Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Peril's Gate (Wars of Light and Shadow, #6)
This topic is about Peril's Gate
Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > Peril's Gate [July 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 289 (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Holla

Paige L. Christie (paigelchristie) | 3 comments A favorite!

Daniel | 1536 comments BR in three days...

message 4: by Laura (last edited Jul 13, 2018 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments As the cover symbols have become to many I'm thinking to make a separate thread for that and post all the photos and interpretations over there, rather than here. That way we won't spoil stuff for people from future BRs who may want to take a look at our chat.

We could post only the covers for this book here and talk about it's image then I'll copy everything on to the symbol's thread at the end of this BR. Do you guys also think that would be better?

Daniel | 1536 comments Good point about spoilers, but don’t you think most of the big spoilers happen in the Q & A s? In any event looking forward to getting into Peril’s Gate!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Very true Daniel.

But as it is those comments with the cover pics are getting pretty big and I will have to add extras for each book - with the limit of characters it may not be possible. This arc alone has 5 books right, and for each book we may have around 3 pics with explanations under.

I found it a bit difficult to edit and add extra info under the pics last time as I literally had to count the no. of pics to see under each one I need to write smth. It would be a lot easier for me if I could use one comment for one book. Editing will become a lot simpler. And we could always go straight to that thread also if we want to chat about symbols and covers in particular.

Daniel | 1536 comments Whatever is best/easiest for you Laura-since you are the one doing all the work!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Do you think a separate thread will work or should I just take 7 consecutive comments in this thread? I'm not sure which would be best.

Daniel | 1536 comments Since the objective is to analyze the cover art for clues, I would guess a separate thread would make the most sense. The last question you asked Janny about Morriel and Arithon was pretty interesting. I never would have even considered that issue. Sigh.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I do get them horribly wrong at times Daniel. I did put my foot in my mouth in several places especially with To Ride Hell's Chasm, while jumping to comparisons and analysis so now I'm trying to be more careful and just plainly ask. I'm grateful Janny is still answering my questions cause I actually wanted to clobber myself with the book at one time for being so daft. (*sigh*)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments With regard to the talk we had about letting more people know how great this series is, I searched around and inquired and this is what we should do:

- update our reading progress with quotes from the text. The more updates the better

- give likes on updates of that kind and comment on them

- write reviews. Even if only a single sentence

- check out other reviews, give likes and COMMENT on them

The more likes and more comments the more the word spreads.

Daniel | 1536 comments If it makes you feel any better, Janny called me simpleminded after one of my posts on the Q&A. It was a very fair comment due to the way I wrote my remarks.!

Daniel | 1536 comments Okay will make sure to spread the word

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Well, she was very graceful and didn't call me anything but I made up for it and attributed myself a whole load of justly deserved epithets.

And I missed that part involving you. In a small petty way it does make me feel better that I'm not the only one who blunders. :D (sorry 😁)

Daniel | 1536 comments LOL...glad to be of service Milady 😂

message 16: by Laura (last edited Jul 13, 2018 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Why thank you My Lord! (*curtsies extremely ladylike*) 😉

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I’ll start this tomorrow and will read two chapters a day again.

Daniel | 1536 comments Tis my goal as well.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments here are the covers for Peril's Gate

I was not able to find the second photo in bigger format that includes the back cover. This is the hardcover I own and the image continues onto the back side of the book with a landscape.

We can try to talk about these on this thread and I'll keep adding the info to the Cover Art Thread which is now up and running. :)

message 20: by Olivia (last edited Jul 16, 2018 04:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments The sword is in the mid position between the two, so I'm assuming they're for now in some sort of stalemate. And man that's a lot of swords surrounding Arithon in the last image. Do we know what the symbol means next to him?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments No. I don't think so. Maybe another Paravian rune. And yeah! Now that you mention it, there are a lot of weapons there. I didn't even notice them till now.
Perhaps the symbol will come up in the book and we'll have it explained while we are reading.

I'll add the stalemate and we also have the Raven. The landscape probably represents a chapter of the book so we can leave that for later.

Regarding symbols, I have left the covers of Grand Conspiracy with almost nothing written on them and we have already finished that book. Could you please take a look at that also? I don't know what else to write about those.

Daniel and Sandra - help please?!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I’m in general a bit bad when it comes to symbols and stuffs. Are those snakes that are entwined betweeen the two lions?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Olivia wrote: "I’m in general a bit bad when it comes to symbols and stuffs. Are those snakes that are entwined betweeen the two lions?"

I'm really not sure.

Daniel | 1536 comments Laura wrote: "No. I don't think so. Maybe another Paravian rune. And yeah! Now that you mention it, there are a lot of weapons there. I didn't even notice them till now.
Perhaps the symbol will come up in the b..."

It appears to be two lions with snake tails that are in opposition and equilibrium. Neither has any dominance over the other. Also, other than SoM this is the only book with no sword on the cover. Perhaps signifying no direct conflict between Arithon and Lysaer?

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Daniel wrote: "Laura wrote: "No. I don't think so. Maybe another Paravian rune. And yeah! Now that you mention it, there are a lot of weapons there. I didn't even notice them till now.
Perhaps the symbol will co..."

Oh, I love this. There is actually no conflict between the two directly, they do not come face to face, so no sword! And yes the two lions with, what looks like snakes to me, are in equilibrium, agreed.

Daniel | 1536 comments By using the same logic, we are back to a sword in Perils Gate but it is straight up and down. So direct conflict in this book but no winner? Stalemate? I guess RAFO.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Perhaps we should talk about Peril's Gate cover only after finishing it. Janny mentioned on the Q&A that it is heavy on the symbolism in the last half of the book.

But maybe we could finalise Grand Conspiracy. I love your ideas by the way and yes I also agree with no conflict no sword.

But those snakes - don't they seem to be entwined with the lions? The lions seem to have normal tails. And the colours of the snakes are also opposite to that of the lion around which they are wrapped up.

Daniel | 1536 comments @ Laura, I took it to mean the lions and snakes were in direct opposition but in a stalemated position. At first I thought the lions and snakes were one entity, but now that you pointed it out, they could indeed be separate.

On a side note chapter one (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I just checked Janny's explanation regarding the lions - the mayor of Jaelot.
Damn! I completely missed that. How about you guys?

And then the ghost is a woman - not Davien. And I'm not sure if she doesn't have horns.

And I went completely off track with the third cover for Grand Conspiracy. (*sigh*)

Well, at least we know where to look now.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments @Daniel - I think you are right with one entity.

Daniel | 1536 comments @Laura-I am reasonably certain nobody gets much right on their first read. Heck without Janny’s input we would all still be somewhat clueless, and rightfully so. The information overload makes it impossible to keep everything straight unless you have perfect recall or a photographic memory. All of which means the second time through will be that much more enjoyable.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Very true Daniel. :)
I'm gonna call it a day today and start reading this in the morning.
The last couple of days have been a bit crazy for me and tiredness is starting to show.

I just asked Janny on the Q&A thread if the ghost has horns or a sort of crazy hair-do on my cover?! Good God! I'm making blunder after blunder so I'm just gonna zip it and go to bed now.
Looking forward to this lovely book tomorrow.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Chapter Set 1. It’s all a bit much right now and many characters are not in a good place.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I didn't get to start yet. Just finished my review for Fugitive Prince which took a bit of time cause I was looking for so many GIFs. :D

So I'll start in a few hours.

message 35: by Daniel (last edited Jul 17, 2018 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel | 1536 comments Laura wrote: "I didn't get to start yet. Just finished my review for Fugitive Prince which took a bit of time cause I was looking for so many GIFs. :D

So I'll start in a few hours."

I am still in shock about how much effort you put into your review!

Speaking of shock chapter 2 (view spoiler)
The emotional overload is here again.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Just finished chapter 1 and am slowly chanting: Don't bang your head on the desk! Don't bang your head on the desk!'

Why would I wanna do that? Oh. No reason at all! Except maybe because:

(view spoiler)

So no biggie!
But on second thought, banging my head on the desk seems like a pretty good idea right now. (*sigh*)

Daniel | 1536 comments Chapter one (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments @Daniel - I liked that part too. Arithon was teaching that young greenhorn a good lesson. :)
And a sword fight does seem to be the preffered means to winn a man over. But I agree with that because it would deffinitely be the preffered method of men who have nothing in common with sorcery. One warrior's value does tend to be judged according to his mastery of the sword. And I do mean everywhere, even during our own history.

Daniel | 1536 comments Yes trial by combat has been around for thousands? of years. As far as the emotional angst goes, everyone get ready to scream.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments @Daniel - That bad huh!
I'm in the middle of chapter set 2 and will open your spoiler when I finish it.

Do any of you remember exactly what the compact entails and what happens if it breaks?

Daniel | 1536 comments Pretty sure it means the F7 has to put the needs of Athera ahead of anything else. If humans do the wrong thing the Fellowship would have to exterminate all humans like rats!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments The understanding between the Paravians and Athera? That is how I also think of it but I don't remember if we had more details about it somewhere. How it was made and what exactly happens if it breaks.
What Moriel did was catastrophic and almost put the planet out of alignment so to say. But did she almost break the connection of the F7 with the planet? Do the F7 draw the power from the planet? Or from the Paravians? Or from both as they seem interdependent?

I am not really sure about any of these.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Laura wrote: "The understanding between the Paravians and Athera? That is how I also think of it but I don't remember if we had more details about it somewhere. How it was made and what exactly happens if it bre..."

I'm not sure we're supposed to understand that quite yet, because I'm hazy on it all as well. I will be curious upon a re-read what I'll spot that I've missed the first time around. I will read Chapter Set 2 tonight.

message 44: by Daniel (last edited Jul 18, 2018 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel | 1536 comments ache with shared sorrow. A mage of Asandir’s strength and stature should celebrate his existence wrapped in a mantle of pure light. His raiment of spirit was the limitless power of creation, maintained into flawless balance. The axis of his being should shine as a beacon, his shimmering vitality stitched like tamed lightning through the tapestry of sinew beneath. For a Fellowship Sorcerer, self-renewal became reflex. The infinite whole sustained his existence, channeled and tuned to harmonic alignment that flowed with each breath and surged to the rhythm of each heartbeat.
Quote from Fugitive Prince.
So I would say the F7 get their energy directly from the planet.

Daniel | 1536 comments As far as the compact goes, I believe originally the Paravians made the compact with the F7 to put the needs of the planet first because the F7 and the refuge humans came from destroyed worlds.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments About the compact - thank you for that paragraph Daniel :) - deffinitely planet. And next to what you mentioned, I get the feeling it means quite a bit more than that. But not sure exactly what and as Olivia said - maybe the reveal will come later. Either that or we all missed the explanation in previous books.

Regarding Chapter 2 - I agree with your oppinion Daniel regarding the hint at (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments Aren’t all men stubborn fools?? 😂😂

message 48: by Daniel (last edited Jul 18, 2018 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel | 1536 comments Quote from Grand Conspiracy...
‘The Fellowship of Seven were drawn here, long past, by the dreams of the dragons that no mind in creation can deny. They were charged and tied by a ritual magic wrought from drake’s blood to ensure Paravian survival. That oath taking gifted them their knowledge of longevity. Record among the clans says their lives stay the course of a service that could last to the ending of time, if need be.’ ‘The drakes claimed us through the flaw of our own violence, and by the stain of slaughter already on our hands,’ Asandir qualified. ‘We were called as a weapon to destroy the drake spawn that could not be weaned from unconscionable killing. Only when Paravian survival is assured will our lives be set free once again.’

Not sure if this helps.

Chapter two (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Share the highlights Daniel. Wanna see if they are the same as mine. :)

Daniel | 1536 comments (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6