Christian Authors & Readers discussion

Going Deeper in Your Faith > Old Earth vs. Young Earth

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 165 comments My conviction is that there is only ONE reason Christians choose to believe in an OLD EARTH ... and that is EVOLUTION .

I am interested in what BIBLICAL reasons believers have to believe in an OLD EARTH .

Please list the Scriptures that lead you to believe the earth is OLD .

Many FREE resources on our ministry web site: www.Christ-like.net

message 2: by WILLIAM (new)

WILLIAM George Bryant PHD | 8 comments I think that we are missing the mark in believing that the earth is young or old, there is support that it is both. We should ask age relative to what? Let me explain the two opposing viewpoints. The Christian science group says 6000yrs. flat no if's ands or buts. Academics claims that its many orders of magnitude older than that.

I propose a 3rd argument that states that they are both correct, if we point to evidence that the earth is destroyed and regenerated every 8-12,000yrs. We must ask ourselves how many times has that occurred. I will end my argument by asking a question from a statement in the bible which no theologian has adequately explained. What is meant by the remain ate seed?

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 165 comments WILLIAMw wrote: "I think that we are missing the mark in believing that the earth is young or old, there is support that it is both. We should ask age relative to what? Let me explain the two opposing viewpoints. T..."

What Scriptures do you base this on?

message 4: by WILLIAM (new)

WILLIAM George Bryant PHD | 8 comments Robert wrote: "WILLIAMw wrote: "I think that we are missing the mark in believing that the earth is young or old, there is support that it is both. We should ask age relative to what? Let me explain the two oppos..."

As I said before the scriptures that speaks of the Ruminants. I don't have a copy before me but it's there in every version.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 165 comments WILLIAMw wrote: "As I said before the scriptures that speaks of the Ruminants. I don't have a copy before me but it's there in every version. .."

I have no idea what Scriptures you are referring to. Please take your time and find and quote them. Thanks.

message 6: by WILLIAM (new)

WILLIAM George Bryant PHD | 8 comments Robert wrote: "WILLIAMw wrote: "As I said before the scriptures that speaks of the Ruminants. I don't have a copy before me but it's there in every version. .."

I have no idea what Scriptures you are referring t..."

I will do so and get back with you.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 165 comments WILLIAMw wrote: "I will do so and get back with you. ..."

Thank you.

message 8: by WILLIAM (new)

WILLIAM George Bryant PHD | 8 comments Bible results for “the remnant.” Showing results 1-25.
Book of 1 Thessalonians
Book of 2 Thessalonians
Bible search results
Judges 5:13
“The remnant of the nobles came down; the people of the Lord came down to me against the mighty.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
2 Kings 19:4
It may be that the Lord your God will hear all the words of the field commander, whom his master, the king of Assyria, has sent to ridicule the living God, and that he will rebuke him for the words the Lord your God has heard. Therefore pray for the remnant that still survives.”
2 Kings 19:30
Once more a remnant of the kingdom of Judah will take root below and bear fruit above.
2 Kings 19:31
For out of Jerusalem will come a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors. “The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.
2 Kings 21:14
I will forsake the remnant of my inheritance and give them into the hands of enemies. They will be looted and plundered by all their enemies;
2 Chronicles 34:9
They went to Hilkiah the high priest and gave him the money that had been brought into the temple of God, which the Levites who were the gatekeepers had collected from the people of Manasseh, Ephraim and the entire remnant of Israel and from all the people of Judah and Benjamin and the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
2 Chronicles 34:21
“Go and inquire of the Lord for me and for the remnant in Israel and Judah about what is written in this book that has been found. Great is the Lord’s anger that is poured out on us because those who have gone before us have not kept the word of the Lord; they have not acted in accordance with all that is written in this book.”
2 Chronicles 36:20
He carried into exile to Babylon the remnant, who escaped from the sword, and they became servants to him and his successors until the kingdom of Persia came to power.
Ezra 9:8
“But now, for a brief moment, the Lord our God has been gracious in leaving us a remnant and giving us a firm place in his sanctuary, and so our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage.
Ezra 9:14
Shall we then break your commands again and intermarry with the peoples who commit such detestable practices? Would you not be angry enough with us to destroy us, leaving us no remnant or survivor?
Ezra 9:15
Lord, the God of Israel, you are righteous! We are left this day as a remnant. Here we are before you in our guilt, though because of it not one of us can stand in your presence.”
Nehemiah 1:2
Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that had survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem.
Isaiah 10:20
[ The Remnant of Israel ] In that day the remnant of Israel, the survivors of Jacob, will no longer rely on him who struck them down but will truly rely on the Lord, the Holy One of Israel.
Isaiah 10:21
A remnant will return, a remnant of Jacob will return to the Mighty God.
Isaiah 10:22
Though your people be like the sand by the sea, Israel, only a remnant will return. Destruction has been decreed, overwhelming and righteous.
Isaiah 11:11
In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush, from Elam, from Babylonia, from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean.
Isaiah 11:16
There will be a highway for the remnant of his people that is left from Assyria, as there was for Israel when they came up from Egypt.
Isaiah 17:3
The fortified city will disappear from Ephraim, and royal power from Damascus; the remnant of Aram will be like the glory of the Israelites,” declares the Lord Almighty.
Isaiah 28:5
In that day the Lord Almighty will be a glorious crown, a beautiful wreath for the remnant of his people.
Isaiah 37:4
It may be that the Lord your God will hear the words of the field commander, whom his master, the king of Assyria, has sent to ridicule the living God, and that he will rebuke him for the words the Lord your God has heard. Therefore pray for the remnant that still survives.”
Isaiah 37:31
Once more a remnant of the kingdom of Judah will take root below and bear fruit above.
Isaiah 37:32
For out of Jerusalem will come a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.
Isaiah 46:3
“Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob, all the remnant of the people of Israel, you whom I have upheld since your birth, and have carried since you were born.
Jeremiah 6:9
This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Let them glean the remnant of Israel as thoroughly as a vine; pass your hand over the branches again, like one gathering grapes.”
Jeremiah 11:23
Not even a remnant will be left to them, because I will bring disaster on the people of Anathoth in the year of their punishment.”
New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Filter by:
All (64)
Old Testament (61)
Judges (1)
2 Kings (4)
2 Chronicles (3)
Ezra (3)
Nehemiah (1)
Isaiah (11)
Jeremiah (17)
Ezekiel (2)
Amos (2)
Micah (5)
Zephaniah (5)
Haggai (3)
Zechariah (3)
Malachi (1)
New Testament (3)
Romans (3)

Jeremiah 23:3-Zephaniah 1:4
Jump to Book
From the Bible gateway NIV

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 165 comments WILLIAMw wrote: "Bible results for “the remnant.” Showing results 1-25..."

OK William. Thank you. But what does the remnant have to do with an old earth????

message 10: by WILLIAM (new)

WILLIAM George Bryant PHD | 8 comments Robert wrote: "WILLIAMw wrote: "Bible results for “the remnant.” Showing results 1-25..."

OK William. Thank you. But what does the remnant have to do with an old earth????"

The Remnant are those left behind after a new earth is created or recycled. every 8-12000yrs.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 165 comments WILLIAMw wrote: "The Remnant are those left behind after a new earth is created or recycled. every 8-12000yrs. ..."

Where do you get this recycling in the Bible?

message 12: by WILLIAM (new)

WILLIAM George Bryant PHD | 8 comments Robert wrote: "WILLIAMw wrote: "The Remnant are those left behind after a new earth is created or recycled. every 8-12000yrs. ..."

Where do you get this recycling in the Bible?"
by reading intent and interpretation. remember that there was no such word as recycling during historical times. one thing that points to this is what happened at Sodom and Gomorrah.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 165 comments WILLIAMw wrote: "Where do you get this recycling in the Bible?"by reading intent a..."

Sorry, I need direct Bible quotes... got any?

message 14: by WILLIAM (new)

WILLIAM George Bryant PHD | 8 comments Robert wrote: "WILLIAMw wrote: "Where do you get this recycling in the Bible?"by reading intent a..."

Sorry, I need direct Bible quotes... got any?"

Yes, there is the letter of the law and there is the spirit of the law. The spirit is how we judge and interpret meaning and intent.