Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1)
This topic is about We Are Legion (We Are Bob)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > We are Legion (We Are Bob) [April 2018]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 15th April.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments This is very hyped and I want to know what all the fuss is.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I've heard nothing but good things... except that all the Bobs can be confusing on audio, maybe...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Apparently I have the ebook too, just remembered that haha
I'll still be taking my time since I do have other BRs at the same time. Oh commitment...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments I started yesterday with the audiobook.

chapter 1-2
interesting enough. very light. the MC reminded me of Mark Watney from The Martian.

chapter 3 or whatever chapter when there is an exposition of the world situation
(view spoiler)

End of part I
I am not impressed with the plot. But the narrator is Really good.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I've never heard of this but it looks funny. I'm going to try to see if I can fit this in.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments come and join us Diana!

I felt I missed stuff from the audio so I am rereading parts from the ebook version.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments woo more people... I never read The Martian, but I saw the movie, so I have a little idea of what you mean...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Chapter 17
(view spoiler)

I also found this book is pretty exposition heavy. My eyes just glazed over descriptions of programming stuff.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I do that in a lot of sci-fi if it doesn't feel relevant...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Some authors can make the techno technical babbles interesting. The Martian is one of the example. Even Seveneves with its orbital mechanics. I might not understand fully but I did try to.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Did you finish this, Iain?

It was a disappointment for me. Tons of pop/SF references made it lamer and the plot was not interesting. I skimmed the Deltans part because they were such a snoozefest.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I forgot about this, actually, since the plan was for me to join later... I'll try and start later today/tonight...

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I started: 15% in:

Bob 1.0: (view spoiler)

Bob 2.0: (view spoiler)

Summary: So far I agree with the pop/SF reference crutch... it detracts from the story... maybe I got saturated reading Ready Player One last month?

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments Silvana wrote: "I started yesterday with the audiobook.

chapter 1-2
interesting enough. very light. the MC reminded me of Mark Watney from The Martian.

chapter 3 or whatever chapter when there is an exposition o..."

(view spoiler)

I do like the science/SF of self-replicating 3D atomic printers...

message 16: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 134 comments Just finished this with another club and enjoyed it but didn't love it like some folks. I listened to the audio and had to chuckle every time (view spoiler).
I was a little surprised by the (view spoiler)

message 17: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 24, 2018 06:09AM) (new) - added it

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I'm about 2/3rds in now... it really has taken some unexpected twists and turns away from the initial blurb/mission, like Ctgt mentioned...

The Deltan parts remind me of the Spider documentary parts in Children of Time, a bit... but with the unnecessary, sometimes juvenile, commentary of the Illuminae Files books getting in the way...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Ctgt wrote: "Just finished this with another club and enjoyed it but didn't love it like some folks. I listened to the audio and had to chuckle every time [spoilers removed].
I was a little surprised by the [sp..."

It seems that the author wanted to mash everything space Opera in it his first book. That was a really crappy first contact story.

The Ackbar thing was funny at first but lost its charm after the 8th joke.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Iain wrote: "I forgot about this, actually, since the plan was for me to join later... I'll try and start later today/tonight..."

My apologies, I forgot that you did mention you are going to start later this month. Lucky you're the Flash of FBR!

message 20: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 24, 2018 11:00AM) (new) - added it

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments Silvana wrote: "Ctgt wrote: "Just finished this with another club and enjoyed it but didn't love it like some folks. I listened to the audio and had to chuckle every time [spoilers removed].
I was a little surpris..."

(I finished a little bit ago, and): That was my feeling too... in the end, it all felt a bit anti-climactic, since I guess it's really more of a 3-part story...

Also... time flies by so fast and arbitrarily that I barely noticed...

And I have a hard time of telling which Bob is narrating when the perspective shifts... that's more a narration problem I think... one of my friends commented on this samey-ness in narration in her review... but there's only so much you can do with clones, I guess...

I think one of the problems is that there are basically mutliple little stories going on here, 90% unconnected except for the Bobiverse chat holo-server... and the ending added a 3rd storyline for the next book, basically...

I got to the end, and my only thought was: "it's over?... but what about all the stuff that just happened?"

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments Are we doing For We Are Many at some point?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Not me, unfortunately. Don't like the first book.