Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Vanity Fair
This topic is about Vanity Fair
Old School Classics, Pre-1900 > Vanity Fair -- No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9663 comments Mod
We are reading Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray for the 2nd Quarter (April - June) 2018 Group Long Read.

The group read this in September 2011 with three spoiler threads:
Vanity Fair Chapters 1-19
Vanity Fair Chapters 20-49
Entire Book Spoilers

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I plan to read a section of the book (as divided above) each month for this quarter.

We didn't have much of a discussion the first time around, so the threads are mostly empty. I'm looking forward to discussing the book with many of you.

message 3: by Pink (last edited Mar 30, 2018 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6554 comments Oh, I was thinking about delaying this until May, but since we already have existing threads, that nicely break up the book, I might stick to this quarterly schedule. I'm looking forward to it, been delaying reading for too many years!

Susie | 755 comments I plan to join in, but not until May...

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susie wrote: "I plan to join in, but not until May..."

We will still be reading then.

Terris | 2695 comments I'm excited -- I have my "plan" all ready! I'll probably stick with Katy's plan (as listed above). That seems very doable :)
As Pink said "I've been delaying reading this for too many years!"
Let's go!

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1233 comments I'm already reading this with another group as an 8 week March-April read. I'm a bit behind schedule there though, and I'll happily join in discussion here too.

message 8: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine | 1217 comments I'm looking forward to reading this one with the group. I will try to follow the schedule listed above also.

message 9: by Kathleen (last edited Mar 30, 2018 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen | 4057 comments Yay--I'm excited about this one!

Unfortunately I just got my long-awaited library copy of The Odyssey, which I have to read quickly so it can go to the next anxious person. I will try to fit Vanity Fair in as much as possible and keep as close to the schedule as I can, but will be running a little late.

message 10: by Marina (last edited Mar 31, 2018 01:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marina (sonnenbarke) I will be reading along - it's my first group read with the group and I'm excited. I think I'll start reading soon-ish (I need to finish up something else first). I didn't like Thackeray's Barry Lyndon back when I read it for University (although I loved the movie!), but I think I might like this one.

message 11: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina | 20 comments I've been reading this book. It's taking me a while to get through. I'll do my best to join in on conversations.

Terris | 2695 comments I just read the first chapter -- I like Becky Sharp already! ;)

Nente | 780 comments I reread this only the last year, so won't join in reading this time, but will keep an eye on the discussions for any interesting titbits =)

message 14: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Apr 02, 2018 05:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I've pulled my copy out, so I am ready to start reading. Probably tomorrow. I only need to read about 5 chapters a week, so this should be doable for the quarter.

I actually have no idea what this book is about -- some classics I've known the basic idea of the story line, but not this one. Looking forward to a new author for me also.

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I get a similar feel as when I read Dickens -- the serial idea; however, so far I am enjoying this one much more than the average Dicken's novel.

Nente | 780 comments I think one difference from Dickens is that he almost always has at least one wholehearted villain, past all sympathy and redemption. Thackeray I'd say sympathized with every character.

message 17: by Ron (new) - added it

Ron | 7 comments I'm so excited to read this with you guys! Has been on my list for a while, glad to find a group that's just starting it.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) *patiently waits for my copy to arrive from Book Depository*

Looking forward to joining in soon!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started this. Reading about a couple of chapters a day at the moment but I'm enjoying it so much I'm finding it hard to stop reading.

message 20: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori wrote: "I've started this. Reading about a couple of chapters a day at the moment but I'm enjoying it so much I'm finding it hard to stop reading."

That is a drawback to a good book. But don't worry if you finish up quickly; the discussion threads are ready and open for you.

Terris | 2695 comments Lori wrote: "I've started this. Reading about a couple of chapters a day at the moment but I'm enjoying it so much I'm finding it hard to stop reading."

I feel the same way! I have tried to read this one before and quit. And now I'm wondering why! I am really enjoying it. I'm wanting to read more than my alotted amount per day ;)

message 22: by Bobbie (new) - added it

Bobbie | 98 comments I just started and I'm so glad to see that others are enjoying it. That's a good sign. I started this in high school but didn't get very far at that time.

message 23: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6554 comments Me too, I'm on chapter 8 but it's quite fun so far. I'll post in the first spoiler thread once I've read upto chapter 20.

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink wrote: "Me too, I'm on chapter 8 but it's quite fun so far. I'll post in the first spoiler thread once I've read upto chapter 20."

I'm at the same place in the book.

message 25: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6554 comments Are you enjoying it Katy? My plan is to read slowly, but if it keeps my attention I might quicken the pace. My copy has page breaks for the original monthly instalments, which work out to be every three or four chapters. I tend to take a break after each of these sections, but luckily don't have to wait a month until the next part!

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes, I am enjoying the read. I'm keeping my copy for my "downstairs" reading. So it forces me to read a bit slower as the basement is not the main area of the house.

message 27: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6554 comments You're keeping it for downstairs reading in the basement?! That doesnt sound creepy at all! 😳

message 28: by siriusedward (new) - added it

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Pink wrote: "You're keeping it for downstairs reading in the basement?! That doesnt sound creepy at all! 😳"

message 29: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Apr 09, 2018 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink wrote: "You're keeping it for downstairs reading in the basement?! That doesnt sound creepy at all! 😳"

LOL

It is a daylight basement & with the dog having a broken leg and all it is the easiest place in the house for her to get around. And it walks out to a nice fenced backyard & gazebo.

So not creepy at all with huge windows filling the entire walkout side. Plus it has a little kitchenette, a bathroom, 2 bedrooms (that are now craft rooms with all the children out of the house), an exercise area, and a TV room with the big screen and music/sound system.

But the computer is upstairs in the library/office, and the real kitchen is upstairs and our bedroom also.

message 30: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee | 864 comments Katy wrote: "Pink wrote: "You're keeping it for downstairs reading in the basement?! That doesnt sound creepy at all! 😳"

LOL

It is a daylight basement & with the dog having a broken leg and all it is the easi..."

That sounds really nice! *was totally not picturing you locked in a basement reading Vanity Fair to cheer you up*

Terris | 2695 comments Renee wrote: "Katy wrote: "Pink wrote: "You're keeping it for downstairs reading in the basement?! That doesnt sound creepy at all! 😳"

LOL

It is a daylight basement & with the dog having a broken leg and all i..."

Yes, Katy, thank you for the description of your basement. I'm feeling much better about your reading Vanity Fair down there ;)

Kathleen | 4057 comments That sounds so lovely, Katy! And I bet the puppy is happy for your company too.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments The fact that this group is reading this book is awesome, for me. I began this book at the start of 2018 with a different group that I belong to, but only got about 55% finished before the group moved on....BUT I was really enjoying it, (despite the fact that every now and then there are a few HUNDRED extra, unneeded words) and was sad that I hadn't had the opportunity to finish and ---BAM!--- I can simply just keep reading as now THIS group is reading it! That worked out pretty well, eh? Personally? I think that this book is darn HILARIOUS for the most part! ---Jen from Quebec :0)

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Apr 09, 2018 08:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen from Quebec -- so glad that we could make your quarter read!

message 35: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen wrote: "That sounds so lovely, Katy! And I bet the puppy is happy for your company too."

I do have a lovely view, but a broken leg casted for 8 weeks with a pup is driving me crazy.

Marina (sonnenbarke) I will be starting today during my lunch break, I think. I can't wait :)

message 37: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6554 comments Katy, that's certainly not creepy, though I knew it wouldn't be really! Sounds a lovely place to read, I hope the puppy is on the mend too :)

BAM the enigma I hate this book
That is all

message 39: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee | 864 comments BAM wrote: "I hate this book
That is all"

I haven't started it yet. What didn't you like about it?

BAM the enigma Well I may have made the mistake and listened to a bad audio version? I’m not sure. He just droned on and I felt like nothing was happening, at least at my desired pace. If I have time I’ll pick up my paper copy and give it another go. I’m finishing up two other challenges this month.

message 41: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

BAM wrote: "I hate this book
That is all"

LOL
Short and to the point. A bad audio version can certainly make for a bad experience. I am reading it in paper form, and enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Michele | 1012 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "...every now and then there are a few HUNDRED extra, unneeded words..."

The Emperor Franz Joseph feels your pain :)

Doreen Petersen I have too many lengthy to-read books on my list but this one is coming up and really looking forward to it.

message 44: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee | 864 comments Doreen wrote: "I have too many lengthy to-read books on my list but this one is coming up and really looking forward to it."

Me too! I have a lot of chunksters to get to, and hope to start this one soon.

Nathalie | 325 comments I'm also reading along. And I'm glad the group is reading this because i've been putting it off like forever.

BAM the enigma Ok so I added this book to my ever expanding CR list. I’ll be started on it this week I think. I’m taking baby steps with this and reading an E version this time. Paper and audio haven’t cut for me

Marina (sonnenbarke) Just wanted to say I'm enjoying this book immensely. I don't have much time to read but it might be slightly less busy next week. I can't stop reading, except that I must (work, you know...)

message 48: by Bobbie (new) - added it

Bobbie | 98 comments I'm sorry to say this is not grabbing me, yet. I keep wanting to pick up another book instead of this one. Maybe it will get better.

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments This book didn't interest me at all initially, but I've been approaching such reads this year with the 'give it a week' principle so made a start. 2 days and 10 chapters down and I am really liking it so anticipate completing it. It's a fairly light read, really, no hidden symbolism or complexity - I like that i can just read it and not have to think too much whilst I do!

Kathleen | 4057 comments Tonia wrote: "This book didn't interest me at all initially, but I've been approaching such reads this year with the 'give it a week' principle so made a start. 2 days and 10 chapters down and I am really liking..."

I feel the same way about this one, Tonia. I love your give it a week principle, and I'm going to steal it! Better than a number of pages, in case it's just a mood. Exactly, about the lightness of this, so far anyway.

« previous 1