Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
This topic is about The Fellowship of the Ring
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Fellowship of the Ring [April 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 1st April.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Yay! Excited

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Me too! It's been years since I read this.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Reading through the prologue right now!

message 5: by Maria (last edited Apr 01, 2018 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments My copy has notes on the previous editions and stuff. Pretty cool

message 6: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Very tempted since I don’t have many books this month so I might rush order the books (The full middle earth books that are also hardcover) and catch up later on

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments That's great! Would love to have you

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I just read through the prologue (about hobbits) and the first chapter. Glad to finally be reading this again. I love his writing. And it has set things up nicely.

I plan to finish within two weeks. Wish I could go a little faster, but I don't have a lot of time.

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments I am so thrilled our group is doing fellowship!!!
Wish I could re-read but Im Scheduled for like 7 books already this month!

message 10: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished chapter two. I think I'm going to be slower than I expected. There are a lot of details I had forgotten. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Read the first chapter. I noticed (with two other chapters as well, by counting the pages) that the chapters are rather long. Well might be because I haven't read those in a while. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments And don't worry I'll be very slow, too. Have a lot going on: studies, assignments and reviews and such. Well mainly studies, ugh. Very stressful, all that

message 13: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Maria wrote: "Read the first chapter. I noticed (with two other chapters as well, by counting the pages) that the chapters are rather long. Well might be because I haven't read those in a while. What a dramatic..."

(view spoiler)

message 14: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Maria wrote: "And don't worry I'll be very slow, too. Have a lot going on: studies, assignments and reviews and such. Well mainly studies, ugh. Very stressful, all that"

Good luck with everything! I know I didn't do much reading through college. I was too caught up in work.

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished chapter 3. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments C.P. wrote: "Maria wrote: "Read the first chapter. I noticed (with two other chapters as well, by counting the pages) that the chapters are rather long. Well might be because I haven't read those in a while. Wh..."

Thanks. And I know! You barely ever get time to read in university. I had read so less through the first semester, now I'm determined to read more in this one, (though without lowering my grades, lol).

message 17: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments That's a hard balance to achieve.

message 18: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I'm gonna join you guys later but I have a small problem

I DON'T KNOW WHAT BOX SET TO CHOOSE

Honestly I dont care how much I spend I dont know which editions I want to buy since they are so good and I want to cherish these for the rest of my life

message 19: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Hope you figure out which one you want! I want to get them all in the small leatherbound editions, but haven't wanted to fork out the money.

message 20: by Maria (last edited Apr 05, 2018 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments C.P. wrote: "Just finished chapter two. I think I'm going to be slower than I expected. There are a lot of details I had forgotten. [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Argh I missed this.

I'm due for a re read and it's been so long that it'll be an initial read.

Argh.

message 22: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Starting

message 23: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Decided to get the pocket leather edition of hobbit and LOTR as well as the silmarillion and It will be arriving next week I honestly cannot wait

message 24: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Those are the ones I want, Ahdam!

message 25: by Maria (last edited Apr 06, 2018 11:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments C.P. wrote: "Just finished chapter 3. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

C.P. wrote: "That's a hard balance to achieve."

Yes T^T I'd need all the luck...and so much hard work too!

Ahdam wrote: "Decided to get the pocket leather edition of hobbit and LOTR as well as the silmarillion and It will be arriving next week I honestly cannot wait"

Nice!

message 26: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments What are you studying, Maria?

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Business. It's very dull.

I'm reading chapter 6. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Reading chapter 7. The descriptions are beautiful in this one! (view spoiler)

message 29: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Man, I need to catch up! I think I've read through chapter 5. I love the songs and poems. Those have always been some of my favorite parts in these.

message 30: by Maria (last edited Apr 07, 2018 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments I loved the bath song a lot! It was funny :p

I'm currently on chapter 8. In chapter 7 (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments C.P. wrote: "Man, I need to catch up! I think I've read through chapter 5. I love the songs and poems. Those have always been some of my favorite parts in these."

Don't worry I won't be that fast either. It's just the weekend that's given me more time to read. Monday will come and disrupt my reading routine

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments I'm reading chapter 11. And I have a wild theory.(view spoiler)

message 33: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I need to catch up. I've been slacking on this one.

message 34: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished chapter 10. I feel like these last couple of chapters are where things really start to pick up in this. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments C.P. wrote: "Just finished chapter 10. I feel like these last couple of chapters are where things really start to pick up in this. I like the introduction of Aragorn. I remember that more distinctly than I have..."

Me, too! (view spoiler)

On chapter 11 right now. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Why does my edition has two books? As in, the 22 chapters are divided in these two parts

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments But these are written as Book 1 and book 2. I'm confused

message 38: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments It is actually supposed to be one long novel (The Fellowship, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King) which are then broken down into two books each. So it's one story with six parts, essentially.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Ok

message 40: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I just finished chapter 11. I'm glad that I read The Silmarillion. I'm picking up more details about some of these stories than I would have otherwise.

I'm also liking Sam, which kind of surprises me because I don't remember liking him much when I read these years ago. I wasn't athat fan of him or Frodo in the movies, I found them overly annoying.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments That's cool! I was just wondering if anyone had read the Middle Earth series and what they thought of it.

And oh, why do you think you like Sam now? :p

message 42: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I read the Hobbit and these three years ago, but just started in on some of the others.

Not sure. I think the way they were done in the movie annoyed me and since I read the books and saw the movies really close together that was what was in my head.

message 43: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I’ve started reading this and so far I’ve read up to chapter 1 as well as read the prologue and some foreword stuff

It’s weird I didn’t realise there were so many errors in the first edition because the publishers had no clue about Tolkien’s use of language and chalked some of it up to typos and it took a long to time to rectify them

The prologue talking about the hobbits were really interesting and it’s nice k owing about there society which could t be explained in the film and the first chapter doesn’t waste time getting that out of the way of you know what I’m saying

This has been a long time coming and I’m so excited to finally experience the story that inspired so many fantasy authors today and so far I am intrigued and I’m enjoying the writing as well which is good

message 44: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I thought all of the errors in the first edition was interesting as well. I could definitely see that happening.

message 45: by Maria (last edited Apr 15, 2018 12:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Ahdam wrote: "I’ve started reading this and so far I’ve read up to chapter 1 as well as read the prologue and some foreword stuff

It’s weird I didn’t realise there were so many errors in the first edition becau..."

Yes! I felt the same way while reading through the first few chapters. Found similarities with some other, more recent fantasy books I've read.

message 46: by Ahdam (last edited Apr 15, 2018 06:17AM) (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Well I might as well show you guys it now

image: description

image: description

Nutri | 3 comments I've just seen all three movie adaptations in the cinema during an all-night-movies event in my city and I definitely am going to re-read this gem.
For too long I have got on with everyday life without Frodo Baggins and Samwise the Brave!

message 48: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Those look really nice, Ahdam! That's the set that I want, just haven't done it because I already have a paperback bindup so I haven't been able to justify the expense. One day!

And I just finished book one (of the two in the Fellowship). I'm really loving Eragorn.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Finished chapter 3 in the second book. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Abandoning this for now, because I'm still reading the Silmarillion and I think I should finish it before re-reading this because context. It's nice to actually know stuff like what the hell the First Age is.

« previous 1