The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > April 2018 Group Read - Night Passage by Robert B. Parker

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill This is the group read thread for the 1st book in the Jesse Stone series by Robert B. Parker; Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1) by Robert B. Parker Night Passage. Skye will be your moderator. Enjoy!

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Looking forward, Bill.

message 3: by Anchita (new)

Anchita (autumn02) | 77 comments Good luck moderating, Skye!

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thank you so much, Anchita!
Will you be in this group?

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1423 comments This was a really fast read. I enjoyed it.

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Isn't it wonderful?!

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1423 comments It was great I remembered watching the Jesse Stone movies. so actually getting to read them as well is exciting for me.

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Sigh! I am and have been addicted to the Jesse Stone movies for years. Hallmark used to have a Jesse Stone marathon every now and again. I found the character, the setting and the story line unique and often marveled that Jesse Stone was the antithesis of Magnum PI. I knew there were books, as well, but I didn't read any until Thomas ( from this group) told me they were very good.

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1528 comments I read this book before I joined Goodreads. I didn't write a review, but give it 4 stars. I have read every book written by Parker and so has my wife. You will enjoy this book.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1423 comments I just ordered the Jesse Stone movies from Amazon and of course I intend to read the rest of the series.

message 11: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Skye wrote: "Sigh! I am and have been addicted to the Jesse Stone movies for years. Hallmark used to have a Jesse Stone marathon every now and again. I found the character, the setting and the story line unique..."

They still do run them - usually on Sunday afternoons/evenings.

message 12: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) I plan to join you in a couple weeks too.

message 13: by Anchita (new)

Anchita (autumn02) | 77 comments No, Skye. I won't be able to join this group.

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Quillracer wrote: "Skye wrote: "Sigh! I am and have been addicted to the Jesse Stone movies for years. Hallmark used to have a Jesse Stone marathon every now and again. I found the character, the setting and the stor..."

Not any longer, Quillracer; Hallmark has changed its format. You were also one who strongly suggested Robert Parker.

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments NancyJ wrote: "I plan to join you in a couple weeks too."

Great~

message 16: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Just started. I like the easy writing style and short chapters. I was surprised the character was so young. I think from the movies I was thinking 40's.

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments The character in the Parker's book is young; whereas, Tom Selleck is in his late sixties, early seventies; however, the short, terse dialogue remains the same; both the books and the movies are wonderful.

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I am here when anyone wants to comment.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris | 250 comments I also was a fan of the movies but have never read the books. It is quite an easy read (about halfway through) and I also was struck with the description of Jesse as much younger than Selleck's portrayal. Of course I don't remember any of the storylines & it may be I'm not remembering much of anything else either: what I recall, is that wife left him & he was still struggling with that reality, that he had a dog whom he seemed reluctant to bond with & that he lived in more isolation than in a row of houses/condos. Stone's inner character is the same, the perfect name Stone, as he speaks sparingly & reveals nothing in facial or body language.
I do like how Parker seems to peel away the veneer of a New England small town setting, piece by piece, letting a sinister feel seep onto the pages.

message 20: by Bill (last edited Apr 01, 2018 01:19PM) (new)

Bill Hey all - If you're comments contain spoilers please post them on the thread linked below. Try to keep this thread spoiler free so that those who are commenting as the read the book don't get info they don't want yet.. Thanks very much.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 21: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Chris wrote: "I also was a fan of the movies but have never read the books. It is quite an easy read (about halfway through) and I also was struck with the description of Jesse as much younger than Selleck's por..."

Chris, I adore what you just wrote and I want to respond. I think this is the spoiler-free thread. Please copy and paste this on the other thread...it's a wonderful assessment!

message 22: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Chris wrote: "I also was a fan of the movies but have never read the books. It is quite an easy read (about halfway through) and I also was struck with the description of Jesse as much younger than Selleck's por..."

I guess you didn't see my comment, so I will reply here, Chris. I love how Parker truly gives us an up close view of Paradise. I also adore the character of Jesse Stone--bold, heroic, yet always withholding his thoughts. He was not afraid, however, to let us know his struggles with the end of his marriage. ( I also found the dog in the movies truly a special touch, and I also adored how Jesse played classical music while he sate and drank).

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris | 250 comments I guess I didn't think there were any spoilers in my comments. I'm on pg 138 & feel things are just getting started for Jesse in his new job. Did not say anything about the actual plot. And I' m not sure I know how to cut & paste to another thread. I'll try next time I am on my computer.

message 24: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments That's OK, Chris; I answered your comment any way; you made some good points about Jesse Stone, Paradise and the dog ( as well as Jennifer).

message 25: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I am already over half done, a fast read and a good one.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 511 comments I'm in but won't start for a few days.

I read one other novel by Parker (Double Play) and liked it OK. I'm looking forward to trying one of his series books.

message 27: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments It is a fast read, isn't it?
Randy, he has written several series; he's very prolific. I want to try the Sunny Randall series.

message 28: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Of the 3 series Parker wrote, I liked his Sunny Randall one the least (But that's just my opinion). Part of that had to do with it being so short - 8 books - compared to his Spenser series - 39 books. Plus (again in my opinion), Randall was too much of a 'clone' of Spenser. There wasn't enough separation between the two to make her stand out.

message 29: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks, Qullracer!!!! That helps; I haven't read any of the Spenser series, but I have read several Jesse Stone books. I am astonished at how good they are.

message 30: by Rob (last edited Apr 02, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

Rob Avery (robavery) | 9 comments Well, I loved all of the books in Parker's "Spenser" series and have read a few of the Jesse Stone books but never read the first one. I'm only a few chapters into it but am already seeing some very specific details and characters that I am afraid won't pop up later in the story. I hate to see blatant violations of Chechov's Gun rule. But, again, I am only six chapters into the book so there is lots more to see here.

message 31: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I hope you enjoy it, Rob, and feel willing to jump in, no matter what you say.

message 32: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Skye wrote: "Thanks, Qullracer!!!! That helps; I haven't read any of the Spenser series, but I have read several Jesse Stone books. I am astonished at how good they are."

When I tried my hand at writing, Parker was the author I wanted my writing to resemble. I always loved his taut style and crisp dialog.

message 33: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Yes, it is taut and terse, but I have not read many of his books; one can almost compare it to Hemingway; however, Michael Connelly is one that I have read, and I also like his writing. Are you still writing?

message 34: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Skye wrote: "Yes, it is taut and terse, but I have not read many of his books; one can almost compare it to Hemingway; however, Michael Connelly is one that I have read, and I also like his writing. Are you sti..."

Connelly is right up there with Parker on my 'Great writers' list.

Yes, I'm still writing but not getting anywhere with it.

message 35: by Rob (new)

Rob Avery (robavery) | 9 comments Quillracer wrote: "Connelly is right up there with Parker on my 'Great writers' list. Yes, I'm still writing but not getting anywhere with it."

Parker and Connelly are two of the biggest influences in my writing. John D. MacDonald and Raymond Chandler are probably #3 and #4, respectively.

And keep writing, Quillracer! Just a few hundred words a day will get you there, eventually.

message 36: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments I'd put Chandler up there, too, Rob. MacDonald not so much.

I keep writing, have 6 finished novels so far, They're just not moving from my computer into a publisher's.

message 37: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments At least you have finished. I have incomplete works.

message 38: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Skye wrote: "At least you have finished. I have incomplete works."

Like Rob told me, keep writing. Even if it's only a few words a day, it's more than you had when you woke up.

I have another half-dozen half-done novels on top of the finished ones.

message 39: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I will have to start again....I lost the impetus about two years ago.

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ervin | 27 comments I always tell writers, "If you CAN quit, do." Quillracer, you share my problem in that I could not. I was working on manuscript #12, when, after 17 years of rejections, #8 sold. All are from print/royalty publishers. No. 14 will be out May 16. I was encouraged by conferences and short courses and critique groups by successful authors like Marilyn Harris who had 278 rejections on eight books before she sold her first. She had five on best seller lists when I met her. Also Carolyn Hart, mentor and friend, who endured her own hardships. It takes lots of raindrops to make a pond and a lot of keystrokes to make a book. As Hart told me once, in kindly terms, keep on slogging, you sissy. In this business, you have to pay your dues.

message 41: by Skye (last edited Apr 04, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Sharon , this is great advice. thank you. My problem is that most of my ideas have already been written by others, and many of my plots are semi memoirs that I find hard to turn into works of fiction.

message 42: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments What Skye said.

My thing is that while I write and would like to be published, I am not driven to get there. My philosophy has always been 'If it is to happen, it will; if not, it won't and either way will be for the best.'

I am also much closer to the end of my life than the beginning and the odds of that kind of success happening diminish with each passing year. And should I die without being published, I won't bemoan the fact on my deathbed. I have had so many good things happen in my life that one less won't break me.

message 43: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments What a lovely philosophy.

message 44: by Karri (new)

Karri Hartman (karri_hartman) | 1 comments just checked this book out of my library! loving it already and just got to page 20 😂😂

message 45: by Rob (new)

Rob Avery (robavery) | 9 comments Okay, I finished Night Passage last night somewhere around 2am. Yeah, I felt I should go to bed at 10:30 but I HAD TO FINISH THE BOOK!

Seriously, this is probably the best start to a series I have ever seen. Not only did I enjoy reading this book immensely, I learned a few things about writing in the process. So....totally a win-win.

Night Passage

message 46: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I loved it, too, Rob; we have two threads for this book; if you want to start discussing this, then use the thread for "spoilers.' I adore this book, and I loved the manner in which it was written, too.
I can't wait to hear what you learned about the writing process. Do you write, too?

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 511 comments I started this one and I'm about 30 pages in so far. I'm enjoying it so far but Parker's writing style seems so morose. This is the second book of his that I've read (Double Play was the first) and both books seem to have a depressing feel to them, like the main character is sort of floating through the story in a dark haze. I know Parker has written a lot of books - are they all written in this same style?

message 48: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Hi Randy, I adore the Jesse Stone stories; however, I have never read his Spenser or Sunny Randall books; perhaps you are right. Although Stone is a relatively 'morose' character; he is alo very heroic, honest and charming in a quiet manner; he has true bravado, and I suppose those traits appeal to me. The setting is very atmospheric, too, especially for a guy born in AZ, who spent most of his years in California. I am glad you are enjoying it, though.

message 49: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Randy wrote: "I started this one and I'm about 30 pages in so far. I'm enjoying it so far but Parker's writing style seems so morose. This is the second book of his that I've read (Double Play was ..."

It's funny, but I only noticed a morose kind of quality listening to the audible on the 3rd one. When I read the first one, it didn't. I do think it was well read, but when I read I go faster and I am listening more to my "voice" mentally.

message 50: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks for your comment, Bonnie; I adored the book.

« previous 1

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Double Play (other topics)
Night Passage (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert B. Parker (other topics)