Play Book Tag discussion

The Arab of the Future: A Childhood in the Middle East, 1978-1984
This topic is about The Arab of the Future
March 2018: Autobiography > The Arab of the Future 1-3 by Riad Sattouf - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sushicat (last edited Mar 30, 2018 02:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sushicat | 804 comments I read volumes 1-3 in one go - the review covers all three.

Riad Sattouf is the son a Syrian father and a French mother. His father dreams of a grandiose future for a united Arab people. He takes his family to Libya and later back to his hometown in rural Syria, while he teaches at University. Riad, who looks like a blond angel, tells us about his life and family from the perspective of a 4-9 year old. Early memories are about foods, smells, toys and puzzling encounters with strangers. Later his obvious otherness is cause for problems and he begins to look at his parents beyond their domestic life.

I liked the perspective of the child and his naive take on events, the way he introduces subtle details into his drawings and sometimes points them out with comments. I rather disliked the stereotypes.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6642 comments Was this one a graphic novel, Sushicat? I'm glad you enjoyed the child POV - - I'm not sure I'd like that, but the drawings sound worthwhile.