Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Issues with Quotes > Johann Wolfgand von Goethe Quote Incorrect

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Hello, I have been researching quotes, and stumbled upon this one, which is full attributed to von Goethe (see below; comments to follow).
-----
“I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.”
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
-----
From my research, the bottom of the quote, starting with 'If we treat people..." is indeed from his "Wilhelm Meister’s Lehrjahre." However, the rest of the quote, from the beginning to "If we treat people..." is, as far as I can find, from a book by Haim Ginott about education, published quite a bit later. He may well have paraphrased from something of von Goethe's, but I can't find it. That said, I know that even if he did, it's not part of the "If you treat people..." quote.

Thanks!

message 2: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 1046 comments Both quotes are entered to GoodReads, changed the attributions accordingly.