Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird) Go Set a Watchman question

SPOILER alert - question about premise of book
Laura Laura Mar 29, 2018 03:05PM
I get that this book was written before Mockingbird and that the editor asked Ms. Lee to expand the childhood stories from this book, and from that endeavor, a new book evolved to replace this one. (new book = Mockingbird)

But I'm puzzled over the point of this book. Am I missing something or was the premise of "Go Set a Watchman" that a father wanted his daughter to bump him off the pedestal she put him and proceeded to accomplish this by way of brutally shattering her image of him? If so, that seems flaky. And low on the part of the father. So that is why I think, I gotta be missing something here.

I enjoyed the flowery prose and flashbacks to childhood, especially when they played church as well as the falsie bra story. Hilarious!

It's a coming-of-age thing. As a child, your parents are heroes. Eventually (sometimes gradually, sometimes suddenly), you realize they're only people. Put that in the context of generation gap / changing culture in the South, and City values vs. Country values and you have a thick stew of 'issues' to deal with. I loved the story, but also like that it was 'softened' into Mockinbird.