What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/Children's fiction - a story with a boy, mansion, and a skull

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark | 11 comments I don't have a lot of detail on this one as it goes back to around the early 90's when I read the book. It's a YA/Children's fictional story about a boy who enters a mansion/large house (from what I remember) and finds a skull in the house. I remember it being a scary book, but I don't have much more of the plot line. It was a smaller paperback with a picture of the house on it I think. Also if my memory is correct, I believe the colors on the cover were black and purple.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Something by John Bellairs perhaps?

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark | 11 comments None of those are the one I'm looking although I will keep looking to see if he has other books that aren't listed in goodreads. You definitely hit the right genre though. I don't remember there being any wizards or magic though. Thanks for your help so far.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
R.L. Stine is another author who wrote similar books. Could it be him?

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 11 comments I don't think so but I will look. I read a lot of the goosebumps books when I was a kid but I don't think this is one of them.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

message 7: by Ibadat (new)

Ibadat Javed | 5 comments I have read similar books by Avi, maybe it was something by him?

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark | 11 comments Not the headless ghost b RL Stine and I didn't see an Avi book that would fit either. It would have to have been published before 1996 at the latest and a lot of his books were written after. I did check the earlier ones though and didn't see anything. Again thanks for the continuing help all.

message 9: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 274 comments Author Mary Downing HahnMary Downing Hahn did similar themes in the right era of publication.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
This reminds me of the Three Investigator series by Robert Arthur. I looked at some of the covers, but a lot of them have been updated. I recall one of the covers having the three boys with a skull. I think the colors were purple and blue.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Mark, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark | 11 comments I have some books that were noted above to check but I still haven't found it.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Still looking now?

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark | 11 comments No, haven't found it yet.

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Mark, is it a haunted or deserted house/mansion?

Who's skull? Where in the house did he find it? Can you tell us more about the importance of the skull?

message 16: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2501 comments Mod
I know you've ruled out John Bellairs but I'm going to throw this out there, anyway, just in case you overlooked it: The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull