What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Enemies to Lovers BUT fantasy/paranormal/scifi -- not modern or historical

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ (last edited May 06, 2018 04:47AM) (new)

Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ | 176 comments Hi, probably been asked a billion times by now, but I'm looking for enemies to lovers but without the contemporary or historical (English/Scot dramas) settings I keep seeing. Adult or New Adult preferable, but can handle YA if they're not immature.

Enemies who don't hate each other (Radiance) or kind of do (Reborn,Shatter Me) or definitely do (Pestilence) -- I'd love to see your suggestions. All wacky ones welcome, aliens, demons, magic boys, scaley dicked dragons...

Ta!

UPDATE:
Current recs from this thread:

Radiance
Reborn
Shatter Me
Pestilence
Immortals After Dark Series
Hunter's Need
Slave to Sensation (and series)
Frostblood
The Cruel Prince
The Black Witch
The Iron King
The Book of Ivy
The Crown's Game
Ruined
The Kiss of Deception
The Winner's Curse
Court of Thorns Series
Fighting Destiny
Fall From Grace
Step into the Dark
On the Edge
A Promise of Fire
Assassin's Gambit
Last Kiss Goodnight
Iron Duke
Harry Potter/Draco Fanfiction (lol)
Spider's Bite
The Winter King
Obsidian
Mercy Thompson series
Kate Daniels series

message 2: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments Kresley Cole has a series named “Immortals After Dark” that is full of this type of thing.

For example “A Hunger Like No Other”. A werewolf, who was tortured by vampires, finds out his destined mate is a vampire. There are multiple books, but I can’t link on my phone.

message 3: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments “Hunters Need” by Shiloh Walker.
“Duke is bitter. A shapeshifter betrayed by the psychic powers of Analise Morell, he cannot forgive her for putting him in the clutches of a feral vampire, but he also can't shake his desire for her.”

message 4: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments Sorry these are all separate. I can’t go back and edit on my phone either. I’m browsing my bookshelves and finding more.

“Slave to Sensation” by Nalini Singh. He’s a changeling and she’s Psy (mental abilities) and they definitely start off on opposite sides, though not hating each other specifically. Getting over their antagonism of the other race is a big part of the story. This starts a pretty extensive series. Best read in order, if you end up liking it. Though I started I the middle, before I knew it was a series. Some of the others start antagonistic and some don’t.

Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ | 176 comments Thank you Ebookworm for the wonderful suggestions! So wonderful in fact, that I've already read them a few times :'( -- great books though

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 180 comments A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2) by Sarah J. Maas A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3) by Sarah J. Maas
Fighting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #1) by Amelia Hutchins
Fall From Grace (Mad World, #1) by Christine Zolendz
A Step into the Dark (Ollie Wit, #1) by Donna Augustine
I have more too. These were the ones that popped into my head.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 180 comments On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews one of my favorites, love this entire series!!
A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Bouchet really unique and good
Assassin's Gambit (Hearts and Thrones, #1) by Amy Raby my next read. Assassin falls for her prey!
Last Kiss Goodnight (Otherworld Assassin, #1) by Gena Showalter love this author. If you haven’t checked out her Lords of the Underwolrd series, do so.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
The Iron Duke steampunk in a Regency era England that has had a really major time-line twist from ours. In this one Genghis Khan didn't halt his march across the known world--he went on to conqueror the know world of that time--using all kinds of fun steampunkish creations. Megalodons that are armour plated, krakens that are, again, armour plated, nanobots that control those who have swallowed them, humans that have basically been turned into cyborgs. . . Er, sorry. This one has the H and h not exactly hating each other, but more not exactly liking each other.

And I'm going to second Jessica's suggestion of the On the Edge books.

Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ | 176 comments Thank you Trisha, Jessica, and Ann! Good books, there's two or three I haven't read so I'm super excited to try them out. Thanks!

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ wrote: "All wacky ones welcome, aliens, demons, magic boys, scaley dicked dragons..."

Well, there's a lot of Harry Potter / Draco Malfoy fanfic out there lol

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Spider's Bite while the 2 don't exactly hate each other, they are on different sides of the law. She's an assassin and he's a cop. This is UF. I think that their romance continues for only a couple of books, before he can't take the angst any more. I'm not totally sure that this series meets your defined parameters, but I liked it and thought I'd toss it out there.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ | 176 comments Love love these suggestions. 💕 I’ve gotten through all of them, so any new takers I’d love to hear from you (can you tell I’m a little obsessed? )

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Apr 27, 2018 04:13PM) (new)

In the first Kate Daniels book Kate and the Beast Lord start out on opposite sides of the fence with Kate suspecting him of murdering her guardian. Magic Bites (UF series that is great.)

In Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series Mercy and Adam don't hate each other, more of an adversarial relationship. Moon Called is the first book in the series. UF again.

message 16: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 51 comments Obsidian is the first in Jennifer L. Armentrout LUX series its amazing all of her books are!

Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡ | 176 comments Thank you Nicola & Ann. Finished Obsidian (like a fun Twilight with aliens haha) and looking forward to starting on Kate Daniels :)

message 19: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 26 comments Legend by Marie Lu

message 22: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 29, 2018 01:38PM) (new)

Several of the Shielder books by Catherine Spangler have this premise. Shielder is the first book in the series and is like that. Shamara, book 3 is another.

edit: Forgot to mention these are sci-fi romances.

message 23: by Temeritous (last edited Jun 30, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Temeritous | 20 comments Ilona Andrews' latest, just released a couple of days ago, Iron and Magic-- urban fantasy. Takes place in the Kate Daniels world. *Can* be read as a stand-alone series (will be a trilogy), but will be even more enjoyable if have read the Kate Daniels series so far (last one of KD is out next month-- Aug 2018). Although Iron and Magic is the first of a trilogy it has a satisfying ending and is not a cliffhanger. Has a slow-burn, hate-to-start-of-love, and not a lot of sex but it is still sexy. A lot of action, a little bit more gore than the KD series, and the hero is an anti-hero who was a villain in the KD series. The husband/wife authors do a really great job of not making the hero turn all mushy redeeming himself-- redeeming the hero and showing his humanity while giving him good character development and growth while not making him act out of, or lose, his character of why he became the way he is.

Also, another I love is Land of the Beautiful Dead by R. Lee Smith. Enemies to lovers, hate to love, emotional, brutal, but beautiful fantasy/almost horror (and I do not like horror books). Standalone fantasy, post-apocalyptic type setting. Hero is not human and is an anti-hero. Awesome book.

message 24: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 218 comments Burn for me- Ilona Andrews
The fae chronicles- Amelia Hutchins
Fever series- Karen Marie Moning
Guild Hunter series- Nalini Singh
Demonica series- Larissa Ione
Dark Swan series- Richelle Mead
Half way to the grave- Jeanine Frost

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 322 comments The Witches of Cleopatra Hill Box Set: Volume 1 by Christine Pope.
Blood Vengeance By L.E. Wilson I thought was really good and had this theme...it’s book 2 and series should be read in order, though.
I believe Prophecy: Child of Light by Felicity Heaton also has this theme. It’s been years since I read it, though.

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments Shards of Honor, by Lois McMaster Bujold Shards of Honor

message 27: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

OOOhhh, Ms. McMaster is a really good author. Nice suggestion Pamela.

message 28: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "OOOhhh, Ms. McMaster is a really good author. Nice suggestion Pamela."

Thanks.