Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Billboards & Paid Social Media Advertising

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tephra (last edited Mar 30, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Tephra Miriam | 18 comments Hi All! I was just wondering if anyone has had some success purchasing billboards and also doing paid social media promotions on Twitter and Facebook? There is one billboard in a great area where I am in Chicago that has one of Nora Jones' books and it has been up for a while. It's not terribly expensive to purchase and I figured that if a publishing company is keeping it up for a while that it must be producing revenue? It is about $2,000 though. Not terrible but a good chunk of change to spend. I've done the Twitter and Facebook promotions but didn't see any direct impact on book sales. I was wondering if anyone has had a different experience! Thank you for your knowledge!

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim Schaefer | 27 comments Twitter and Facebook ads did next to nothing for me either. I'm currently doing a Goodreads giveaway of 100 kindle copies of one of my books, and I'm hoping that will generate some reviews. I have considered billboards...it's an intriguing idea. I thought of putting up one in Times Square or something crazy like that. Quite expensive, to say the least, but if you wanted to make a BIG splash...

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Tephra wrote: "It is about $2,000 though. Not terrible but a good chunk of change to spend...."

With any advertising, you have to ask yourself what return on investment (ROI) you'll accept. What works for Nora Roberts and a Big Five publisher may not work for an indie publisher.

On the other hand, if you just want to see your book on a billboard, then the cost is immaterial :)

message 4: by Lila (new)

Lila Diller I hope this is helpful. On our way to church this morning, I finally noticed a billboard that has been there for weeks and weeks, my husband said. I specifically tried to find a Call-to-Action; but there was none. There was only a website in very small letters that was long and hard to read and not memorable. If you do decide to go with a billboard, make sure it's easy to see where to go to buy the book; also make sure the title and genre are obvious and easy to read.