Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Before You Publish > Affordable editing

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Gabrell | 1 comments Hi all! My name is Melanie. I am a new author and new to goodreads. I finished a manuscript and had a few beta readers review my work, but now I need an editor (developmental/copyedit). I have heard from some that I should just wing it, but as a new author I am very nervous about it. I want to make sure my work is good quality!! The internet hasn’t shown me much advice, so I was hoping some of you may provide some. Do you know of any affordable editors? Any advice will help. Thank you!

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineparkerco) | 1 comments Hi Melanie, congrats on finishing your manuscript!

I'm a freelance editor so I might be biased but I think winging it is a pretty dangerous way to go, especially for your first book. The more rounds of revision your draft goes through, the cleaner it will be. If you're planning to self-publish, you want your book to be in the best shape possible, because your readers will absolutely spot the errors you miss, and then you risk negative reviews. If you're planning to publish traditionally by querying agents, a draft full of plot holes and mechanical mistakes will end up on the bottom of their slush pile, or even outright rejected.

Yes, professional editing can be very expensive, but it's worth it, in my opinion. It shows that you take your writing seriously, and will set your work apart from the amateur/hobby writers who blow it off.

So my advice is to get as many eyes on your work as possible. Even if you only use free beta readers, use a bunch of them! The more people you get to look at your draft, the more errors they will catch.

Depending on your genre, I might be interested in working with you. I'm new to freelancing so my rates are very reasonable. You can check out my website at http://www.chickadeerevisions.com or email me at info@chickadeerevisions.com.

If my style isn't your jam, another great place to find freelance editors is through the Editorial Freelancers Association. (I'm a member!) You can search their member directory for the exact type of editor you're looking for: https://www.the-efa.org/membership-di...

You can also check websites like Fiverr or Upwork for editors. You'll definitely pay less, but the quality of the work you receive won't be nearly as good as through the EFA.

I hope that helps answer your question, and good luck on your publishing journey! :)

Christine

message 3: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett (ldwriter2) | 53 comments Speaking of editing in general. It is a good idea and perhaps a very much needed one but $2,000 to $3,000 is a lot to have on hand for something like that. That is after paying for a cover, unless you learn to do it yourself, and other expenses.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Wright (captainmichaelwright) | 5 comments Lulu has contacted me about publishing a book that I have written. How can I do my due diligence about Lulu?

message 5: by Josh (new)

Josh K (jk61) | 10 comments Congrats on the MSS!

There is no replacement for a good editor. Costs are inconvenient, however.

Have you looked at AutoCrit or posting a chapter on WattPad?

There is also Grammerly and ProWritingAid. There seems to be some debate about the quality of these tools. Some writers really like them.

message 6: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Lulu has contacted me about publishing a book that I have written. How can I do my due diligence about Lulu?"

I didn't like them. The person I worked with started out with nothing costing me and ended with a 2300 charge for formatting and stuff. When I opted to go with Createspace and Ingram I was able to do everything without any charges.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 211 comments I absolutely agree with having multiple editors. The more eyes the better. I used three editors for my new book, Au79. All three are very competent individuals. Still, each missed something the other two didn't. I am doing a final run-through before I put up the eBook. So far, I have found two dropped words, and a couple of other issues that all three missed. What's scary is I have to wonder what's been missed by all four of us.

message 8: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
I couldn't agree with you more- Anita!!

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread