SQHS YLL discussion

Endangered Animals: A Reference Guide to Conflicting Issues
This topic is about Endangered Animals
Endangered Species

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alaska (Jay) (last edited Apr 13, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Alaska (Jay) Watson | 5 comments The book Endangered species talks about many varied species from all over the world. All the species have one thing in common: they are endangered. Over the years people have almost eradicated a plethora of animals from this earth as well as some that have already gone extinct. For example, the Dodo bird went extinct in the 1600s due to passing sailors that liked them as a good and easy meal. In addition to this, the pigs and other livestock destroyed Dodo eggs and habitat as well as ate all their food. This book gives examples of creatures that might have the same fate as the Dodo bird if we do nothing to stop it. For example, the black footed ferret had a species population of under 20 individuals. Then intensive breeding efforts were developed, now there are over 200 individual ferrets in the wild.

Endangered Species is a very interesting book. I think this book is very scientific in the way it introduces the creatures. However, it can be a little bit boring after a little while. The book is formatted for scientists which makes it tricky to read for the general population. I can understand this book easier than most. I am interested in this topic, although it can be boring after reading for a little while. For example, the American Burying Beetle there was a lot “Fun Facts” that are worth remembering except they went through them too fast and some of the facts where useless information. For instance, the ideal carcass size for laying eggs is 100-250 grams. Some pictures would also go a long way to break up the text a little and add some color to the book. I found that the scientific names and some terms were interesting. The pace of this book is too fast for most book readers. However, if you take your time and look back at things you do not understand, it’s easy to figure out. I would recommend this book for people who have an interest in animals or scientists who have a degree in zoology. It is not for your average reader; it is more for people with an interest zoological science or a degree in zoology, marine biology, biology or environmental sciences.

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
It's really cool that you are reading something educational! I wish everyone would take the time to learn more about all the fragile yet incredibly cool animals that we're supposed to be sharing this planet with. Yet, since most won't, it sounds like the content format would make a great TV or Youtube series or perhaps even an Instagram page/feed to help educate all these (definitely not endangered) humans.

message 3: by Alaska (Jay) (new)

Alaska (Jay) Watson | 5 comments Erika wrote: "It's really cool that you are reading something educational! I wish everyone would take the time to learn more about all the fragile yet incredibly cool animals that we're supposed to be sharing th..."

Thanks for the positive feed back, and yes there is many YouTube channels about animals, the most popular is Brave Wilderness https://www.youtube.com/user/Breaking... anther one is Catching Creation https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbly... .

message 4: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix Swendt | 5 comments This book really seems to interest me from what you have told me. I never knew that scientists go through intensive breeding efforts just to repopulate a specific animal race.

message 5: by Alaska (Jay) (new)

Alaska (Jay) Watson | 5 comments This is a really good read as long as you don't read for more than 20 minutes at a time. That's when it becomes to much to handle, gets boring and makes your brain hurt.

message 6: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah | 11 comments jay i didn't know the footed ferret had a species population of under 20 individuals