Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)
This topic is about Winter of the World
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Winter of the World [May 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments Spot!

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
8 day out bump.

message 4: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I'm dropping out. I didn't manage to stick with the first one. I'll try another time. Have fun with it and hope you all are more excited about this one!

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olivia wrote: "I'm dropping out. I didn't manage to stick with the first one. I'll try another time. Have fun with it and hope you all are more excited about this one!"

I can't blame you. Although I'll finish the series Follett is very overrated.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments I agree, but I will start this on the tenth, since I still plan on finishing the series...

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Started this morning. Typical Follet both good and bad.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments I will start it tonight...

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Still chugging along. Nothing surprising has happened. It's not bad. It's just Kingsbridge #5. Follet clearly has his pattern.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments I am about 40% in and once again this author depresses the hell out of me! I am on vacation and this is probably the worst book to read while watching the Ocean waves... I hate Lev, I hate the Brown Shirts, I hate how many people sympathized with the Nazis then and now, and not only in Germany... I hate that history repeats itself over and over again and we obviously are not learning anything from it as People... We suck!

I do like the Williamses and I think Mod should have gotten out of there while she could... And I am sick of the lives of the rich and noble being more dear than those of regular folks... End of rant for now 😀😀😀

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments The young G. Peshkov just saw Jackie in DC after 4 years and is wondering why she is afraid of him, since he was so good to her... I can't understand why his first thought wouldn't be that his dad scared her away...

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree with all you said Choko.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments Also, how is it that 98% of all Russian characters are evil bastards? And really, if only the western armies knew what they were doing and all Russian leaders were such incompetent shmucks, how is it that both WWI and wwii were held in a winning or at least not a loosing condition only by them, until the rest of the world finally got involved... And even then they were involved in the most battles than any of the allies... I am not a fan of this slant of the book...

Also, I thought that KF did Walter a disservice, (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments Well, he really wants us to bend the borders of probability here, even for a fictional story... 80% in and (view spoiler)

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko wrote: "Also, how is it that 98% of all Russian characters are evil bastards? And really, if only the western armies knew what they were doing and all Russian leaders were such incompetent shmucks, how is ..."

He sticks with the stereotypes he knows. The corrupt sheriff/bishop/duke........it's one of many reasons I think he's an average author. I'm probably a third done.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments I am going to be done tonight and will start with Malazan... I agree with you, he has those very weird stereotypes, that if he didn't have to put them together with his other stereotypes which contradict each-other, would be acceptable somewhat, but when he puts them in such close proximity, they become even more obvious of how all of them are kind of ridiculous in their generalizations and how the same they are across cultures and basic problematic... Those self-imposed limitations handcuff his chosen scope of writing a lot... I wonder if having the more first hand knowledge I do about the 20th century European politics takes away some of the enchantment from the story, which was much stronger for me in the Kingsbridge trilogy...

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

The other thing he does way too much of is the random meeting of chance between characters who knew each other previously in a different context. I get that most books have this element but with Follett I'm calling them out before hand.

(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments Hahaha! Exactly! You are so right about that! I am telling you, I kind of play the same game with myself, guessing who will hook up with whom or their children eventually, and under what circumstances... And when it came to the disabled child and the gay character, you just knew they were written specifically to get killed off tragically... That kind of bugged me too...

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments I finished and I am sticking for the next book. You are too, right?

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko wrote: "I finished and I am sticking for the next book. You are too, right?"

Yes. I'm a little over halfway. I'll see it through. BTW his sex scenes all follow the same softcore format as well.

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko wrote: "Hahaha! Exactly! You are so right about that! I am telling you, I kind of play the same game with myself, guessing who will hook up with whom or their children eventually, and under what circumstan..."

I thought the inclusion of the disabled was a good call. I'm not sure how many people realize that was a common practice which extended to little people, IE dwarves, down syndrome and on and on.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments Yeah, it is good for those who didn't know, you are right... I tend to forget that many people have no idea... You know they treated all developmental and mental disabilities, as well as just physically disabled, gays and gypsies that way too... Beyond despicable!

Just a little snippet of info, in Greece they killed children born with recognized disabilities all the way until banned in the 70s... Our world is cruel...

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko wrote: "Yeah, it is good for those who didn't know, you are right... I tend to forget that many people have no idea... You know they treated all developmental and mental disabilities, as well as just physi..."

Yes that's sick.

BTW not having a Japanese character is unforgivable. How do you not tell that side of the story? There were American concentration camps, no they weren't killing people, where citizens were imprisoned without due process for the war. There were also Japanese spies who headed back to Japan when the war started housed with information about American POWs and helped torture out of them statements condemning the American government or saying the Japanese treatment of POWs was humane.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments You are absolutely right! Also, over 20 million Chinese died in WWII and we had no mention of them at all... Nor the Australians who had it bad on the Pacific front... And yes, the Japanese were most important when looked upon from the US and Aussie sides... This is why taking on such projects of this scope will always feel like important things are missed - it is impossible to cover everything...

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko wrote: "You are absolutely right! Also, over 20 million Chinese died in WWII and we had no mention of them at all... Nor the Australians who had it bad on the Pacific front... And yes, the Japanese were mo..."

Agreed.

I'm almost done. I have to believe book 3 is going to be the cold war based on all the Russian espionage.

I forgot now much I hate his simple dialogue. I'm desperate, I'll help you, will you?, yes, thank you, it's settled then.

If life was only that easy.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments Hahaha! I know!!! That is why I am so surprised that he is considered such a great author - I think he is good researcher, but as a writer he is average at best...

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko wrote: "Hahaha! I know!!! That is why I am so surprised that he is considered such a great author - I think he is good researcher, but as a writer he is average at best..."

I think he probably appeals to the masses because of his simplicity but my god he writes at a 6th grade level at BEST.

I will give him credit for (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments Once again we are on the same page with him;) Onto the next book then:)

Frank | 671 comments Funny, I rated it the same three stars three years ago and have not changed my opinion.

Choko (chokog) | 5397 comments Frank wrote: "Funny, I rated it the same three stars three years ago and have not changed my opinion."

I hear you! Rough to give it more when he doesn't even seem to be trying as far as his writing style is concerned:)