The Challenge Factory discussion

The Mane Event (Pride, #1)
This topic is about The Mane Event
2018 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Krissy, Elena & Beth - The Mane Event

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5585 comments Mod
Krissy, Elena & Beth - The Mane Event

Elena | 1382 comments Im here :)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments Let's start this one next!

Elena | 1382 comments Tomorrow?

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments Tomorrow is perfect. I wonder where Beth is

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments 41 minutes in and I already hate Mace's sister

message 7: by Elena (last edited Apr 17, 2018 06:02PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elena | 1382 comments Im 45minutes in - what the fuck is wrong with her???? what a bitttch!!

Elena | 1382 comments wha? this is 2 stories in one book ?! Christmas Pride and Shaw's Tail ... i didn't realize that , i just accidentally found out ...

Elena | 1382 comments Why are all the women in this book such bitches ?!?!? 370minutes in (almost done first story) .... Her sisters are awful, his sisters even worse... what the hell?!? And why are the families having Xmas together anyways??????? RIDICULOUS

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments I'm 3.5 hours in. They just had sex and then she kind of accused him of the murder. So far it's okay. I like that it feels a little lighter thanks to the humor. Even though I haven't laughed out loud yet I've been amused.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments Sigh. I hate when the MCs finally have sex and then the story turns into one long sex scene with tiny little plot breaks. It gets monotonous and I lose interest fast. I like hot sex as much as the next girl but I much prefer a handful of steamy, emotional scenes than constant sex.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments I did find the scene where his sister called while he was tied up amusing

Elena | 1382 comments just finished the first story .
Ok it was amusing enough, but - as you said - all of a sudden, the plot turned into only sex. And the sex scenes weren't good/long/emotional/hot sex scenes... to me they were short and not detailed enough for me to get into , so I got pretty bored with them!
The ending had some action but not enough, in my opinion !

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments Starting book 2!

Elena | 1382 comments Ok what’s with women constantly fighting?????

Elena | 1382 comments One thing that is weird to me is that there is no “world-building”! We r just thrown in and all these shapeshifters are just there and that’s that....

Elena | 1382 comments done book 2....

meh...it was ok , but really - not much to the story.
what did u think?

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments I'm not that far into book 2 yet. But the characters and flow feel exactly like book 1. If they weren't using names I wouldn't even know they were different people. Same exact attitudes. Same exact sense of humor. Same exact approach to the attraction. Etc etc.

And why such prejudice against other shifters? Why such hate towards interspecies couples? Feels very outdated and ridiculous. There is no explanation about rivalries or bad history. It's just basically cat vs dog. Very juvenile.

Elena | 1382 comments yes - that's exactly what I thought when I said no backstory or worldbuilding .... I don't understand why they hate each other , why they don't mix , etc. ... I mean, if it just boils down to cat vs dog , that's pretty immature :)

And yes - the couples sound exactly the same . The chicks are both in it only for the sex, and the guy is the one who is chasing her to "mate with her" ....

Elena | 1382 comments same back-and-forth dialogues , same smartass remarks ... stuff that was interesting/witty/funny in the first story just sounds repetitive and reused in the second!

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments Both women even used the term of endearment "hoss"

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3135 comments Finished. Started out okay but the longer it went on the less I enjoyed it. Why was she so freaked out about commitment? She talked about being done with random hook ups and needed to "grow up" so you would think that means she would look for a serious relationship. So her fear of commitment made no sense.

I don't think I liked this enough to continue the series. Especially since book 2 was book 1 with just different MC names. That tells me every other book in the series would be the exact same.

Elena | 1382 comments yup . Agreed.
I didn't get the fear of commitment... I didn't LIKE the fact that she tells him in the end "i need to be able to just pick up and leave for a while" > ummm excuse me?! what kind of person are you if you are planning on deserting your family for a while and not tell them where you are and why you are going ?!

Also - he has cubs with some lioness, right? And this is mentioned only in passing?! I found it weird how it was just thrown in just randomly, that he has "kids" ....And sometimes they are called kids, sometimes cubs... What the hell do these things look like?! Are they children or animals?! I need more details when I'm reading!!!

And apparently lions don't mate forever, but wolves do? This is also something that we would only guess at from the book, it was never specifically stated...