Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Nonfiction Books on Reading?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your favorites? Mine are:
The Read-Aloud Handbook (but it has too many stats for me and the treasury at the end is outdated because it was written in the 80's).

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child--it looks so promising, but I haven't read past chapter 5 yet,

message 2: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6162 comments Mod
Hm. I broke down and bought 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up - not sure I'm going to try to read everything included, but of course I have read lots already... main thing is, until I have read them all, I don't have to admit I've grown up, right? ;)

message 3: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 25, 2014 04:30PM) (new)

Manybooks | 6881 comments Mod
Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Hm. I broke down and bought 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up - not sure I'm going to try to read everything included, but of course I have read lots already......"

This is a pretty decent resource. Unfortunately, some of the non English language books chosen are actually not available in translation (a few of the German language ones, like one of my favourites, Nesthäkchen, definitely do not exist in English translation and I've also noticed this with a few other international book choices). While on the one hand, I think it's great that a classic German children's book like Nesthäkchen is included, the title of the book (at least in my opinion) seems to at least leave the impression that the non English language children's books featured would be or at least should be available in English translation (and at the very least, those non English language books featured that are not available in English translation should have had that fact mentioned in the review).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never read that, but I once tried to write a book like it (the project kind of fell apart), so.... ;)

message 5: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Yeah, I'd like to find a better resource for international books.

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Yeah, I'd like to find a better resource for international books."

And it would be great if all the given translations (in whatever language) were listed as well

message 7: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Of course, we can hope that the info. about avl translations is subject to change - that the best books are getting translated and released in new countries as time passes.

So, what other nonfiction is available about children and reading? Let me see if I can find anything on my shelves...

message 8: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Ah, yes.

Boys and Girls Forever: Children's Classics from Cinderella to Harry Potter by Alison Lurie is interesting. It's a literary critique, so maybe not the most enjoyable read - if you're interested, read my review before buying the book.

Also by Lurie is The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales which includes some analysis & criticism but also some marvelous stories that I'd never read before. This I gave 5 stars.

I didn't particularly like Booktalk: Occasional Writing On Literature And Children, too scholarly. But there were some interesting ideas, as I wrote in my review.

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 26, 2014 12:02PM) (new)

I have a large amount of secondary books on children's literature on my to-read shelf. I have read and reviewed some and some I read years before I joined GR. I will go through my books and list those that I have reviewed and found worthwhile (I might also list the ones I rated without reviewing).

message 11: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 26, 2014 09:35AM) (new)

A great resource for those interested in fairy tales, is The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales. However, this is extensive and intensive and perhaps too academic and scholarly for some.

Even more academic and dry (but for me, a usable resource, although I would have wished for illustrated picture books of fairy tales to have also been listed) is A Guide to Folktales in the English Language: Based on the Aarne-Thompson Classification System

Not sure if this actually qualifies as a children's reference book, but The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings From Myth and Magic is interesting but with a huge caveat not to rely on the book for serious research (I found one glaring error and thus the book should be approached with caution especially since the text proper also does not use citations, does not make use of the bibliography).

message 12: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (last edited Jul 26, 2014 02:38PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2242 comments Mod
Raevyn wrote: "What are your favorites? Mine are:
The Read-Aloud Handbook (but it has too many stats for me and the treasury at the end is outdated because it was written in the 80's).

[book:The Boo..."

It looks like the latest edition of "The Read-Aloud Handbook" is 2013. So you might want to look for the updated edition.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you. :)

message 14: by Philip (new)

Philip Martin | 22 comments I'll mention The Purpose of Fantasy: A Reader’s Guide to Twelve Selected Books with Good Values and Spiritual Depth, which looks at fantasy books, mostly considered "for children," while discussing why children's books are worth reading and rereading at all ages.

message 15: by Manybooks (new)

Philip wrote: "I'll mention The Purpose of Fantasy: A Reader’s Guide to Twelve Selected Books with Good Values and Spiritual Depth, which looks at fantasy books, mostly considered "for children," ..."

Oh no, more books to add to my to-read list :-)

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever is similar to the Read Aloud Handbook and I honestly can't remember if it contains book lists, but I remember really loving it. It is by Mem Fox and I think she is a wonderful writer.

I really liked The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child. I haven't read it yet but she also wrote Reading in the Wild: The Book Whisperer's Keys to Cultivating Lifelong Reading Habits.

One that is geared directly for teachers but that I thought was fabulous and that had ideas I implemented into my classroom immediately was Steven Layne's book Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers.

Another good resource is How to Get Your Child to Love Reading. If I recall correctly, she lists books about many, many topics that kids like. For example, if your kid likes dinosaurs read these titles. If he likes ballet, read these.

Other books that are of most interest to teachers would be Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It and The Reading Zone.

message 17: by Aimee (new)

Aimee | 54 comments Cheryl,

I definitely want to check out Crossover Picture Books. I am a lifelong picture book fan. Thanks for mentioning it!

message 18: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

I'm currently reading the very thoughtful and also fascinating Off with Their Heads! Fairy Tales and the Culture of Childhood by the scholar Maria Tatar. I have preliminary notes up now but of course not the final review yet.

message 19: by Manybooks (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I'm currently reading the very thoughtful and also fascinating Off with Their Heads! Fairy Tales and the Culture of Childhood by the scholar Maria Tatar. I have prelimi..."

On my to read list as well