Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry- 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments Sorry folks, I did not love this. I have never read this before, and 0 nostalgia or good memories with it. I get the allegory, the metaphors, and liked the themes of "question authority", "thinking about why you do things versus just doing what you are told", and whatnot. I loved the theme of "exploring to educate yourself". But I think I'm just too old to read this and love it now. Maybe re-reading with a child will make me love this more. I felt the theme was a little to driven home, and parts were repetitive. Yes I know it is a children's book-but reading as an adult I have a different perception. I think I just didn't relate or feel any connection with the narrator.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4986 comments You're not alone. I read this as a kid, and while I enjoyed it, I was not enthralled by it and would have given it a 3 (maybe 4) then. As an adult I have more fond memories of the movie, which I watched as a kid and did not appreciate then except for the cuteness of the little boy. The songs did stick to my brain even then, though I enjoy the music more now.

message 3: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments You aren't alone. I didn't love it either. I think I gave it 3 stars as well. The first time I read it, I gave it 1 star but I did read it in French and I don't think I understood it was well, lol.

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (themillsofabstraction) | 3 comments Well, I feel pretty differently from everyone who has commented so far... I am in love with this book. Perhaps it was the context I read it in, or my love of children's books, but I think it has some good themes and is worth the read.

message 5: by Cynda (last edited Apr 24, 2018 11:17AM) (new)

Cynda Megan wrote: "Well, I feel pretty differently from everyone who has commented so far... I am in love with this book. Perhaps it was the context I read it in, or my love of children's books, but I think it has so..."

I love it too Megan. The adults acting against themselves is perfectly and succinctly described. I appreciate how animals are described as being spiritual guides, something not often done right in folktales. The flower as inter-species and inter-kingdom love is strange yet beautiful. That Saint Exupery was a spiritual being having a physical experience becomes clear to me in reading this book. An Indigo Child.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (themillsofabstraction) | 3 comments Cynda wrote: "Megan wrote: "Well, I feel pretty differently from everyone who has commented so far... I am in love with this book. Perhaps it was the context I read it in, or my love of children's books, but I t..."

Yesss. I very much agree with all of this.

message 7: by Cynda (last edited Apr 24, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Cynda Joi wrote: "Sorry folks, I did not love this. I have never read this before, and 0 nostalgia or good memories with it. I get the allegory, the metaphors, and liked the themes of "question authority", "thinking..."

I have read a number of books since joining Goodreads where I have had to admit that I have had to admit I had simply agreement of understanding with my heart. So I understand. I am sorry I had waited too long. It makes me sad. And I understand why you say what you say Joi.