Divided We Fall (Divided We Fall, #1)
This topic is about Divided We Fall
Divided We Fall - Trent Reedy

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay | 13 comments Divided We Fall-Trent Reedy
Reviewed by Jay Lease

The book is called “Divided we fall” the first book of the series. The protagonist of the story is named Danny Wright. A senior from Freedom Lake High school, who has everything he could wish for friends, family, service for his country, and a girlfriend. Following the footsteps of his father, Danny has been enlisted to the National Guard to serve his country. Everything is going great as he lives the life of a normal high schooler. However, life changes when the governor calls him in for active duty, a violent protest has broken out in the capital of Boise, which seems to be a regular routine crowd-control, but turns into a violent protest, the tension is between the Federal Government and the State of Idaho. During the circumstances of the violent protest Danny made a mistake, a mistake that will change his life forever.
The thing that interest me in the book is when the protagonist, Danny is called in for crowd control which is The National Guard. There is one specific chapter in the book that paints the image of how dangerous a riot, or a protest can be. Especially when “the crowd” is trying to make a point, but is interrupted from law enforcement. Also, the book does a good job of showing how the protagonists actions have consequences, because the protagonists decided to act on the certain event it caused him to enter a state of guilt, regret, and anger, having a big effect on his family, and friends. Which leaves Danny questioning the loyalty of the National Guard, and the loyalty of the people around him. I really liked this book because of how well the author, Trent Reedy, gives detail of how a life can change in a matter of a second.

message 2: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 3 comments This book sounds great. To me this books seems like a challenge and i'm up for a challenge.

message 3: by Erika (last edited Apr 13, 2018 02:36PM) (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
This book sounds timely, what will all the news stories of cops making terrible mistakes in how they handle certain calls, especially when it seems they are hasher and more violent towards people of color. It's interesting that this story is from the perspective of the person who messes up, rather than the victim, as it shows there are two sides to every situation.

I'm curious -- does the author seem to have an agenda in writing this book? Does it seem particularly pro- or anti-military? The title seems like it could be a pro-military message, but I could be totally wrong about that.

message 4: by Jay (new)

Jay | 13 comments Oscar wrote: "This book sounds great. To me this books seems like a challenge and i'm up for a challenge."
If you like anything having to do with the military than it's a book for you. It also does challenge the reader to think about the consequences that can happen when you decide to act out of pure instinct.

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay | 13 comments Erika wrote: "This book sounds timely, what will all the news stories of cops making terrible mistakes in how they handle certain calls, especially when it seem they are hasher and more violent towards people of..."

The title Divided We Fall, has more to it. The actual quote is "United We Stand, Divided We Fall." The people in the story had a choice to be unified and in order, with both sides respecting each other, and opinions. But because both sides failed to listen to each other it was divided, that's what I feel the author was trying to convey to the reader that people fail to listen. Hence forth the title "Divided We Fall."