SQHS YLL discussion

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
Dante and Aristotle Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AnaRose (new)

AnaRose Haley | 9 comments Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
reviewed by AnaRose Haley
This book accounts the events of the summer of 1987 and 1989 for two teenagers Dante and Ari. Dante is well read and very smart and has lots of confidence in himself but Ari is the complete opposite. Ari is alone with his thoughts of his older brother who the family pretends doesn't exist most of the time but after he befriends Dante that changes. Dante teaches Ari a lot of things from how to swim and big things like how to open up and share his real feelings . The boys have a unique friendship that will save them both, literally and figuratively.
Overall, I liked the book but the end frustrated me. The pacing through the book was inconsistent and it would skip over large parts in time and then drag out short moments. The ending felt rushed and a little bit forced. I appreciated that the author included parts about the boys struggling with cultural identity, it felt like the way they handled it was natural and it felt like any teenager growing up. I could relate to these characters and I think that books like these are important because they have characters that are part of multiple minority groups, being Mexican and queer.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
As you know, I've been wanting to read this one! Your review is not as enthusiastic as some readers have been about this book, though, which makes me a little more hesitant. I wonder if some of the awards it was given were more for content than style . . . ?

(Fortunately, I have a short memory, so I'll probably forget your criticism about the ending by the time I pick up this book -- which means I won't be reading anticipating a disappointing ending, which could put a damper on my reading experience!)

message 3: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 9 comments Anarose wrote: "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
reviewed by AnaRose Haley
This book accounts the events of the summer of 1987 and 1989 for two teenagers Dante and..."
I enjoy reading books about characters my age because I like relating to them. it sounded like you did so hopefully ill have some luck there. you're review isn't that enthusiastic and on top of that, books with rushed or bad endings leave you dissatisfied. so I'm not sure if I will be reading this book or not but if I see it I might give it a chance.

message 4: by Mikey (new)

Mikey | 12 comments this book is not my kinda of style of book, but it reminds me of the book freak the mighty. it is about a a really smart disable boy that helps this other dude that everyone calls freak because hes so big. but this boy helps him act normal and be like any other kid. he even helps him in school. so i might give this book a try because i really liked Freak the Mighty!