CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > w/o March 30 to April 6, 2018

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3665 comments Mod
Good morning Readers!!!

My apologies for the later posting of this thread but I had a bit of a sleep in after celebrating Canada Reads in toronto yesterday (see the posts on the Meet Up Thread) and topping the day off by meeting Lisa Genova in Waterloo last evening.

I hope everyone has enjoyed the threads surrounding Canada Reads and the book discussions over the past month. This combination of literary contest with a game show format sure does inspire conversation about books which is fantastic!

As we start a long weekend - Happy EAaster - what are you reading? What is next?

I hope that everyone has some time to rest and recharge this weekend (and of course read) as they spend time with loved ones.

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 244 comments This week I finished Red Clocks - feminine dystopian fiction. It wasnt bad. Not a genre that I typically read so perhaps a bit of a welcomed change.

I also read Carnegie's Maid - historical fiction light. This would be a good one to recommend to those friends who may enjoy less literary books but would still like some elements of historical fiction. A good summertime read.

Now I picked up Bachelor Girl which also feels quite light. I will try to pick something more literary once I finish this one.

My bookclub will be reading Exit West soon. The first person finished it and only rated 2 stars so now I am concerned. Have any of you read this one...I thought that I had heard favourable reviews but now I am not so sure.

Happy Easter for those who celebrate....happy spring to everyone

message 3: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Shannon wrote: My bookclub will be reading Exit West soon. The first person finished it and only rated 2 stars so now I am concerned. Have any of you read this one...I thought that I had heard favourable reviews but now I am not so sure.."

I listened to it and loved it. It has some magic realism in it so perhaps the person in your group is someone who doesn't like that style?

message 4: by Louise (last edited Mar 30, 2018 07:05AM) (new)

Louise | 1290 comments I am still bumming that I missed being with the group at Canada Reads yesterday but I did get my bitch bred, so fingers crossed for puppies in 9 weeks. It's because of her I missed out on this trip so she'd better come through with the puppies, hahaha.

I am presently reading the translated work Little Reunions by Chinese writer Eileen Chang. It's a great story, although hard to keep track of all the relatives but luckily there is an 8 page character list at the back of the book, which also means it's better to read in paper than in ebook format as I am always flipping to it.

In audio I am exulting in another William Boyd book, this one spy fiction with a female protagonist, Restless. I love his books so much I need to read (or listen) to them all.

Happy Easter weekend everyone as we all recover from the whirlwind of Canada Reads.

message 5: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 299 comments Shannon, I really liked Exit West. It seems to inspire a variety of opinions, but I found it quite powerful.

Louise, I hadn't heard of Little Reunions - sounds very interesting, and I've added it to my TBR, thanks!

I was sorry to miss Canada Reads but enjoyed everyone's updates very much. I'm heading in to day 6 in a row at work, so it's been a bit of a slog. Last night I finished The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, which was a slow and worthwhile read that will stay with me. I'd like to track down the movie, and to read more Italian literature.

message 6: by Louise (last edited Mar 30, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Louise | 1290 comments Emmkay wrote: "Louise, I hadn't heard of Little Reunions - sounds very interesting, and I've added it to my TBR, thanks!."

I decided to spoil myself last Christmas and gave myself a subscription to the NYRB Classics Book Club:

Members of the NYRB Classics Book Club have received new translations by, among others, Balzac, Gogol, Simenon, Zweig, Szabó and Nobel Prize winner Patrick Modiano, as well as classics by William Gass, Renata Adler, Patrick Leigh Fermor, and many others. “NYRB has made a specialty of rescuing and reviving all kinds of ignored or forgotten works,” said The New York Times, “in English or in translation, fiction and nonfiction, by writers renowned and obscure.”

I think it's going to "open my eyes" to many new authors. Next up will be a German novel by Walter Kempowski

message 7: by Wanda (last edited Mar 30, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Wanda | 568 comments This weekend I hope to finish up with Kafka on the Shore and I have started reading an arc of Full Disclosure: A Novel- a Canadian legal thriller. I have no self restraint and went and bought 8 books from a local charity used book sale yesterday...my book mountain is holding strong and giving Mount Logan some healthy competition. Happy long weekend to everyone- I hope you all read to your heart's content!

@Shannon- I read Exit West and it was just ok for me, I was disappointed given the hype.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 235 comments Happy Friday! Is that still appropriate for Good Friday?

Such an exciting week with Canada Reads. I am so jealous of all those who got together. Still crushing on Tahmoh! LOL! And @Susan to see Lisa Genova after must have been phenomenal!

@Shannon - I have Exit West. Had planned to read with the "Now Read This" PBS News Hour / NYT Book Review book club this month, but haven't gotten to it yet. Lots of discussion about it in their facebook group. Most people seem to have enjoyed it.

@Louise - that sounds like an awesome subscription! I look forward to reading what new authors have opened your eyes!

I have so many books that I had planned to read this month, but didn't get to yet. I did read The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst. It was a nice light fantasy read. The protagonist is a little too self depreciating for my taste. In audio I finished Dirty Genes: A Breakthrough Program to Treat the Root Cause of Illness and Optimize Your Health by Ben Lynch. It was very interesting. His main message is that you don't really need genetic testing. By following his protocal most people can clear up their dirty genes. So much has come out now that the most popular testing like 23andme actually show a lot of false positives. This book was a bit technical so I will download the notes that came with it to read through. This might be one of those books that is better in print than audio, but very helpful!

I am currently reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It has started out great! What's not to like about a young boy, the son of a bookseller, falling in love with a book?

Have a Happy Easter everyone!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 775 comments Happy long weekend!

Shannon, I liked but did not love Exit West. It started and ended strong, though, and I'm not sorry I read it.

This week I finished When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir, which was a 5-star read. I wish this book could be required reading. It affected me in much the same way that Between the World and Me did. A powerful story that makes you check your own privilege.

I also finished The Empty Room, which was a good but tough read. My second book by Lauren B. Davis and I definitely plan to read all of hers.

I've barely started Hellhound on His Trail: The Stalking of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the International Hunt for His Assassin. With the anniversary coming up next week, I thought it was good timing to finally pull this off my shelves. I've also barely started Home Fire, which is longlisted for the Women's Prize.

message 10: by Petra (last edited Mar 30, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Petra | 725 comments Happy Easter!
It's been a slower reading week as I've been on the Island visiting with family. We had a great time together.

I finished The Spencer Mansion: A House, a Home, and an Art Gallery and really enjoyed how the history of one house was used to show a segment of the historical background of Victoria, as well as a history and personal look at the people who have lived in the house and called it home.
I started We've Come to Take You Home, a disappointing read.

I've started listening to East of Eden in the car and am loving it.
My jogging book is still The Girl on the Train. It's a perfect book to listen to while jogging. It's twisted and interesting but I can put it down until the next jog.

Yesterday, I started the sequel to The Sparrow, Children of God. It has started out wonderfully. I think it's going to be as great as The Sparrow was.

@Louise, that sounds like a terrific bookclub to have joined. The books must be truly interesting.

@Lisa, it's been years since I've read The Shadow of the Wind and I still remember loving it. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

@Wanda, is Kafka On The Shore your first Murakami book? I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's weird (in a good way). I've only read one other Murakami novel, 1Q84, and really loved that one. It is a good audio listen.

message 11: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 568 comments @Petra- It is my first Murakami book and you have it spot on- weird in a good way. I was hesitant at first but it has been a crazy journey and I am liking his imagination. I'll check out the audio of 1Q84 as I was enjoying the audio of this one too (until it disappeared back to the library and I had to finish it off with the ebook instead :) Also,
East of Eden has always been on my list- your post reminded me, I must get at this one soon.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 244 comments Thank you everybody! I really appreciate your comments. I will be reading Exit West before April 20th. I look forward to circling back with you guys.

message 13: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 777 comments Happy Easter Friday!
I took a staycation this week, but reading was not happening with Canada Reads, meeting my friends for lunches and getting my taxes done. Had an amazing time with my fellow peeps yesterday. The meetup was just too short!
I did manage to finish Lily and the Octopus in paper for my in-person book club, and Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead and Chaos Monkeys: Obscene Fortune and Random Failure in Silicon Valley in audio. Only liked Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, the other 2 were duds, complete waste of time!
Currently reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Ok, it was much hyped by the ladies at the in-person book club, but it's just ok for me.
Have a great long weekend everyone!

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 78 comments May wrote: "Happy Easter Friday!
I took a staycation this week, but reading was not happening with Canada Reads, meeting my friends for lunches and getting my taxes done. Had an amazing time with my fellow pee..."

@May, are you by any chance a member of the Girly Book Club? I've noticed lately that your monthly in-person book club reads are the same as my own! I belong to the chapter in Toronto. :)

message 15: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 777 comments Colleen wrote: "May wrote: "Happy Easter Friday!
I took a staycation this week, but reading was not happening with Canada Reads, meeting my friends for lunches and getting my taxes done. Had an amazing time with m..."

@Colleen, guilty as charged!! I am a member of both the Toronto and Richmond Hill chapters, but have only gone to the RH chapter since last year!

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 78 comments May wrote: "Colleen wrote: "May wrote: "Happy Easter Friday!
I took a staycation this week, but reading was not happening with Canada Reads, meeting my friends for lunches and getting my taxes done. Had an ama..."

@May, awesome!! Perhaps we'll meet in person one of these days if you venture back downtown. :)

message 17: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 206 comments Feels like Saturday today, I almost forgot to check in for your reading updates! Happy Easter/ Passover to all who celebrate! Hope the Easter Bunny brings along a new book or two!

@Lisa - I have a crush on Tahmoh too! Handsome & intelligent? Oh my!

@May - I felt the same about Lily and the Octopus - I couldn't wait to be done! I'm not a dog owner so partially I just didn't "get it"...

This week I finished Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City -- wow. So powerful, intense & frustrating. Its content has riled me up and I'm still processing it. I've been reading more indigenous authors over the last couple of years, s& have become more aware, but the recency element of this story makes me angry. I read it slower due to its non-fiction reporting style and I'd reco to anyone. So glad it's getting a lot of attention! (Will count as my BINGO book for "in the news").

Still listening to Astrophysics for People in a Hurry -- honestly, it's a slog. But I'm determined to let some of this science soak into my brain.

Thought I'd share what I'm reading with my kids, might give others ideas? I'd love to hear what your kids are reading too. I read out loud (or listen) to my kids most nights. (It's also a way to sneak in the cuddles I get less & less!)

Working on The Underneath with my 8yr daughter; The Goldfish Boy w my 10 yr old son. My eldest (almost 13) is still working on Precious Cargo: My Year of Driving the Kids on School Bus 3077 but also just started this super cool poetry fiction book called The Crossover (I borrowed it for my son but she stole it first!)

With Canada Reads over, I need to swing gears a bit and get caught up with my in person book club. So need to get cracking on:
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry &
The Arrangement (that I meant to start last week).

I see an empty evening in front of me after a FULL extended family day so I'm putting on the kettle & cracking a spine now! Happy reading!

message 18: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 777 comments @Ann-Marie, I really liked The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry! And with Lily and the Octopus, I did like the ending way more than the rest of the book :)

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 244 comments I thought the Octopus was completely and utterly ridiculous. I guess I just can`t read dog books.

message 20: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 435 comments Hey everyone, I have been feeling a bit under the weather this week so not getting online as much as I would like. I did watch all the Canada Reads, and read everyone's posts, sounds like everyone from the group had a great experience.

This week I finished Out of Old Manitoba Kitchens which was my gift from my secret Santa, I just need to make one of the recipes and then have another square of my Bingo completed.

I also finished Mudbound which is a very powerful book.

I have started into Middlemarch which is part of my 2018 reading resolution to read at least 6 of the big chunksters on my TBR list, I am going to go at it slowly, and hope to be done by the end of April.

message 21: by Shelagh (new)

Shelagh Meagher (shelaghmeagher) | 21 comments Lisa wrote: "Happy Friday! Is that still appropriate for Good Friday?

Such an exciting week with Canada Reads. I am so jealous of all those who got together. Still crushing on Tahmoh! LOL! And @Susan to see L..."

I loved Shadow of the Wind! Well written and engrossing.

message 22: by Shelagh (new)

Shelagh Meagher (shelaghmeagher) | 21 comments I just finished The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit which isn't fiction but is incredible enough that it could be. I'm exploring the ideas of solitude and isolation for the novel I'm currently writing. Any suggestions out there?
Otherwise I'll grab one of the other books I'm seeing in your posts.
Happy weekend!

message 23: by ❀ Susan (new)

Well... It has been a busy week so very little reading for me! I only finished The One and Only Ivan which was a middle grade book that my son was reading at school. I read along at the same pace his class read it so it took me a few weeks to finish. It is a sweet story based on an actual gorilla who was kept in a shopping mall before being rescued and taken to the zoo.

I have been listening to Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-to Book which is ok but not as engaging as 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works and am just about done Big Potential: How Transforming the Pursuit of Success Raises Our Achievement, Happiness, and Well-Being by Shawn Actor, author of The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work.

What is next? Just starting Heart Berries: A Memoir and then not sure. I am having trouble sitting down and focusing on a book after all the excitement with Canada Reads and have been reviewing the schedule for the Fold Festival. Anyone interested in meeting Kim, Srividya (I think) and in Brampton?

@Shannon - I was trying to download the Carnegie book from the library but have had a bit of technical difficulty. What about reading The Art of Racing in the Rain? I thought it would be corny but it was actually a really good book!

@Louise and Emmkay - next year!!

@Wanda - just think of it as supporting charity!

@Lisa - Lisa Genova was a terrific speaker - she has one brilliant mind and has such a great way of sharing accurate pictures of neurological diseases through fiction. My daughter joined me and really enjoyed listening to her as well.

@Colleen and May - small world!

message 24: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Shelagh - the only book that immediately comes to mind about solitude is Into the Wild

message 25: by Shelagh (new)

Shelagh Meagher (shelaghmeagher) | 21 comments Thanks!

message 26: by Petra (new)

Petra | 725 comments @Wanda, we may both have some interesting Murakami reads ahead of us. The two I've read have been very good (both interestingly weird). I have The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle on my bookshelf. Maybe that will be my next one.
East of Eden will be a slow read as I'm listening in the car. On Tuesday, when I go back to work, I will start Disc 4/21 and am really looking forward to it. The characters are amazing.

@Shelagh, some books on isolation & solitude might be:
Hunger
Secret Path
The Remains of the Day (perhaps. it's an isolation from one's self, maybe)
Ready Player One (again...perhaps. its an isolation from the real world situation)

Isolation & solitude are interesting themes. I hope you keep telling us of your writing.

message 27: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 777 comments Shannon wrote: "I thought the Octopus was completely and utterly ridiculous. I guess I just can`t read dog books."

@Shannon, I totally agree! I want to kill the Octopus myself!!

message 28: by Story (last edited Mar 31, 2018 05:37AM) (new)

Story (storyheart) @Shelagh, you might try The Wall by Marlen Haushofer. It's labelled dystopian but it's not traditional dystopian fare--more of an exploration of extreme solitude. I loved it.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1758 comments This week I'm reading The Eyre Affair and struggling with it more than expected. It's just so silly.

My audiobook this week is Annabel, and it's just a treat. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

message 30: by ❀ Susan (new)

Annabel was a great read! Interesting story and makes me want to visit NFLD!!

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1290 comments I loved my trip to Nfld last year. One of my favourite places was Woody Point and they have an awesome week long literary fest there every year. I would love to go back just for that. If you go you must visit the movie set for Random Passage in Trinity Bay. There is a great theatre in Trinity too.

message 32: by Shelagh (new)

Shelagh Meagher (shelaghmeagher) | 21 comments Petra wrote: "@Wanda, we may both have some interesting Murakami reads ahead of us. The two I've read have been very good (both interestingly weird). I have The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle on my bookshel..."

Thanks! Hunger looks particularly heavy but in exactly the way I need. Remains is another I should pick up; I watched the movie but so long ago that I can't remember the details. And the book is always better anyway!

message 33: by Shelagh (new)

Shelagh Meagher (shelaghmeagher) | 21 comments Storyheart wrote: "@Shelagh, you might try The Wall by Marlen Haushofer. It's labelled dystopian but it's not traditional dystopian fare--more of an exploration of extreme solitude. I loved it."

Looks fascinating, thanks for the tip! I put it on my 'to read' list.

message 34: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 261 comments I'm reading The Chilbury Ladies' Choir which I love, and planning to re-read Home to Woefield, which I also loved! Isn't it wonderful when you're on a reading roll?

message 35: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Elinor, I loved Chilbury Ladies' Choir so much that I went out and joined a choir. My first concert with them is in 5 weeks :)

message 36: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 261 comments @Storyheart -- How I envy you! We have a singing group in our town called Valley Voices and I am longing to join, but I would be unable to honour my commitment since we are away from home quite often. Enjoy raising your voice in song -- such an uplifting thing to do!