J.D. Robb discussion

Let Me Lie
This topic is about Let Me Lie
Monthly Book Discussion Library > Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh - April 2018 - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10396 comments Mod
Our April Book of the Month poll winner is Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh. This promises to be another twisted thriller! We invite everyone to join our discussion. Open discussion begins on the 15th.

Synopsis/Blurb:
The police say it was suicide.
Anna says it was murder.
They're both wrong.

One year ago, Caroline Johnson chose to end her life brutally: a shocking suicide planned to match that of her husband just months before. Their daughter, Anna, has struggled to come to terms with their loss ever since.

Now with a young baby of her own, Anna misses her mother more than ever and starts to question her parents’ deaths. But by digging up their past, she’ll put her future in danger. Sometimes it’s safer to let things lie…

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments I starting to think this is a twisted group. LOL

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13394 comments Mod
I’m in! Already had this on my April plan.

message 4: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sharon wrote: "I starting to think this is a twisted group. LOL"

LOL Sharon! Some of my best reads as of late are psychological thrillers and my to read list is heavily laden in the genre too. So many great authors in this genre.

I hope to work this one in in April. It sounds great.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Just ordered from library; on short list of holds, here's hoping.

message 6: by Sandra (new) - added it

Charlene wrote: "Just ordered from library; on short list of holds, here's hoping."

I was a little surprised to discover my library doesn't have the book. I recommended it, but no guarantee they'll get it or how long it might be if they ever do.

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 68 comments I already book - I will join the discussion!

message 8: by Sheri (new) - added it

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments my overdrive doesn't have this. I have recommended it but no telling how long I will have to wait. look forward to reading it.

message 9: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments According to Libby app I should have an ebook copy in 2 weeks. Looking forward to this one!!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Can't wait to read this one. Loved I See You!

I See You by Clare Mackintosh

message 11: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments requested from Library however don't know when it will be my turn

I started this today.

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 806 comments My copy is ready for me to pick up at the library. Yeah!!!

That’s great, Paula!

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 806 comments Thanks Jonetta. I usually get the books too late to participate.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I have it in my TBR pile; trying to catch up with group(s) readings.

message 17: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Still waiting for my library copy.... :(

Finished it last night. Can’t wait to discuss.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Loved it. Finished it a couple of days ago.

It was a mass of twists and shockers.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Loved it!! Very intense!

Are we the only two finished? Sandra, is it okay now for open discussion?

message 23: by Sandra (last edited Apr 15, 2018 12:03PM) (new) - added it

This is now a Spoiler Zone. Feel free to openly discuss Let Me Lie.

I haven't gotten a copy yet, but will join discussion later when I do.

Thanks, Sandra. I’ll get started.

This was one of the strangest stories I’ve read in some time.

Were you suspicious of Mark, Anna’s partner and Ella’s father, at any time during the story?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Oh,yes, all through the story. Him, the neighbor, the uncle... I think I suspected nearly EVERYBODY. But especially Mark. The whole therapist has a relationship with a woman in a fragile emotional position who has just inherited a boatload of money... that kind of flipped my suspicion-meter off.

The author had originally plotted him to be the bad guy but that changed as she developed the story. She acknowledged that some of that probably remained in her characterization of him.

But still, he had no business starting a relationship with his grief patient. And, I didn’t like how dishonest he was about his past relationship with her mother, no matter how brief.

Gave me the creeps. I was glad Anna moved on.

When we first got Caroline’s point of view, did you think she was dead, a ghost?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) At first, I wasn't sure. But then I figured she was still alive. I don't care how bad she wanted to leave her husband... she shouldn't have made her daughter suffer like that. It was cruel.

I was sure she was a ghost and was surprised the book was going there.

The author never said who was speaking whenever it was Caroline. I thought we were getting both Tom and Caroline, never once suspecting she was the abusive alcoholic.

Murray Mackenzie, the retired detective who was investigating Anna’s claim that her mother had been murdered, is married to a woman who suffers from a borderline personality disorder. Did they still have a pretty well-adjusted marriage? When compared to Anna’s relationship with Mark, which seemed the happiest?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Jonetta wrote: "Murray Mackenzie, the retired detective who was investigating Anna’s claim that her mother had been murdered, is married to a woman who suffers from a borderline personality disorder. Did they stil..."

I loved this character!! I wish she would spin him off with his own series. I felt sorry for him but when his wife was feeling well, they seemed to be really well matched. I loved how she could help him with his work.

I loved Murray, too. Yes, Sarah had her issues but they fit so well. He loved his life with her and her. My heart broke for both of them when she died.

Of all three couples, they were the most well adjusted.

When did you begin to think maybe Caroline wasn’t being truthful?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Charlene wrote: "I have it in my TBR pile; trying to catch up with group(s) readings."

Oops, it's still on waiting list at library. Meanwhile, I read same author's earlier book, I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh . Gave it 4 stars.

Will have to join this discussion much later, after I get the book, doggone.

message 36: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments Jonetta wrote: "Murray Mackenzie, the retired detective who was investigating Anna’s claim that her mother had been murdered, is married to a woman who suffers from a borderline personality disorder. Did they stil..."

I think Murray had the happier marriage. His wife may have been mental but as Murray says when there were good times it was the best. Plus they got married for Love. Anna and Mark as we find out would only be getting married because of the baby. Out of all the characters I felt the strongest connection with Murray and felt terrible that he winds up alone in the end,

message 37: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments one question that I may have missed the answer to. if Laura was black mailing Caroline so Caroline faked her own death. What would Laura get out of it now that Caoline was back in the picture? Did Laura think all along she would kill Anna, Caroline and the baby to inherit the money?

Susan wrote: "I think Murray had the happier marriage. His wife may have been mental but as Murray says when there were good times it was the best. Plus they got married for Love. Anna and Mark as we find out would only be getting married because of the baby. Out of all the characters I felt the strongest connection with Murray and felt terrible that he winds up alone in the end, ..."

Well said, Susan. I felt the same way and was so happy when he decided to quit working, got that RV and was ready to embrace life with his wife. My heart broke when she died.

Susan wrote: "one question that I may have missed the answer to. if Laura was black mailing Caroline so Caroline faked her own death. What would Laura get out of it now that Caoline was back in the picture? Did ..."

Laura was third in line for that inheritance. With Caroline already “dead,” all she had to do was now kill Anna and the baby. When Caroline resurfaced, she staged it to look like Caroline killed Anna and the baby. She’d be in the clear and have the money.

message 40: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments so if Anna married Mark then Laura would have to kill him off also. Seems like a lot of work and I don't think Laura thought it all out I think she would have gotten caught in the end if she did go thru with it all.
Once Caroline came back into the picture I figured out what was going on. However I did not see Laura as being the helper but thought as most that it was Mark. I am glad he is in the clear.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Laura wasn't so much a helper as an opportunist. We had a whole lot of scarred people here.

Susan wrote: "so if Anna married Mark then Laura would have to kill him off also. Seems like a lot of work and I don't think Laura thought it all out I think she would have gotten caught in the end if she did go..."

She didn’t originally plan to kill anyone. As Kirsten said, it was more of a chance of opportunity.

message 43: by Jenny (last edited Apr 30, 2018 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 68 comments I have finished reading Let Me Lie and It was the first book I had read of Clare Mackintosh, and I like it. However, I was not engaged in the plot or the characters. I am not sure that I would read another book by this author. For me, I only gave it 3 ★

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...