Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > Destiny's Conflict [Nov 23, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Thanksgiving

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Starting the Gallant in Secrets & Spells: 6 Fantasy Novels today and Destiny's conflict as soon as that is done.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Ok. I loved The Gallant.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I loved it too Sandra! It was so heartbreaking and yet so beautiful at the same time!!
Though I have to admit I kept my fingers crossed and kept wishing that (view spoiler)

And I loved it that the lady wasn't one of those beauties everyone raves about! One of those who make men loose their heads and think with their dicks instead of their brains! I loved it that she was gangly and raw boned! I loved it that she was someone lots of girls would be able to identify with. The smart, kind and good-hearted woman that no one even bothers to look twice at because she doesn't shine! No one sees behind the surface despite the fact that It's what's inside that counts!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I loved the Timeline with relevant Dates. It was a great help in making me get a clear picture of the events from the last book.

Chapter 1

Lysaer - I tried getting into his head but for the life of me I can't figure him out!! He is suffering, that's crystal clear. But it seems like for all the wrong reasons!!
(view spoiler)

Dakar's idea - I know I'm a little mean right now but I would have like to see that! (view spoiler)
Sorry for bringing my teeth and claws out for a moment there! :D

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Arithon - I felt so very sorry for him! The poor man (view spoiler)

I am not sure about the crystal. Was it (view spoiler)

Did you get that part Sandra?

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Sorry I've been lagging with this. :(
One of my boys has a very bad viral that just doesn't want to go away and kept us awake for the last 3 nights. So my head feels like stuffed wool and I'm not able to read anything other than the stuff that you just read without thinking.
Destiny's Conflict is not one of those so I'll get back to it tomorrow (*fingers crossed we get to sleep at least for some time tonight*).

On the plus side, I've read Reins of Destiny and loved it too. I wish it would have been just a little bit longer though and (view spoiler)

It's another 5 star read for me but I'll write that review when my head feels a little bit more normal. Till then I'll indulge myself in That Way Lies Camelot for a while.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "I loved the Timeline with relevant Dates. It was a great help in making me get a clear picture of the events from the last book.

Chapter 1

Lysaer - I tried getting into his head but for the life ..."

Lol, I do not disagree at all!

message 9: by Sandra (last edited Dec 02, 2018 11:12PM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Arithon - I felt so very sorry for him! The poor man [spoilers removed]

I am not sure about the crystal. Was it [spoilers removed]

Did you get that part Sandra?"

The Prime did something to Elaira’s crystal, the dirty puta! But just a sliver of it.

And sometimes one just needs a little break from the intensity of it all, so I do not blame you for taking a break. I listened to this one on audio and haven’t started relistening yet and I will have to as I only listened to it once, not multiple times as I have all the others.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments "the dirty puta!" LOL - I'm with you on that!!!

And thank you for clarifying that part about the crystal.

Did you read That Way Lies Camelot? I'm going through it one story each evening and it's fabulous!

btw - I'm reading the second chapter now. :) And how is the audio?

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Is it okay if I just dump my comments into the respective threads as I catch up? Or should I gather them somewhere?

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Dump them in the threads lovely. :D
I'll join you there to chat with you as you read. And I'm sure Sandra will too.

message 13: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Great, thank you. I’ve had the move, had to decorate and unpack on my own because my other half is job hunting while being buried in overtime, a friend visited and now my mum is here for a week, so my attention span for Wurts did not exist and all my attempts to catch up failed so far. But December is my reading month so... I can’t wait to dive back in. I missed these discussions.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Glad you finally got settled. :)
These books are getting better and better as you keep going with the series. There were times when I really couldn't set them down. But I too found that they require attention and a clear head.
I'm looking forward to chatting about them with you. :)

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Chapter 2 - I did NOT see that coming!!
(view spoiler)

The story is gripping already!!

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Dec 03, 2018 08:13PM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Yes it is quite gripping! And the audio is lovely! Colin Mace is a great narrator.

@Olivia - Where are you in the book? Welcome back!

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Chapter 3 - and I am so angry now! 'Cause that's just bullshit!!

I want to shake Arithon a bit and (view spoiler)
I appologize. I'm ranting. So I'll try to zip it now!🤐🤐

Lysaer - now he finally decided to get his head out of the bucket and do something! And my instant question was (view spoiler)

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments I felt the same way, frustrated by Arithon’s compulsive need to help everyone, and bewildered by Lysaer’s late decision to fight that awful religion he started!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I've been a little slow at this in the last 2 days. Christmas time and buying presents! Christmas sales and putting up the tree. And That Way Lies Camelot.. did you read it Sandra? It's fabulous!

I'll read a little more tomorrow and a lot more starting with Monday. :)

And I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one feeling that way about the 2 brothers. :D

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "I've been a little slow at this in the last 2 days. Christmas time and buying presents! Christmas sales and putting up the tree. And That Way Lies Camelot.. did you read it Sandra? It's fabulous!

..."

I read a few stories from That Way... but it was a long time ago. Not remembering it right now.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments It's great Sandra. You should give it another try. :)

I've had guests from abroad these last few days and had very less time to read during the day. They're leaving tomorrow though so I should be back on track even with Destiny's Conflict. I didn't get to write all the reviews for the short stories I read either.

We're also having a BR for the Cycle of Fire starting in Jan. Would you like to join?

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Sure, if I can find my book which is in a box in the garage since I moved in with my daughter last July! For complicated reasons my granddaughter was living with me and she had a baby also in July. My son-in-law is building her an apartment in their basement and until that is finished my things are still in storage. I have enough to live comfortably but many things I want are still packed. I read it long ago but don’t have a very clear memory of it.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments I was thinking of many of the beautiful and intense scenes from this series that I still hold images of in my mind. There are several from “Curse” but the most intense was the ending when he “settled” the souls of the dead with music 🎼- awesome.

In “Ships” it was the healing scene between Arithon and Elaira.
Then in Vastmark when Dakar took the arrow meant for Arithon - I burst into tears! Very moving after all of his attempts to sabotage and undermine him!

I think it was in Fugitive Prince when Asindar communicated with and talked to the trees! Magical! From there I get muddled about which scene from which book, but his escape from Lysaer, the death of Jieret, the chase through mountains and snow, his heroic defense by Braggen and finally arriving at Davien’s maze.

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments And then there was the chilling scene of the necromancer’s in Traitor’s Knot. And Stormed Fortress had so much intensity and drama that nothing stands out, really, except for the death of Feylind 😢. It all makes a magnificent journey. And a truly epic and great read!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I really hope you find the book Sandra because I love doing BRs with you!! 😘😘

Those scenes you mentioned, I loved them too. And there were other ones also that I'd love to add to the list.
The massacre at the end of Curse had me gutted and I was an emotional wreck by the time Arithon started to sing for those souls. I cried at that time also.

I laughed through tears when Dakar twarted those soldiers making their desires turn towards lust instead of killing. That was the first time I ended up wondering if there's something wrong with me for laughing during a massacre.

The time when Arithon and Dakar struggled to save the little girl, the scene with Dakar going undercover to save those clan children destined to be sold as slaves and so many others, all brought tears to my eyes.

Then there was Fairy Toes! That was THE funniest scene I have ever read involving a horse or a prophet. I was laughing so hard when I read that! And that wasn't the only time. :)

I'll make a list after finishing this book. A list of my favourite moments from the entire series. Would you like to talk more about them with me at that time?

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I finally managed to get some daytime reading time today and reached till somewhere in the middle of chapter 6. And now I'm so so PISSED!! I am spitting mad because I had to put my book down!!

There is work to be done and dinner to cook and homework with the kids! And I can't read anymore right now!!!

The thing is, my last week has been crazy with a sudden trip and then the kids falling badly ill, followed by a visit from close friends so my reading time has been cut down. I usually read both during the daytime for some hours and at night after the kids go to bed. During the day it's physical books and at night ebooks. So with my crazy week I only got time to read at night, which made me miss this beautiful hardcover. Until today that is when I finally managed to pick it back up. And now I don't want to set it down again. It's brilliant!! I'll try not to read from it again though while cooking the dinner. Not in a mood for take out today. :D

So I'll try and finish my chores faster, finish chapter 6 and then come back here to post about it.

message 27: by Sandra (last edited Dec 13, 2018 06:33AM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "I really hope you find the book Sandra because I love doing BRs with you!! 😘😘

Those scenes you mentioned, I loved them too. And there were other ones also that I'd love to add to the list.
The mas..."

I’d love to discuss them with you! I also laughed at the ridiculous scenes created by Dakar and no, there’s nothing wrong with you for laughing! It was quite funny!

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments It's midnight over here and I just finished with my chores so I'm going to ask you to forgive my bluntness and ignore the bad English cause I'm just gonna say it straight out. :D

Chapter 4 - as reactions go, it went somewhat like this:
1st - Why the f**k didn't you do that sooner you dumb ass?! (view spoiler)

2nd - Oh, shit!! I didn't see that coming!! He took that arrow (view spoiler)

3rd - Oh dear?! (view spoiler)

Dakar - I don't get the man. Really, I don't. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Chapter 5 - the way those people live is horrible! Their traditions are humiliating and demeaning! (view spoiler)

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Chapter 6 I LOVED THE LIBRARY! That's the first thing I need to tell. (view spoiler)

And then, at the end of the chapter: What the fuck!? (view spoiler)

message 31: by Sandra (last edited Dec 13, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Lol, tell us how you feel, Laura! I love your reactions. I have to listen to those chapters!

I checked and I actually have the Cycle of Fire in audio! So I’ll be able to join discussion.

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments In 4 I sorrowed for the clan of Maneal’s near destruction. And one does wonder why Lysaer waited 200 years to try and stop his religion. I was totally blown away by what happened to him! Who would’ve guessed you’d be so vindictive? Lol.

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Oh! I know that! And I was pissed because Dakar (view spoiler)

And about Lysaer, I'm not vindictive, I just don't care for him a lot right now so his suffering doesn't really touch me. Daliana's does though. That woman will go through hell to stay by his side and I admire her loyalty.
He allowed thousands of people to be killed by simply not interfering. He ordered thousands of people to be killed ruthlessly in the name of justice. Well, he's getting justice now. And I do hope he can get past that arrogance and pride and (view spoiler)
Ok! I admit! I am perhaps a teensy bit vindictive in this case, though I'm not doing a happy dance for it. The boyo had it coming!

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I've looked up the paragraph in question regarding Dakar and it was in chapter 4. I was a bit muddled in the night and got the numbers mixed up. Sorry about that. :(

Here it goes:
(view spoiler)

What do you think about my musings? Did I get it right? What Dakar was implying that is?

message 35: by Sandra (last edited Dec 13, 2018 08:10PM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Well yes, to an extent. I think Dakar’s a coward and will color things to make himself look good, but in fact I know the F7 would like Arithon to have an heir. I don’t believe they would manipulate that to happen. I think they’re kind of afraid of those Neanderthals in that awful culture. And I think they’re dithering, not sure what to do.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I am also sure they would love an heir but I don't think they would stoop so low as to manipulate and delay Elaira for that purpose only. The way Dakar suggested that clearly made me think that he is looking for scapegoats to justify his cowardice.

And now that you said it, there is that hint of fear in Sethvir's attitude. I wonder what those Neanderthals can really do? Their power comes (view spoiler)

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "I am also sure they would love an heir but I don't think they would stoop so low as to manipulate and delay Elaira for that purpose only. The way Dakar suggested that clearly made me think that he ..."

Yes, me too. I know their settlement is on a former Ath’s hostel and that has something to do with it, perhaps blocked or distorted energy of some kind?

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments As far as I understood, the Adepts closed off that settlement and retreated from there right? So there must be something very wrong with that energy there.

I've been X-mas shopping yesterday and told my guests farewell so I'm free to get back to the book today after the chores are done. I'll be back with comments little later today.

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Yes, there is something wrong, and Sethvir explains it - somewhat - later. I’ve moved on and am not really sure where I am as the audio book labels every break as a ‘chapter’ but I think I’m around Chapter Seven. It’s getting wilder and wilder! Waiting for you to catch up!

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I finished Chapter 7 just now and will try to read up to 11 or 12 tomorrow. I'd like to finish it by Friday.
You are right. It is getting wilder and wilder.
I'll post my thoughts on the next chapters tomorrow.

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Well the next chapters are going to blow you away!

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Sorry I've been absent from here Sandra. :(
I got my hands on this book again yesterday and wasn't able to set it down till I reached the end. It was spellbinding and kept me at the edge of my seat biting my nails till the very last page.
And that end!! Good God! That end broke my heart!!
(view spoiler)
I'm barely waiting for the next book to see how it all ends!!

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Lysaer - (view spoiler)

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments The Biedar (view spoiler)

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Lirenda (view spoiler)

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Lysaer - He's starting to realise what he did and thanks to Dace he's going to try to act and repair some of it. Finally!! More than 200 years late but finally!
And he's starting to grovel and repe..."

YES!! ✊

message 47: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Yes, it was very gratifying what happened to Morriel! I don’t quite see Lirenda having that power. Arithon will surely undo her like he has done in the past. (view spoiler)