You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > April toppler - Birthday takeover!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 30, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments April 24-Hour Birthday Toppler: The April toppler will be held on April 7th. It will run from noon Saturday, April 7th, to noon Sunday, April 8th, EDT.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Hi everyone! My birthday is in April and April was the first month that I moderated a toppler, so it is my toppler birthday as well. As such, I am having a toppler birthday takeover!! Hope you enjoy enjoy my little toppler party!

Tasks:
☞Favorite color: blue
Read a book with a mostly blue cover. (Try for 75%. If it screams blue, you're all set. If you're not sure, check it on TinEye Labs)

☞Job: mental health counselor for children
Read a psychological thriller or a book that involves child abuse/neglect.

☞Family: I have 2 daughters
Read a book about sisters (can be two or more).

☞States I have lived in: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Virginia, California
Read a book set in one of these states.

☞Pets: I have 2 dogs, a cat, and a fish
Read a book with one of these on the cover or as a main character.

☞Lucky number: 3
Read the 3rd book in a series. (Well, really it’s 13, but I like any number that ends in a 3, lol, so the 13th or 23rd book in a series will count too.)

☞Activities I have enjoyed: ice skating, gymnastics, volleyball, softball, rock climbing, yoga, swimming, white water rafting, kayaking, paddle boarding, zip lining, obstacle course, skydiving.
Read a book where the MC is involved in one of these activities. (It can be a one time thing.)

☞I am currently working on a puzzle. It has 500 pieces.
If you can do it in 24-hours, read a book that is 500+ pages.

☞I am planning to start a garden this summer. Well, ok, I’m going to start with 2 plants.
Read a book where the MC is a gardener, has a garden, or grows some of their own food.

☞I love to relax on the beach.
Read a book set on a beach or island.

A few rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. The book must be at least 175 pages based on the version you are reading.
3. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For audiobooks use the page count on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
4. Graphic novels do not count.

Toppler books can count toward the group theme read and/or the monthly or yearly challenge, if they qualify.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Reserved

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9282 comments Awesome toppler, Kristie! I was tempted to say Happy Birthday but I checked and it is only at the end of the month. :)

Need to gopher for this one. Nothing comes to mind right now.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Haha, you're right, Sandra, it is. No, happy birthdays necessary. Just thought it would be fun to have a toppler party. :)

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9282 comments Indeed. The pic of the balloons already put me in the mood.

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16849 comments Toppler party party! We party party party!

Love gophering on a long weekend :D

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9282 comments That cake is saying my name..

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Sandra wrote: "That cake is saying my name.."

Me too, Sandra!

Saar The Book owl | 1703 comments Yummie cake! I have some books in mind.

message 11: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9584 comments I bought this book today The Last Family in England by Matt Haig ! I must have had a premonition 😆

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Margo wrote: "I bought this book today The Last Family in England by Matt Haig! I must have had a premonition 😆"

You must have, Margo!

message 13: by Almeta (last edited Apr 01, 2018 04:11AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10085 comments Here are my most likely suspects:

The Lincoln Lawyer California
The Messenger of Athens Blue
Perish #3
The Everything Box Blue

The Messenger of Athens (The Greek Detective #1) by Anne Zouroudi The Everything Box (Another Coop Heist #1) by Richard Kadrey

Party Hardy!☺

message 14: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments I found my book. Three to Get Lei'd. Its 3rd in a series I'm trying to kill off. It's also set on the island of Kauai. Plus I have it on my Zodiac Challenge and at 248 pages its doable for a 24 hour toppler. Can't wait to get this party started!

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47880 comments What a great idea for a toppler! I'm looking forward to it.

message 16: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments With this toppler I can catch up on a series before the forth volume at the end of the month! Great start already!

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1854 comments Fun!

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Happy early birthday, Kristie!!

I still haven’t recovered from the last Toppler, but this one will certainly be more relaxing.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 247 comments April is also my birthday month, so I like this special challenge.

My blue book will be:

Interference by Amélie Antoine

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Debra wrote: "I still haven’t recovered from the last Toppler, but this one will certainly be more relaxing."

haha..I may have to make the next team toppler a bit more relaxing. lol

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Apr 01, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Jackie wrote: "April is also my birthday month, so I like this special challenge."

Happy April birthday to you, Jackie! When in April is your birthday?

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 247 comments the 25th.

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Jackie wrote: "the 25th."

Oh, close. Mine is the 23rd. :)

message 24: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Kristie wrote: "Debra wrote: "I still haven’t recovered from the last Toppler, but this one will certainly be more relaxing."

haha..I may have to make the next team toppler a bit more relaxing. lol"

For sure! lol

Saar The Book owl | 1703 comments I choose for an easy read: A Street Cat Named Bob How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets by James Bowen (the Dutch version)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Are you all almost ready to start?!

I'm looking forward to this one. I have my book all ready to go. I'll be reading my monthly challenge book first, Rain Reign. I looked it up on tineye and it is 99% blue! Even the parts I thought were black or grey are apparently shades of blue, go figure.

Anyway, I'm starting there and then we'll see how much time I have left to work on my next book. I plan to read Emma in the Night for the sisters task, if I have extra time, but I'm not sure I can finish two books in one day. I haven't been reading too much lately.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9282 comments I have downloaded the audiobook version of Flush which has a fish in the cover and also according to tineye is 75.8% blue. It is 5:22 hours, so I expect to be able to finish it even it is a busy Saturday for us.

Flush by Carl Hiaasen

message 28: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1639 comments I choose The Box Garden for the sisters task.

message 29: by Eliestal (last edited Apr 06, 2018 04:54PM) (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Like I said, catching up on a series with this third volume: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers, Vol. 3

message 30: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments Lori Z wrote: "I found my book. Three to Get Lei'd. Its 3rd in a series I'm trying to kill off. It's also set on the island of Kauai. Plus I have it on my Zodiac Challenge and at 248 pages its doa..."

I'm going to join Lori Z in reading this one.

message 31: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16849 comments Clément wrote: "Like I said, catching up on a series with this third volume: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers, Vol. 3"

Be careful with that one, Clément.
I just saw Kristie's rule that Graphic Novels don't count, which is lucky as I was about to pick up one as well.

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16849 comments I probably will go with number 3 in the Mercy Thompson series, Iron Kissed, which will fit for my ZZ challenge as well under the truck category.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Good catch on the graphic novel, Rus. Thanks.

Mercy is a great choice for the toppler. Check with Janice for the zodiac though. I’m not sure you can tell if it’s a truck or a car from the cover.

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16849 comments Kristie wrote: "Good catch on the graphic novel, Rus. Thanks.

Mercy is a great choice for the toppler. Check with Janice for the zodiac though. I’m not sure you can tell if it’s a truck or a car from the cover."

But she drives a truck. Apparently.

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47880 comments If she drives a truck, you're safe. The cover is that of a car. You'd never find a truck with the hood (or bonnet) that low to the ground.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Apr 06, 2018 08:03PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47880 comments I'm going to read The Sound of Rain.
The Sound of Rain (Nicole Foster Thriller #1) by Gregg Olsen

It's a 10 hour audiobook. If I finish it, I'll give Inspector Paws and the Alaskan Ice Cap a go. It could go work for either a blue cover, or cat on the cover. The cat, Inspector Paws, is the main character.
Inspector Paws and the Alaskan Ice Cap by Rosemary Budd

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16849 comments Janice wrote: "If she drives a truck, you're safe. The cover is that of a car. You'd never find a truck with the hood (or bonnet) that low to the ground."

Worst comes to worst, it fits in magic.

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47880 comments You're covered then, Rusalka.

message 39: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10085 comments Rusalka wrote: "...But she drives a truck. Apparently. ..."

Mercedes spends a good deal of time riding around in her mentor, Zee's truck. I believe he plays a central role in the plot of this installment.

message 40: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Casceil wrote: "Lori Z wrote: "I found my book. Three to Get Lei'd. Its 3rd in a series I'm trying to kill off. It's also set on the island of Kauai. Plus I have it on my Zodiac Challenge and at 24..."

Cool, Casceil! I hope we both enjoy it!

message 41: by Eliestal (last edited Apr 07, 2018 03:28AM) (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Rusalka wrote: "Clément wrote: "Like I said, catching up on a series with this third volume: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers, Vol. 3"

Be careful with that one, Clément.
I just saw Kristie's rule..."

It is OK this is not a graphic novel it is a full book. The page count is a little off but it fits all the requirement.
The only pictures in the book are portraits on chapter changes to know the focus of the chapter (5 chapters).

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments That sounds like it will work, Clément.

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13174 comments Only 3 hours to go, everyone!!

message 44: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments That is a relief since I don't have another book small enough for me to finish that fits the tasks :)

I am ready to start as soon as the time is right!

message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Whew, almost forgot this was today! Thinking I will go with my shortest option, A Caribbean Mystery by Agatha Christie which as you may guess, takes place on an island.

message 46: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I’m going to read Wonder. I’ve got the blue hardcover.

message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16849 comments Clément wrote: "It is OK this is not a graphic novel it is a full book. The page count is a little off but it fits all the requirement."

Oh fantastic. Sorry to scare, I just know there is nothing worse than finishing a book for the Toppler and finding it didn't count.

message 48: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Rusalka wrote: "Clément wrote: "It is OK this is not a graphic novel it is a full book. The page count is a little off but it fits all the requirement."

Oh fantastic. Sorry to scare, I just know there is nothing ..."

No problem, now that my book has all the check marks, I have nothing to fear! :)
It is a thing that I see often with light novels, they are often labelled as "Manga" or "Graphic Novels" but they have about 5 picture if any.

message 49: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9584 comments I have Holding by Graham Norton loaded onto my phone and ready to rock! Roll on 5pm our time :-)

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47880 comments Fifty minutes to go. Woot!

« previous 1 3