Telugu Readers discussion

Group reads- Current Year > Group read theme/genres

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 298 comments Mod
Hello, members.
Please list out the themes/genres you would like to read as monthly group reads.

message 2: by eesha (new)

eesha | 28 comments 1. Which are hard to read but essential to grow as a reader or writer or as a person (be it an objectionable topic/structure of writing/complexity).

2. Memoirs/biography, poetry, travel literature, slave narratives, philosophical, psychological, political, religious, country specific (Russian, African etc), detective, history, criticism, cult literature, diaries/journals, essays, wars, leaders, satirical....a lot more and etc :)

message 3: by Harish (new)

Harish Challapalli (harishchallapalli) | 302 comments Mod
1. classics.. small book or lengthy.
2. poetry..
3. comedy/romance...a casual read

not necessarily in telugu language, for the above genres

message 4: by Priya (new)

Harish wrote: "1. classics.. small book or lengthy.
2. poetry..
3. comedy/romance...a casual read

not necessarily in telugu language, for the above genres"

message 5: by Priya (new)

Members, ideas for group reads are welcome. You can post those here or on suggestions thread. This is our group and so let us put our heads together to make it more interesting and help our reading.

♛ ѶaɱՏ¡  TM (vamsikrishnatm) | 350 comments Mod
Choosing from Authors is easy than selecting from Genre , i think.

message 7: by Ravi (last edited Apr 09, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Ravi (goodreadscomuncertainp) ♛ ѶaɱՏ¡ wrote: "Choosing from Authors is easy than selecting from Genre , i think."

Yup Vamsi, that's what I feel too, because if we go by genre based it's difficult to explore as we (M not generalizing, but talking about people like me) dun have that much knowledge in Telugu literature, I chose a book based on the number of reviews/good words about a specific book/author. Perceptions might differ, it's better to take the opinion of every single member before deciding on, and @Priya it's better not freezing the mod thread because members can raise their opinion out there rather creating another thread, make things simple as this is a relatively small group.

In other forums like Indian readers we usually get a Mail/message from the mods about updates and stuff.

Just my POV*

message 8: by Priya (new)

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for, when I originally started this thread. Thank you Ravi and Vamsi, for the feedback.

Choosing from Authors is easy than selecting from Genre , i think.

It would be easier to keep track of group reads too. When there were no suggestions here in a week, we thought everyone is fine with genres. So, went ahead with that for May. Also, we didn't have enough time for the May nominations, before we decide otherwise.

Perceptions might differ, it's better to take the opinion of every single member before deciding on,

Agree with you. I will set up a poll soon where members can vote on Genre Vs Author and we can go by the results from the month of June/July. I say June or July, because members need time to vote on the poll, then if author based group reads are selected, we need to prepare an author list. As goodreads doesn't allow multiple votes, we need to rely on a google survey to set up an author list. All this takes time.

@Priya it's better not freezing the mod thread because members can raise their opinion out there rather creating another thread, make things simple as this is a relatively small group.

I locked Mod Announcement thread because, if we have a discussion/feedback there, members might miss a few announcements in the sea of discussion comments, in future. That is why I created a separate thread exclusively for that reason - Talk to Moderators. The group is small for now. But it might grow bigger later and it would be difficult to find the announcements for the new members.

In other forums like Indian readers we usually get a Mail/message from the mods about updates and stuff.

As you said, those are large groups and not all members would be active. So, in order to let all the members know of the updates or group reads, they send a newsletter. Our group was created recently and the level of activity is limited to one group read at present. Also we are still not setup properly. Once all the things fall in to a path, we can think of newsletter.

@ Priya, Thanks for you efforts. As long as group is active ,am Happy :) what ever the way you guys plan to go ahead.

message 10: by Priya (new)

Just my POV*

All POVs are welcome.

message 11: by Priya (new)

Please Vote for the type of group read.

message 12: by Mahendra (new)

Mahendra Madavaram | 68 comments Hey Guys,

As Ravi and Vamsi suggested choosing from author is easy but it will lead to two level voting
1 . first to choose Author
2. then a book by that paricular author
What is the problem in choosing a book from genre than particular author?

message 13: by Mahendra (new)

Mahendra Madavaram | 68 comments Priya wrote: "Please Vote for the type of group read."

this is nice i did vote

message 14: by Priya (new)

Mahendra wrote: "Hey Guys,

As Ravi and Vamsi suggested choosing from author is easy but it will lead to two level voting
1 . first to choose Author
2. then a book by that paricular author
What is the problem in ..."

If author based group reads win at the end of the current polls, we need to set up a survey (It is going to have an immense list of authors and I am sure one would tire by just reading the author's names) where members can vote for multiple options. That is the only way to get an author list and avoid a second poll to decide an author every month.

Anyway we have till 20th to know the results.

message 15: by Priya (new)

Also, for author based group reads, we might need to separate Classic Authors from Contemporary authors and have two different group reads. I will leave that polls for later.

message 16: by Priya (new)

Author based Group reads got the most votes, so we will go ahead and try that. We need to decide which authors to read in each month. Having an author list for the entire year would make group read nominations easier.

The Plan:
1. All the members would list out the authors they would like to read in the next year, on or before 30th April, 2018.
2. We will set up a survey. Members vote for any 6 authors from the survey.
3. The top 6 authors with the most votes would be considered for the group reads.

But before we do all this, do you want to separate the Classic authors from the others? Because, if we are going to do that, we need two separate lists, two surveys and two group reads, one for Classics and the other for the rest.

Please leave your opinions/suggestions and author lists here.

message 17: by ♛ ѶaɱՏ¡ (new)

I believe, no need of separate list for Classic authors from others.

My authors list

1.Nanduri Rammohan Rao
2.Madhu babu
3.Tilak
4.Chalam
5.Yandamoori
6.Tapi Dharma Rao

message 18: by Priya (new)

♛ ѶaɱՏ¡ wrote: "I believe, no need of separate list for Classic authors from others.

My authors list

1.Nanduri Rammohan Rao
2.Madhu babu
3.Tilak
4.Chalam
5.Yandamoori
6.Tapi Dharma Rao"

Thank you for the opinion and the author list. You can list more than 6 authors, if you like.

message 19: by Priya (last edited Apr 22, 2018 06:02PM) (new)

The entire procedure (make lists, set up surveys, vote and get the final author list) will take at least a month. So, we can start author based group reads from July, 2018. That way, we shall continue the genre based group read for June.

Plan sounds good?

message 20: by Harish (new)

Priya wrote: "The entire procedure (make lists, set up surveys, vote and get the final author list) will take at least a month. So, we can start author based group reads from July, 2018. That way, we shall conti..."

ok..fine.. no need to categorize authors into classical/comedy or anything.

my author list:
1. Malladi (highest priority)
2. Yandamoori
3. Gollapudi maruthi rao
4. kommuri sambasiva rao
5. Tanikella bharani
6. Yeddanapudi

message 21: by eesha (new)

eesha | 28 comments 1. Chalam
2. Ranganayakamma
3. Tripuraneni gopichand
4. Krishna sasthri

message 22: by Uday (new)

Uday Kanth (udayk) | 42 comments 1. Dr P. Sridevi (Kalaatheetha vyaktulu)
2. Raavi Sastry
3. Uppala Lakshman Rao
4. Sripada Subramanya Sastry
5. Leo Tolstoy (translations)
6. Tenneti Suri

message 23: by Priya (new)

We received only 4 lists, thus far. Members, provide the author lists. The authors you are going to read for the rest of the year depend on your lists.

message 24: by Uday (new)

Uday Kanth (udayk) | 42 comments @Priya, instead of fixing the authors for the entire year based on the lists now (because new members may join in between and may have better suggestions), let's only freeze the authors for next quarter (3 months) based on the authors list we have right now. After 3 months, we can ask members for fresh suggestions.

What say?

message 25: by Ravi (new)

Ravi (goodreadscomuncertainp) Uday wrote: "@Priya, instead of fixing the authors for the entire year based on the lists now (because new members may join in between and may have better suggestions), let's only freeze the authors for next qu..."

sounds sensible...

message 26: by Priya (new)

Whatever works for the members.
The reason I said the rest of the year ( 6 months) is that the entire process is tedious and takes a month. Can we spare a month every 3 months?

As long as members take interest and respond promptly, anything can be managed.

message 27: by Ravi (last edited May 01, 2018 11:15AM) (new)

Ravi (goodreadscomuncertainp) Same applies to mods as well there should be proper communication, for putting up a pic took so much time for which I spared time and updated files but to my dismay none of the mods responded on time ... Is it possible to elect a mod ? who can monitor and spend some good 5 to 10 mins daily.. That way things can be managed properly.

message 28: by Ravi (new)

Ravi (goodreadscomuncertainp) my author list:

1. Yandamoori Veerendranath
2. Ravuri Bhardadhwaja
3. Chalam
4. Yeddanapudi Sulochanarani

message 29: by Priya (last edited May 01, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Ravi wrote: "Same applies to mods as well there should be proper communication, for putting up a pic took so much time for which I spared time and updated files but to my dismay none of the mods responded on ti..."

I am not accusing anyone, Ravi. As to the photos, you uploaded a few pics, I tried uploading those and requested your help to get HD pictures and then I finally uploaded one which is according to the specifications. Masthead photos need higher definitions, so couldn't upload any of the pics. (The group icon was set on 30th April, the same day as the photo was uploaded.)

Electing Moderator: I don't know. This is Harish's group, so only he can decide such things.

Anyway, you don't have to put up with me as a mod for long time. Now that the group reads and all other things are set in motion( which took more than 5-10mins a day work), I asked Harish to relieve me of mod duties. I am awaiting his reply. I am hoping he would relieve me.

message 30: by Ravi (new)

Ravi (goodreadscomuncertainp) m referring to the same I updated all the pics the same day i.e. 27th as requested by you including the new pics which we are using now and was awaiting feedback, meeru naku mast head dimensions kuda appude cheppi vunte I could have done that as well.. .anyways constructive criticism accept cheyyala vodda anedi depends on individual perception.. I hv nothing against you M just upset with the delayed responses, when some one pose a question mod/member should have the basic courtesy to respond back.... rather ignoring such posts ...that kinda behavior reflects the attitude ..

Anyways I am quitting this group... I don't see a collective effort here unlike other groups where m a member.......

thanks!

message 31: by Priya (new)

Ravi wrote: "m referring to the same I updated all the pics the same day i.e. 27th as requested by you including the new pics which we are using now and was awaiting feedback, meeru naku mast head dimensions ku..."

Masthead requirements are prompted only when the upload failed ( goodreads problem and not ours to worry). That is why we are unaware of the requirement.

Can you please link the question/suggestion that the Mods avoided to answer or provided a delayed response?
I am all ears for any kind of criticism. My stepping away from mod duties has nothing to do with the group or its members. My new job and the other group that I manage is taking up a lot of time. The group is active and it needs people like you.

If you would like to take up the Mod responsibilities, you are free to send a PM to Harish. Now that I am moving away, he might need extra help.

message 32: by Priya (new)

Any member, who thinks that the Mods are avoiding to answer or are shirking their duties, can post your grievances/accusations in 'Talk to the Moderators'.

We will be happy to hear from the members, even if it is criticism:)

message 33: by Harish (new)

Ravi wrote: "Same applies to mods as well there should be proper communication, for putting up a pic took so much time for which I spared time and updated files but to my dismay none of the mods responded on ti..."

There might have been some delay in deciding about the pic according to you, u did not raise that topic anytime but straight away u started accusing moderators. I dont think thats correct.. And thats not excatly "a constructive criticism"...

message 34: by Harish (new)

Ravi wrote: "Anyways I am quitting this group... I don't see a collective effort here unlike other groups where m a member......."

This clearly shows he is premeditated to leave the group..

message 35: by Uday (new)

Uday Kanth (udayk) | 42 comments I agree with you Harish. I think everyone needs to understand that the mods are doing their best to run this group. No point in accusing.

message 36: by Mahendra (new)

Mahendra Madavaram | 68 comments Uday wrote: "I agree with you Harish. I think everyone needs to understand that the mods are doing their best to run this group. No point in accusing."

yes agreed, they are doing their best

message 37: by Harish (new)

Thanks guys.. we appreciate your support.. it is to be remembered by all that our group is just one month old and we all are doing a good job, of course there is always a scope for improvement. So let’s leave this episode and move ahead..

I hope everything will be taken in a right spirit..

message 38: by Uday (new)

Uday Kanth (udayk) | 42 comments Uday wrote: "@Priya, instead of fixing the authors for the entire year based on the lists now (because new members may join in between and may have better suggestions), let's only freeze the authors for next qu..."

I think we are yet to come to a consensus on this...

message 39: by Harish (new)

I am ok with what Uday proposed..

message 40: by Priya (new)

3 months/6 months, I am fine with anything.

My authors list:

1. Kommuri Sambasivarao
2. Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani
3. T. Gopichand
4. Madhubabu
5. Sri Sri
6. Balabhadrapatruni Ramani

message 41: by Mahendra (new)

Mahendra Madavaram | 68 comments My Authors List:

1. Chalam
2. Viswanatha Sathyanarayana
3. Sri Sri
4. Mullapudi Venkata ramana
5. Thanikella Bharani
6. Kommuri Sambasivarao

message 42: by Siva (new)

Siva (samba_siva) | 108 comments My Authors List:

1. Kommuri SambaSiva Rao
2. Sri Sri
3. Madhubabu
4. Suryadevara Ram Mohan Rao
5. Yandamoori Veerendranath

message 43: by Priya (last edited May 11, 2018 10:33PM) (new)

Thank you all for the interest and the author lists.

The author survey is open and I have sent a message to all members with the survey link. If you didn't get the mesaage, you can use the link below and vote.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sgpr...

Please vote for only 3 authors from the list and submit your response only once ( Either use the link in your message or the one above).

Voting ends on 23rd of May, 2018.

message 44: by Priya (new)

Just one more day to vote on group read author list!
We have 12 responses so far. If anyone else is interested, please vote by midnight, tomorrow.

message 45: by Sarath (new)

Sarath | 101 comments తెలుగు పుస్తక మిత్రులారా....

మీ అందరికి తెలుసు..
శ్రీమతి యద్దనపూడి సులొచన రాణి గారు స్వర్గస్తులయ్యారు.. వారు చివరి ఇంటర్వూలో ఒక మాట అన్నారు.. "నేను చనిపోయినపుడు నా అభిమానులు ఎవరు బాధ పడవద్దు.. నా "సెక్రటరీ" నవల ఒకసారి చదవండి.. ఇదే మీరు నాకు ఇచ్చే నివాళి .." అని చెప్పారు..

కనుక...అందరం వారికి నివాళిగా ఆ పుస్తకం చదువుదాం.. మన గ్రూప్ తరపున ఆ మహా రచయితకు మనం ఇచ్చే నివాళి అవుతుంది అని నా అభిప్రాయం... లేదా జూన్ నెలలో గ్రూప్ రీడింగ్ కింద చదివే పుస్తకాలకు "సెక్రెటరీ" కూడా జత చేద్దాం..

మీ అభిప్రాయాలు చెప్పండి...

message 46: by ♛ ѶaɱՏ¡ (new)

Hi Sarath, Good Idea.

Spelling mistakes leni mee telugu, Super . Are using any tools for easy typing in telugu font ?

message 47: by Sarath (new)

Sarath | 101 comments నాకు టెక్నికల్ విషయాలు అంతగా అవగాహన లేదు. నా ఫోన్లో "గూగుల్ ఇండిక్ తెలుగు కీబోర్డ్" ఉంది.. ఇంగ్లీష్ టైప్ చేసిన వేగంతో తెలుగులో కూడా టైప్ చేయచ్చు. కానీ కంప్యూటర్ లో ఏమి వాడతారో నాకు తెలియదు.. మీరు సలహా ఇవ్వగలరు..☺️☺️

message 48: by ♛ ѶaɱՏ¡ (last edited May 22, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

Few options i use, dont ask me why i wrote is English ;) . Its much easier.

1. https://www.google.com/intl/te/inputt... - We can include this addon for Chrome web browser.

2. https://www.google.com/?hl=te&gl=IN , click on the voice option and talk in Telugu, it will write it for you in telugu script. Not 100% accurate but its improved a lot. Using this feature in mobile keyboard Gboard is more easy.

3. websites like lekhini.org

message 49: by Siva (new)

Siva (samba_siva) | 108 comments Mobile లో నేను Indic keyboard వాడతాను.. PC లో Google Input Tools వాడతాను...

message 50: by ♛ ѶaɱՏ¡ (new)

సూపర్, ఇండిక్ కీ బోర్డ్ ఇన్స్టాల్ చేసాను ఫోన్ లో.. తెలుగు టైప్ చేయడం చాలా సులభం.

సాంబ / శరత్ , thanks. 👏 👏 👏

« previous 1