What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Bloodtide (Blood, #1)
This topic is about Bloodtide
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Dystopian England, wall around London? Mutants/halfbreeds outside the wall. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanja (last edited Jul 25, 2014 06:08AM) (new)

Vanja (mwuuh) | 3 comments I started reading this book about ten years ago, then abandoned it and forgot the title and author. Here's what I can remember:

Possibly set in England/London. Dystopian future, there is a huge wall around the city, keeping out the "mutants", the halfbreeds that are very likely to kill you if they see you.

I believe the main characters were a guy and a girl; the girl being held hostage for some villain who had cut the back of her ankles so she wouldn't escape; the guy had somehow managed to end up outside the city wall, and was attacked by a giant boar mutant, I believe, but he was saved by a human/pig lady, who took him home to her place to feed him.

I remember the guy being really snotty, accusing the pig lady of purposely starving him, because obviously she wasn't starving, as she was so fat! She took the abuse without words, I think, but when he grabbed her arm he was very suprised to find that although she was thick-skinned she was just as starved as he was, being only skin-and-bones.

- I have tried Googling for this book many times, but I've come up with naught. I would really like to try reading this book again.

message 2: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Maybe The Roar
"In a bleak future, humans use terrible chemicals to fight The Animal Plague that causes all of the world's animals to go rabid and renders most of the planet uninhabitable. The population now cowers in overcrowded walled cities. Mika, 12, and his parents live in London in terrible conditions. His twin, Ellie, supposedly drowned a year earlier, but Mika is convinced that she still lives. He's right. The story begins with Ellie and a tiny monkey named Puck fleeing a spaceship in a stolen Pod Fighter. Sadly, their attempt to escape is foiled by the evil Mal Gorman, who has a plan to co-opt the entire first generation of children born after the Plague and make them into an army for his own nefarious purposes. And Gorman has special plans for kids like Mika and Ellie, whose mutations give them unique abilities. To save his sister, Mika will have to win a contest involving simulator battle games and many deadly challenges, using abilities he never knew he had."

Or Inhuman - "16-year-old Lane lives in a dystopian society, where beyond the boundary wall live people who are known as ‘feral’ – part-human, part-animal hybrids."

message 3: by Vanja (new)

Vanja (mwuuh) | 3 comments Gosh, it could possibly be The Roar, but I can't seem to remember any sort of spaceship, or even plague. The rest sounds awfully correct, though. I'll check it out. Thank you!

message 4: by Isabel (kittiwake) (last edited Jul 25, 2014 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isabel (kittiwake) | 111 comments This is definitely Bloodtide by Melvin Burgess, which is a young adult book based on the first half of the Saga of the Volsungs. There is a sequel called Bloodsong.

Edited to add a few details about the story: The marriage of Conor and Signy is supposed to unite London's two most powerful gangs, but Conor betrays his new wife's family, and cuts the tendons on Signy's ankles to keep her trapped and helpless. It is her brothers who are left as prey for the mutant pig, and only Siggy survives to be rescued by the pig-woman, who hides him from Conor.

message 5: by Vanja (new)

Vanja (mwuuh) | 3 comments YES! Thank you so much!