What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

More Friends and Neighbours
This topic is about More Friends and Neighbours
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's story from '50s. Boy goes to little circus, then no money left for big circus. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 126 comments My mother read this book at school when she was a child and would now like to find it again (don't ask me why, sounds really depressing to me, but there you are...)

She read it in primary school in the USA, so it would have been in the first half of the 50s. She thinks it was a short story in a children's reader. The protagonist is a boy who has saved up his allowance and, when a little circus comes to town, he spends his saved money on going to see it. Then, a big circus comes to town and, because he's already spent his pocket money on a ticket for the little circus, he can't afford to buy a ticket to the big circus and is really disappointed.

Anyone recognise this description?

message 2: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 74 comments This is “Which Circus?” by Marjorie Williams from More Friends and Neighbors - the 1946-47 Edition, Scott, Foresman and Company.

message 3: by Kris (last edited Mar 30, 2018 02:36PM) (new)

Kris | 33390 comments Mod
More Friends and Neighbours by William S. Gray - Sherri's suggestion
Here's one cover image: More Friends and Neighbours by William S. Gray . Description on Goodreads: "Early reader. Grade 1 to 2"

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 126 comments Oh, my gosh... seriously? You know it??? It was so long ago I didn't dare hope anyone would know it! This is awesome!

I just checked Amazon and there are a couple of different books listed there with very similar titles:

More Friends and Neighbors-Grade 2-2, 1946, by Gray, William S. & Arbuthnot, May Hill and Ils Ellen B. Segner & Keith Ward. Red cover, looks like the one you posted, Sherri.

More Friends and Neighbors, 1947. John O'Brien, William S. Gray, May Hill Arbuthnot. Same cover picture, but this one is blue.

I don't suppose you'd happen to know if these are the same book? Trying to be sure I get the right one.

message 5: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 74 comments My book that I found the story in is definitely the red one.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 126 comments This is amazing - I'm so pleased someone recognised it. I've ordered a copy, but it'll be a few weeks before we can check whether it's the right one or not.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 126 comments Have now had a phone call from my mother; the book arrived, it's the right one, and she's absolutely over the moon. Thank you so very, very much for this as you really helped make her day. Fantastic work!

message 8: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 74 comments So happy I could help! It’s really wonderful to be reunited with good memories from our childhoods!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

More Friends and Neighbours (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William S. Gray (other topics)