Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
This topic is about Initiate's Trial
Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > Initiate's Trial [Oct 23, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Halloween

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Is anyone reading this with me?

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Yes! Old dependable is here!

message 4: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Sigh...of course, but late. Okay, so we're moving this weekend. Everything is in boxes, and I'm trying to get back on track and catch up with you as soon from next Monday on. Carry on, and I'll just type my updates into the old threads until I reach this one.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Yeay Sandra!! I'll start it on Friday then. :)

And don't worry about being late Olivia - I'm here to chat about it with you anytime. :)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Welcome back Olivia!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments I'm starting this tonight. :)

message 8: by Laura (last edited Nov 06, 2018 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments So

And from the very first line I was like Whoa!!!!
Because

(view spoiler)

This is spellbinding and un-put-down-able from the very first line! I'm hooked!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments OMG!! I'm laughing so hard right now because of that crazed hen at the beginning of chapter 2. 🤣😂🤣
That whole chase the chicken scene was hilarious!!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 2
Janny's books are the only ones that make me laugh one minute and then cry the next. Over and over again. They are an emotional rollercoaster from beginning to end.

After that good laughter I had with the crazed hen again so much of sadness.
(view spoiler)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Yes. (view spoiler)

I also love the little details and gestures the characters make. The way they look at each other or touch each other feels so real. And I find myself feeling so much for them because of those small things.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 3 was brutal!

I know it's not (view spoiler)

I wonder (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 4 - now I can see Dakar's behaviour at the end of last book in a completely different light. So his (view spoiler)
I am not sure I got it right but it sure seemed that way to me. And now he is (view spoiler)
Hand on heart, Dakar is one of the most frustrating characters I have ever encountered. He may just win first price in my top 3.

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments I’m not sure about Dakar. I think it’s spelled out in more detail later on.

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments WHERE IS EVERYONE?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments It looks like it's just me and you Sandra. :(

Olivia said she will be late and I don't know about Choko and Daniel.

I didn't get much time to read these days. Today was one of the worse reading time ever - I've had time for only 2 chapters of Red Country. And that is only 30 pages in total!! (*sigh* - and tomorrow will probably be the same)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments There problem with this book is that IT'S WAY TO GOOD to set it down even if it's just to post a comment on GR about it.

I finally got time to read today so of course I picked it up again. And after I started reading I kept thinking I should post my comments on it here and then I was telling myself "just after I finish this chapter" or "just after a few more pages because I really need to know what comes next" or "in a minute or two"....

The problem is that if I log onto GR to write a comment about it I have to stop reading. And I DON'T WANT TO STOP READING!!!
Because this is awesome and fabulous and spellbinding and.... you get what I mean!

I am close to the end of chapter 7 and there is so much I want to tell. But bear with me Sandra please because.... I'll just read one more chapter and then be back with the comments.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 5

The cruel treatment (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 6

Right now I wanna trash Tarens. (view spoiler)

So many questions and I can barely wait to find out the answer.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 7

Asandir and the baby (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 8 - Now this is where I burned the dinner yesterday because I couldn't stop reading even while cooking.
I scoffed at another review I read that had the mention of burned food while reading because "Yeah! Like that's gonna happen!". And here I was, ordering pizza because I really did it!
Shit! I burned the dinner cause I couldn't stop reading!

The first part with (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 9

Why does Arithon (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 10

Now there's a pickle. I don't know if I want to (view spoiler)

message 25: by Laura (last edited Nov 20, 2018 02:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Same Chapter 10

Why didn't I see that coming?! (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 11

For a while there I really thought Arithon (view spoiler)

Again I am not sure I got it right. (view spoiler)

I loved the way Arithon (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 12

Did Asandir leave (view spoiler)

And I can safely say I'd wring that old hag's neck without even blinking! (view spoiler)

My dear Morriel...

Another piece that falls into place in the puzzle. (view spoiler)

Lysaer - I hate it that (view spoiler)

Lysaer: - "Oh! I am so hurt!!! Everybody left me!!! Everybody betrayed me!! I'm in so much pain and no one truly cares for me!!!"

Me: - "You...
Get off of your high horse and see what you did in the first place!!"

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 13

Who let in the skirt?! HaHa!! It figures that the little guy (view spoiler)

I hate it that Lysaer (view spoiler)

And I feel so sorry for Gestry! So young and so much responsibility! The fate of so many people on his shoulders. And that too he already knows (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Chapter 14

I was wondering how everything will come together because right now things are still looking pretty bleak.

It was brilliant. The way those small little threads connected and everyone found themselves in the right place at the right time. I loved it that it seemed so natural. It felt right!

(view spoiler)

But now I'm wondering what will come next because of that end. I'm hoping the next volume will (view spoiler)

I almost forgot to mention - that was really great of Luhaine (view spoiler)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 5

The cruel treatment dealt Arithon by those soldiers made me sick. I felt like crying for him. And then Tarens... He is saved by Arithon and in return does what? He ties him up to throw h..."

The key is in that scene in SF where they bring Arithon back and he has sex with Glendien/Elaira - they swear to the Kingdom of Rathain which opens Arithon to risk from the Koriani. I guess I can say that in this thread without spoiler tags. To my mind that was a mistake under stress but Dakar feels guilty for it, but it was the clansman who betrayed him.

message 31: by Sandra (last edited Nov 21, 2018 11:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 11

For a while there I really thought Arithon had given up. Regardless of what Tarens said, Arithon seemed so lost! I thought he gave up!!
And that mob! Oh God! They would have rioted if d..."

Laura wrote: "Same Chapter 10

Why didn't I see that coming?! That dagger that kept changing hands and protected Lysaer for some time is actually meant for the Prime? Or perhaps for the Great Waystone? A whole l..."

Arithon is the most persecuted hero I’ve come across in a long time. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Frances Crawford of Lymond in The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett. A fabulous series.

Oh and your guess is as good as mine about what the dragon saved and what happened to Athera. It boggles my mind. And if you can remember all your questions through this book and the next more power to you.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments I'm gonna have to re-read that part to find out. I missed it. Again!!

Regarding our doubts about Davien's relationship with the drake, Janny just told me it is explained in Black Bargain. So I'm reading that today.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Are you joining me for the last book? I'd like to start it in 2 or 3 days time, as soon as I close off a few of my open BRs. I'm very very late at those and would like to finish them first.

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 12

Did Asandir leave [spoilers removed]

And I can safely say I'd wring that old hag's neck without even blinking! She's purposefully killing those initiates just so that she can clean the..."

Morriel is so twisted with hate and envy I don’t think she even thinks of the consequences of what she does. And I think Lysaer suffers more than we are immediately aware of.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments I'm sure Lysaer suffers in his own way but I somehow can't find it in me to lend a shoulder to cry on when his attitude towards Arithon and Talith (despite being dead) is still so vengeful and full of hatred.

Logically, I know why the resentment is there. His mother left him but she didn't leave Arithon. According to Lysaer, his mother preferred his bastard brother and left him behind, fact that is bound to twist any child's mind. Hatred and resentment, trust issues in the future, all can be attributed to that betrayal.
Top it with the fact that Lysaer grew up with a power hungry ruthless father who hammered into the child's head that princes should be proud and that they are above everyone else - we get a deadly combination of resentment and pride that won't let the grown man acknowledge his own faults. And I find that despicable in a person.
He needs to change and repent. He needs to stop always attributing blame to others and perhaps then I'm going to feel bad for him.

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments I wish there was a ‘like’ button! I agree. I just meant that I recall her showing us his remorse more obviously later on.

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Oh, and yes! I’ll join you for the last book! This is fun.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Sandra wrote: "Oh, and yes! I’ll join you for the last book! This is fun."

Yeay!!! I'm reading The Gallant now and will start Destiny's Conflict tomorrow. Thread is up and running. :D