The Help The Help question

Do you believe ‘The Help’ is educational?
Ife Ife Mar 29, 2018 03:02PM
After reading ‘The Help’ last summer, I found it very educational. I am curious as to whether others feel the same. While being a good read, this book really opened my eyes to slave history.

Wise Cat (last edited Apr 18, 2018 12:33PM ) Apr 18, 2018 12:32PM   0 votes
I just finished this a few weeks ago. I agree; I found it educational and eye-opening. I find it hard to believe that some maids still called their white bosses "Miss _____" like in "Miss Scarlett" from Gone With The Wind." I mean I kept thinking it was 1862, not 1962!

Being just a toddler while this went on (like Mae Mobley), I wasn't aware of this until we learned about it in school years later. But I wasn't told that even just a few years prior, I would not been allowed to attend school with my black friends.

I don't know where you are located but it is still fairly common in the Eastern and Southern US for both black and white people to refer to each other as 'Miss _____' and 'Mister ____' as signs of respect. My aunt lives in Baltimore and is referred to everyone in her friendship group as 'Miss Barbara'.

Hey Wise Cat. It’s really cool you found the book very educational, especially since it was around the time you were born. Despite not being around then, I still found this book insightful and interesting.

I also really liked the multi perspectives. I completely agree it’s hard to believe people called their white bosses “Miss _____.”😊