibling is 19 years older than I am and my youngest (half) sibling is 18 years younger. There are 14 of us altogether by 4 different combinations of parental units.

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Wolf with Benefits PNR (humourous) where the MC has 10 younger brothers and sisters--the 2 youngest of which are 3 year old twins while she's in her 20's. Oh--and all ten are child ..."

Wow, Thank you, Ann aka Iftcan.

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Large Bump from the last Bump*

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - young man raises his much younger sibling after their parents die (non fiction)

Depends what you consider a big age gap, but Anastasia Krupnik was ten when her brother Sam was born.

Similarly Adrian Mole got a new baby sister when he was a teenager, in The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole.

The Flossie Teacake series is about a 9 year old whose older siblings are 16 and 18, and she feels left out due to the age gap. Then she finds a magic fur coat that lets her experience life as a teenager. The first book is Flossie Teacake's Fur Coat

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Rachel wrote: "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - young man raises his much younger sibling after their parents die (non fiction)

Depends what you consider a big age gap, but [book:Anastasia..."

Thank you very much, Rachel.

message 15: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5206 comments I can't believe no one's mentioned Sharp Objects!

message 16: by Ann (last edited Aug 12, 2019 08:40AM) (new)

message 17: by Moloch (last edited Aug 15, 2019 08:11AM) (new)

Moloch | 311 comments This is interesting but it's a memoir, not fiction: In My Brother's Shadow: A Life and Death in the SS

The author, Uwe Timm (b. 1940), had a brother who was almost 20 years older than him, he volunteered in the SS and died in the war in 1943. Timm barely remembers him.
The book is about his attempt at finding out more about this long lost brother from his diary and letters from the front, understanding how his parents coped with his death, the Nazi regime and its aftermath, the responsibilities of the German people, all from the point of view of one of the "after war" generation (the ones that were too young to be responsible and try to understand how it was possible). (so the age gap between the two brothers is a key point).

message 18: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5206 comments The Case of the Missing Marquess is the first in one of my favorite series.

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Rosa wrote: "The Case of the Missing Marquess is the first in one of my favorite series."

Moloch wrote: "This is interesting but it's a memoir, not fiction: In My Brother's Shadow: A Life and Death in the SS

The author, Uwe Timm (b. 1940), had a brother who was almost 20 years older tha..."

Thank you guys, these books sound great.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
The Transit of Venus

The two protagonist sisters have a much older half-sister who raises them when they're orphaned.

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Thx ladies

message 23: by Rash (new)

Rash (i_read_anything) | 67 comments I don't know if this is already included
but you can check out
The Making of May by Gwenyth Reese

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Rash wrote: "I don't know if this is already included
but you can check out
The Making of May by Gwenyth Reese"

It hasn't. Thank you.

The Making of May clickable

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 200 comments One of my favourites (which I reconnected with through this forum) is The Lark Shall Sing
An older book, from England, regarding a family with three older siblings and three much younger ones. The eldest looked after the younger ones when their parents got sick and then passed away. They've been separated for a year and the family house rented out. The eldest decides to put the house on the market at the end of the year, and the rest flock home to prevent her, bringing various helpers and hangers-on. Sweet, funny book.

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Valerie wrote: "One of my favourites (which I reconnected with through this forum) is The Lark Shall Sing
An older book, from England, regarding a family with three older siblings and three much you..."

Aw! Thank you so much.

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments Sister of the Quints by Stella Pevsner features a thirteen-year-old girl whose stepmother has baby quintuplets. Sister of the Quints

Cara's Craftsations | 1859 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The Other Shepards"

Thank you.