Play Book Tag discussion

Greetings from Utopia Park: Surviving a Transcendent Childhood
This topic is about Greetings from Utopia Park
March 2018: Autobiography > Greetings From Utopia Park by Claire Hoffman -- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Greetings from Utopia Park: Surviving a Transcendent Childhood by Claire Hoffman
3 stars

This is one of the hard books to review because it was just....fine. It was okay. Middle of the road. I read it, it was a pleasant way to spend some time, but that was it.

Claire Hoffman was raised in the Transcendental Meditation mecca in Fairfield, Iowa: Utopia Park. She describes growing up with her mom and brother, her mom a true TM believer who works many jobs to support her kids. Claire is a devote TMer until her high school years when she rebels, big surprise, and then she comes returns as an adult to make peace with her childhood.

I did not know much about TM before reading this book, so it was interesting from that perspective. But, otherwise, Claire seems like a typical rebellious teenager. She describes her youth in detail then skims through her high school years, and it felt unbalanced.

Eh. I don't know what else to say.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Hmmm, how did you come to choose this one to read, Nicole? I haven't heard of it or the author . . .I confess that it strikes me as pretty funny that there was a transcendental meditation mecca in Iowa. I thought all that type of stuff happened on the coasts.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments A friend read it and really liked it, so I read it based on her recommendation.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Nicole R wrote: "A friend read it and really liked it, so I read it based on her recommendation."

Ahhh, always the best way to learn about new books . . .I know it is bad, but if I don't see a book mentioned here on PBT, it's like its completely off my radar.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I am typically the same way! But, I do have one RL Friend who matches up nearly 100% with my reading tastes. In her defense, this is the first one she has recommended that I didn’t love.

I also listened to it on audio, which I think tempered my experience a bit. The narrator wasn’t great.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Nicole R wrote: "I am typically the same way! But, I do have one RL Friend who matches up nearly 100% with my reading tastes. In her defense, this is the first one she has recommended that I didn’t love.

I also l..."

That's really nice to have a friend like that! We all have a miss now and again. I have a number of IRL reader friends, but I will say none of them matches remotely near 100%, and the best of the bunch by far is here on PBT with us.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments What would we do without PBT?!? I would maybe never read a book I truly loved ever again. 😢

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments Every now and then even the closest of reading twins can have a split in the gene pool. I guess that’s what makes us different and therefore interesting.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Nicole R wrote: "What would we do without PBT?!? I would maybe never read a book I truly loved ever again. 😢"

Ha ha, seriously . . .