Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

50 Science Fiction Essentials Written by Women

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 795 comments 50 Science Fiction Essentials Written by Women

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...

I'll leave this here for future reference :)

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1472 comments I did not know Metropolis was written by a woman. That needs to go on a poll....

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd be neat to have a month that's just for really old ones. Probably a lot are on Project Gutenberg for free.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo (glitchyspoons) | 25 comments oh cool! I haven't read many of these... going to look into em

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1472 comments We're going to use this list as the basis for our next poll. Pick a book from the list and post it here. We'll vote on the first four selections.

message 6: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 795 comments Gary wrote: "We're going to use this list as the basis for our next poll. Pick a book from the list and post it here. We'll vote on the first four selections."

I would vote for Infomocracy

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1472 comments Except for the books we've already read, I don't think there's a book on that list that we shouldn't get to one way or another....

So, unless anyone has another suggestion, in addition to Infomacracy I say we go for:

Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress
The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett
Synners by Pat Cadigan

All those have a kind of similar "technology/politics" kind of vibe rather than, say, biotech or dystopia or whatever.

Those are all pretty contemporary, so maybe next month we can do a "classic" poll, also from that list/site, with:

The Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish
Mizora: A World of Women by Mary E. Bradley
The Citadel of Fear by Francis Stevens/Gertrude Barrows Bennett
Metropolis by Thea von Harbou

Any comments/suggestions/contributions?

message 8: by Amber (last edited May 29, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 659 comments The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett. In addition to the tidbit about her involvement in ESB, she also wrote the screenplay for the John Wayne original version of True Grit.

She is one of only a few authors on this list I've actually heard of. If anyone votes for the dystopias The Hunger Games, The Handmaid's Tale or The Children of Men, I'm likely to opt out...again. I categorically REFUSE to read dystopias of any sort, even when written by women, as I am of the belief that this DRECK actually set the stage for the "election" of Agent Orange; a.k.a Donald Trump.

message 9: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 795 comments Gary wrote: "Any comments/suggestions/contributions?"

Both groups sound good to me.
I set up the poll for June's selection.

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1472 comments Amber wrote: "I categorically REFUSE to read dystopias of any sort, even when written by women, as I am of the belief that this DRECK actually set the stage for the "election" of Agent Orange; a.k.a Donald Trump."

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of entertainment media that proposes some sort of culling of humanity. Avengers: Infinity War, which basically took ideas from Kingsman: The Secret Service and put shiny suits on them rather than tailored ones, Alien Seige, the entire spate of zombie movies & TV shows. It's not a new phenomenon, of course, but on some weird, paranoid level whenever I see those kinds of products I wonder just what they are prepping us for?

message 11: by Amber (last edited May 31, 2018 10:23AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 659 comments Actually, it's the reverse, because there was a whole slew of actual comic books that the Avengers: Infinity War movie is based on, so technically the Kingsman movie ripped off the MCU.

Only thing they're "prepping" us for is having our brains rotted by dystopian crap including The Handmaid's Tale, AND Donald Trump's "Presidency," Gary.

And I actually agree, in principal, with culling our species because there's just too G*d (bleep)ed many of us breeding as indiscriminately as cockroaches...or maybe Tribbles. That's what the movie Soylent Green, which is set just a few years from now, was exploring.

I've ALWAYS been paranoid about the sheer number of us as a species, Gary. Even when I was FIVE, I was paranoid. If anything, I've gotten even MORE paranoid as I've gotten older.