Will Grayson, Will Grayson
This topic is about Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 12 comments Will Grayson, Will Grayson—John Green and David Levithan
Review by Dylan Wong

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a story of two different teenage boys with the same name. Aside from sharing the same name, they both live quite different lives. One Will struggles with his depression and homosexuality. He finds it irritatingly difficult to express his emotions and display affection towards his loved-ones. The other Will attempts to gain the courage to truly illustrate his thoughts and emotions towards certain people that are close to him. Eventually, their separate lives collide at a rather unusual location in Chicago. This collision sparks an introduction to whole new relationships and insights. This book reveals the realistic struggles of modern teenagers in an in-depth and humorous style.

This book has proved to be one of my favorites. I was surprised at the accuracy of Green’s and Levithan’s accuracy at describing modern teenage boys’ thoughts and behaviors. They used a clever style of sarcastic humor that would make you laugh. I found the character development to be impeccable, as two gloomy, depressed teenage boys were able to transform personalities and express emotions that they have not experienced. I initially expected this book to have typical, young adult literature, but these two authors created a pleasantly mature book that allowed me to process new insights. My favorite part of the book was the ending. It wasn’t a cheesy ending, but a realistic one that did not leave me unsatisfied. To truly understand its ending, you would have to read the entire book, and acknowledge the tiniest of details.

message 2: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn Hawkinson | 12 comments Great review!! I loved the vocabulary you used to describe this book, and how you seemed to capture the characters without giving too much away. I'm personnaly more of a Action or dystopian reader, but I've always loved John Greene's work. Do you typically read books like this (realistic-fiction)? Or is this a newer genre?

Great Job :p

message 3: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 12 comments Jadyn wrote: "Great review!! I loved the vocabulary you used to describe this book, and how you seemed to capture the characters without giving too much away. I'm personnaly more of a Action or dystopian reader,..."

Thanks! I typically don't read much realistic-fiction because I don't find the genre to be very interesting. Although, Green and Levithan proved through this book that realistic-fiction can be extremely exciting to read.

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
Strong review! I like your phrasing, especially "irritatingly difficult."

Your description of the two Wills sound rather similar. How are they different?

Did each author stick to a single character? I wonder if they wrote chapters back and forth, surprising each other and then reacting to each chapter in the next or if they planned out the whole book ahead of time and then wrote their parts? Either way, it's pretty cool that they collaborated together to write such a a meaningful, original story.

I'll have to read this one. Ms. Shaw (the librarian) kept recommending it to me, but I just wasn't motivated to read it until now.

message 5: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 12 comments Erika wrote: "Strong review! I like your phrasing, especially "irritatingly difficult."

Your description of the two Wills sound rather similar. How are they different?

Did each author stick to a single chara..."

The greatest difference between the two Will's is how social they are. One Will actually attempts to create new relationships, while the other Will completely isolates himself from any person.

message 6: by Jami (new)

Jami Wallace | 14 comments I really like the review you did for this book. Very descriptive and very detailed.
Which Will did you like more?
Is there anything that you didn't like about this book?