J.D. Robb discussion

Archive -2017/18 Series GR > Fractured by Karin Slaughter (Will Trent #2) - April 2018 (SPOILER ZONE)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 01, 2018 08:19AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13386 comments Mod
With its gracious homes and tree-lined streets, Ansley Park is one of Atlanta's most desirable neighborhoods. But in one gleaming mansion, in a teenager's lavish bedroom, a girl has been savagely murdered. And in the hallway, her horrified mother stands amid shattered glass, having killed her daughter's attacker with her bare hands.

Detective Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is here only to do a political favor; the murder site belongs to the Atlanta police. But Trent soon sees something that the cops are missing, something in the trail of blood, in a matrix of forensic evidence, and in the eyes of the shell-shocked mother. Within minutes, Trent is taking over the case -- and adding another one to it. He is sure that another teenage girl is missing, and that a killer is on the loose.

Armed with only fleeting clues, teamed with a female cop who has her own personal reasons for hating him, Trent has enemies all around him -- and a gnawing feeling that this case, which started in the best of homes, is cutting quick and deep through the ruins of perfect lives broken wide-open: where human demons emerge with a vengeance.

Setting
Atlanta, Georgia

Table of Contents
Prologue
Day One - Chapters 1-4
Day Two - Chapters 5-11
Day Three - Chapters 12-22
Epilogue

Character List
(view spoiler)

This will be a spoiler zone on April 8

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 429 comments I'm in! Looking forward to my re-read

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Can't wait for the discussion. I think this is my favorite so far from the Grant County/Will Trent series.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

This was SO good!

message 5: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Looking forward to my reread and the group discussion!

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Really want to see what happens next with Will.

message 7: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Just finished this one last night

message 8: by Belles (new)

Belles | 156 comments Will Trent #6 is $2.99 on the Kindle today.
Criminal (Will Trent, #6) by Karin Slaughter

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks, Belles! I’ll post this elsewhere so more can see it.

message 10: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Great sale price! One of the top books of the series IMO.

Finished reread. Second time through I paid more attention to the nuances of Will and Faith's relationship - can't wait to chat about these two.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

This is now a spoiler zone! Feel free to discuss the book openly.

message 12: by Sharon (last edited Apr 08, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments When I finished Tryptich I thought Angie is going to be damaged but not as bad a Lena. After finishing Fractured, I'm still hopeful but I sense she is going to hurt Trent more emotionally. I hope I'm wrong but sharing an STD isn't a good sign.

I have a few more concerns/questions but I have to think about these characters a little more.

message 13: by Sharon (last edited Apr 08, 2018 05:48PM) (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments I have to say that Amanda makes me crazy. I'm very interested to see where Slaughter takes her in the future. As an older woman who had to deal with a disability and bosses who treated me less than other employees I want to stab her at various points throughout these first two books.

Amanda initially comes across as a woman who can look past Will's disability and see his assets and skills. Then she continually stabs him where it hurts. There are a lot of people who do that in real life. Instead of building a person's confidence, it tears down and amplifies the inner voice that tells the person s/he isn't "normal" and lacks true value and the ability to do the job.

For me, Amanda makes me cringe more than Angie. They both hurt Will but I think Will knows Angie will always treat him less than what he needs. He puts up with it because Angie knows him and his insecurities.

Amanda hurts him in a way that beats him down in the one area where he excels. It is like she won't give him recognition even though he does his job better than most of the people who work for her. Then she slams the point home by making him share his office with Faith even though it is so small. It is like saying, Will is too worthless to deserve better or what the "normal" people get.

message 14: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Sharon wrote: "I have to say that Amanda makes me crazy. I'm very interested to see where Slaughter takes her in the future. As an older woman who had to deal with a disability and bosses who treated me less than..."

Interesting observations, Sharon. While she's very tough on Will, I feel like she has a soft spot for him, and - in her own crazy way - is both a boss and a motherly figure to him. I think she may be a ball-buster to everyone she works with, but the reader doesn't see those interactions.

message 15: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 08, 2018 05:38PM) (new)

At this stage, I was utterly confused by Amanda and couldn’t believe she was deliberately being cruel for the sake of cruelty. I just knew there was more I didn’t know.

Angie is Will’s crack addiction and she knows it. I’m just waiting for him to go through withdrawal. Aaargh!

I really liked the dynamics between Faith and Will. This has all the makings of a fine partnership.

I found the case fascinating, too. The police procedurals were excellent.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10393 comments Mod
I just can't separate what I know is coming from what's only happened at this point. I wish I could "unknow" things, but I can't so I'll say nothing to avoid any slip ups.

I can say I was also very confused by Amanda at this point and didn't fully understand her. And that I absolutely hate the way Angie treats Will.

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I just can't separate what I know is coming from what's only happened at this point. I wish I could "unknow" things, but I can't so I'll say nothing to avoid any slip ups.

I can say I was also ve..."

I'm not crazy about Angie either. I do think Will uses her to punish himself because he doesn't believe he deserves happiness. I see this a lot especially in people of my generation. They take abuse because it is all they know. Amanda though is a boss and should build Will up a little using reviews or even a better office. Let him know that she appreciates him. His career is his lifeline so to speak and without that reinforcement it will allow Angie to sink her daggers into him more because he feels so worthless. Amanda knows Angie isn't a good match for Will. Very sad.

message 18: by Belles (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:36AM) (new)

Belles | 156 comments First, this was a great story. Had me on the edge of my seat, especially toward the end.

Poor Will. All these women in his life.... I'll start with Angie even though she was barely mentioned. I hope Will dumps her at some point in the series. She's always going to use him and he's going to let her because his dyslexia makes him feel inferior. He's such a cool guy who's talented and respected for how he sees a crime scene. I hope he comes to value himself more.

Amanda at this point is a bit one dimensional, but I'm sure Slaughter will fill her in more as the series progresses. Though I say one dimensional, she's not flat. There's a lot of color waiting to be added to her character (background to fill in, motivations to be revealed, etc.).

I love Will and Faith as a team. It was a joy to see them evolve into a partnership over the course of the book. I'm looking forward to them solving more crimes together. At least I hope that's what happens.

I'm really looking forward to the next book. You guys have said that it's where the Grant County series crosses over into this one. I'm assuming that means Sara and possibly Lena (not sure I can handle both Angie & Lena at once). It's interesting that Slaughter picked a male protagonist then surrounds him primarily with women characters. Interesting dynamics there. I could be off, though. Maybe it was just this book.

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Belles wrote: "It's interesting that Slaughter picked a male protagonist then surrounds him primarily with women characters. Interesting dynamics there. I could be off, though. Maybe it was just this book.

Amanda at this point is a bit one dimensional, but I'm sure Slaughter will fill her in more as the series progresses. Though I say one dimensional, she's not flat. There's a lot of color waiting to be added to her character (background to fill in, motivations to be revealed, etc.). ...."

That’s a keen observation, Belles. I hadn’t considered the implications of Will being surrounded and influenced, good or bad, by so many women. Something to ponder.

You’ve nailed Amanda. I want to know more about her, what drives her and her relationship with Will.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 589 comments I'm half way through. For me, these books are always about the characters, their interactions and exploring their personalities and the crimes and forensics while I like trying to solve them before its obvious are the secondary components of what makes them so readable.

I love Will he's such an interesting character and even though he's the one with the so called "disability" it's the women around him who have got all sorts of issues. I don't see Angie and Will making it long term, I'd love Will to grow and have the confidence to find someone who really sees him for the great person he is.

As for the case, I've got my suspicions... we will see how right I am as I move into the second half of the book.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 589 comments This might be out of left field... but the relationship between Will and Angie reminded me of the movie Forrest Gump - Forrest and Jenny.

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "This might be out of left field... but the relationship between Will and Angie reminded me of the movie Forrest Gump - Forrest and Jenny."

I agree that Forrest loves Jenny and she always leaves him until she needs something. I believe Jenny leaves because she believes she isn't good enough for Forrest. Jenny loves Forrest too but more as a friend and someone she can trust.

I think Angie leaves because she wants to use Will as a fall back when she needs a rest. I'm not sure how Angie is going to turn out but have a feeling she is a user. I don't think she loves him and I'm not sure she is really his friend, although I hope she is.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10393 comments Mod
Really great observations everyone! I love seeing this through "fresh eyes". It somehow makes it new to me again - up to a point.

message 24: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Really great observations everyone! I love seeing this through "fresh eyes". It somehow makes it new to me again - up to a point."
Agree, Sandra! Can't wait to see where the conversation goes after the next book. Really looking forward to my reread!

One of the things I enjoyed in the development of Will and Faith's relationship was how Faith, begrudgingly, came to not only like Will (or at least respect him) but how she's beginning to have a motherly protectiveness for him. Will could use someone at his back!

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments I saw the next book in the series at the library and started reading ahead. While reading it made me think of Karin Slaughter and both of her series that we read so far. (Not a spoiler but related to her research)

I wonder if she has a PD friend. Her crime scenes, including her victims' descriptions are so realistic it seems like she has access to actual crime photos. Also, if she does have access, how she can look at them. My guess is that her crimes are a melding of more than one crime. If they aren't, I'm grateful I don't live in Georgia.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

Some time ago, I either read something or heard it through a video trailer that she definitely has a consultant from the police department and believe he was in Atlanta.

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Jonetta wrote: "Some time ago, I either read something or heard it through a video trailer that she definitely has a consultant from the police department and believe he was in Atlanta."

Thanks Jonetta. A lot of mystery writers, will talk about a crime but the scenes don't have as much detail as Slaughter's books. Her scenes are so gruesome and realistic, it feels like she has a consultant. Another writer with gruesome and realistic scenes is Kathy Reichs but she falls back on her personal experience.

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

Karen Rose and Val McDermid are also pretty graphic.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 589 comments Well, I was wrong about the nature and details of the crime (I had a feeling that the father was involved somehow) but it in no way detracted from what was another involving read. Will and Faith are going to be a great team and even though I think Angie will not end up with Will (he deserves so much better!) I'm really hoping Faith and Will don't turn romantic either. Really good and supportive friends and colleagues would work a lot better I'm thinking.. we will see.

Looking forward to the next book and the return of Sara Linton. I'm really curious to see how her character has developed after all the heartbreak at the end of Grant County.

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Jonetta wrote: "Karen Rose and Val McDermid are also pretty graphic."

I love Karen Rose. She was at a signing I attended last year.

I haven't read Val McDermid yet. I'll check it out.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

HIGHLY recommend her Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series, especially on audio.
The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1) by Val McDermid

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Jonetta wrote: "HIGHLY recommend her Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series, especially on audio.
The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1) by Val McDermid"

Purchased. I had an audio credit I was trying to figure out how to use. Thanks

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

Let me know how it works out!

message 34: by Lauren (last edited Apr 20, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 943 comments Finished and enjoyed it immensely.

The characters in this series are so different from the Grant County ones in that they are all so incredibly likable!

Yes, Will is damaged but he is one of those people that never allows adversity to defeat them, which is always amazing. Rather than pity him for his dyslexia, his coping mechanisms only highlight his intelligence and resilience, and his lack of social skills and graces make him all the more endearing.

Faith is also very engaging. I really liked the fact that she was able to see past her personal animosity toward Will and focus on what needed to be done to solve the case. Like Belles and Jo Ann, I like how she came to respect his abilities as an investigator and appreciate him as a person.

Amanda is one tough cookie, but I truly believe she has Will's best interests at heart. I'm looking forward to finding out more about her history with Will because there is definitely more than meets the eye. I'm really not sure how someone with Will's learning disabilities could possibly have been accepted into the GBI.

Angie - I don't dislike her as much as Lena because she has a self awareness that Lena is lacking. Angie realizes that she is not good for Will and tries to leave him alone. Perhaps once she realizes that he no longer needs her, she will finally be able to do so completely.

The case was gripping and had me on the edge of my seat for hours. It is impossible not to feel sad for Emma, Adam and Abigail (who will have to live with the fact that she killed an innocent boy for the rest of her life, not that she really had much choice at the time).

message 35: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Lauren wrote: "Finished and enjoyed it immensely.

The characters in this series are so different from the Grant County ones in that they are all so incredibly likable!

Yes, Will is damaged but he is one of tho..."

Agree with your observations, Lauren! Wish there was a "like" button (similar to facebook) for comments.

message 36: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 20, 2018 04:48PM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "The characters in this series are so different from the Grant County ones in that they are all so incredibly likable!..."

I hadn’t thought about that but upon reflection, it’s true for me, too.

Lauren wrote: "Rather than pity him for his dyslexia, his coping mechanisms only highlight his intelligence and resilience, and his lack of social skills and graces make him all the more endearing. ..."

You’ve summed Will up so nicely. There’s something noble about him.

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 943 comments Jo Ann wrote: "Agree with your observations, Lauren! Wish there was a "like" button (similar to facebook) for comments. "

Yes, a like button would be helpful for comments. Alas, GR are unlikely to implement it :)

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 943 comments Jonetta wrote: "You’ve summed Will up so nicely. There’s something noble about him. ."

Yes, there is.

I love how he takes care of little Betty!

message 39: by Vera (new)

Vera M. | 446 comments Lauren wrote: "Finished and enjoyed it immensely.

Yes, Will is damaged but he is one of tho..."

I agree that the feel is different from GC. While characters are still flawed, I feel like everything is more hopeful in this series. Its possible characters are likable because we can see the better qualities or feel like they are capable of better than they are at the moment. GC always had this feel of wanting to slap people and did no one else see the flaws?!

Loving Will's character there is so much about him that just pulls me into the character. Even little things like Lauren said about how he takes care of that little Betty.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 589 comments I'm really looking forward to reading the next book where Sara Linton makes a reappearance and what part she plays in the series. Just as a background co-worker or something more.

message 41: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Reading your comments and observations puts me back in Will Trent territory. I'll keep up from time to time, since I think I've read all the books that are published. I'm still trying to figure Amanda out.... one tough cookie, for sure!

message 42: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Charlene wrote: "Reading your comments and observations puts me back in Will Trent territory. I'll keep up from time to time, since I think I've read all the books that are published. I'm still trying to figure Ama..."

Amanda is a mystery to me too. One minute I think she has a good heart and then she is a total bitch and I want to slap her.

message 43: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'm really looking forward to reading the next book where Sara Linton makes a reappearance and what part she plays in the series. Just as a background co-worker or something more."

Yea. I'm thinking Will and Sara will have a relationship like Eve and Morris over dead bodies. Hopefully she will recognize that he is hiding a disability and she will find a way to help him deal better.

message 44: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 429 comments Sharon, I totally agree with you about Amanda