The Girl Before The Girl Before question

Americanised vocabulary i
Daveleavold Daveleavold Mar 30, 2018 11:04AM
This isn't a comment on 'The Girl Before' as such, but on a tendency that I find extremely irritating in regard to British novels published in the USA. Why do some American publishers change British words to American ones? It seems to imply that American readers are not intelligent enough to understand British English If I were such a reader, I'd feel insulted. Changing some words in this way also strikes an extremely false note: in 'The Girl Before,' for example, we have British characters using terms such as 'diaper' instead of 'nappy', and 'ass' in place of 'arse.' As far as I'm aware, this isn't done to American novels published in the UK, and quite rightly so: a writer from a particular country normally uses the idiom of that place: so why do some publishers substitute it with that of another? It's pointless, absurd, and , as I remarked earlier, insulting.

I tend to agree. I like hearing the voice of the author as it was originally written. If that means I have to go chasing down the meaning of an idiom or slang that I'm not accustomed to then all the better - I get to learn something. 99% of the time the context is all that is needed anyway. I feel it can make a work feel off kilter if they try to change it to feel more "American" but it's still set in the U.K. It gives a false feeling, if you know what I mean. Let me hear the characters as they truly speak.