What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Book about books?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris (Kay) | 1 comments Is there a book about English and American literature that briefly tells the main points (theme, mode, characters, setting, storyline, etc.) of major works?

I've looked at The Complete Idiot's Guide and the ...for Dummies series, and I'm not sure that's quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that has a page or two on each title. (If such a thing exists.)

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thank you!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Can't think of such a book off the top of my head (although librarians might know, maybe a big fat reference book exists), but there is the website shmoop.

I'm not linking to them because we don't want to imply an endorsement of a company, or anything. Shmoop dot com backslash literature

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35139 comments Mod
How about Wikipedia? For example:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British... leads to novels such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninetee... which lists plot and main/secondary characters.

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5204 comments Wikipedia is not a book!!

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 180 comments the summary actually really fits The Great American Bathroom Book I by Stevens W. Anderson The Great American Bathroom Book (Gabb) by Stevens W. Anderson The Great American Bathroom Book, Volume 3 by Stevens W. Anderson

Knits Reads Games Sings (knitsreadsgamessings) | 23 comments What about The HarperCollins Reader's Encyclopedia of American Literature

Or The Norton Anthology of American Literature?

Or Prentice Hall Literature (This one comes up as a suggested textbook for American Literature courses.)

message 8: by Paige (last edited Apr 01, 2018 02:06PM) (new)

Paige | 690 comments Masterpieces of World Literature in Digest Form: First series

That's the edition I have, which I acquired at a yard sale a long time ago. There are apparently more recent editions, and Magill apparently also has similar works on world philosophy and African-American literature at this point.