SQHS YLL discussion

October Sky
This topic is about October Sky
October sky - Homer Hickam

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam | 9 comments The main character Homer Hickem and his group of friends who live in a small town called Coal Wood are trying to find different careers other than their parents. So they set out to work for NASA and there are various challenges they face on their path to success. There is a lot more conflict, like trying to fit in to high school. Lastly, there's a lot of conflict and climax, but I won't got into detail too much. Read it for yourself, and find out what happens to Homer and his friends.

October Sky by Homer Hickem was a fantastic book. It had lots of conflict through to the whole entire book. I felt like everything that went on in the book flowed together so well and everything happened for a reason. One example is when Homer's big brother gets into college for football. Even though Homer tried to play, he didn't have the skill for it, so he had to find a different hobby/career that he had to pursue to get out of Coal wood. This book gave me a lot of mixed emotions, like happiness, sadness, and being frustrated because of the challenges that Homer faced at home and through his life brought all these emotions. Another example is Homer and his friends try to find a rocket fuel solution, and it is just so frustrating and happy at the same time because they mess up and laugh because they mixed the wrong solutions.

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay | 13 comments Sounds like an interesting book. Find it interesting how the character takes interest into NASA

message 3: by Mikey (new)

Mikey | 12 comments This book sounds like a interesting book to read. I like when books have challenges. it also sounds like there are a ton of emotions in the book.

message 4: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn Hawkinson | 12 comments This book sounds super interesting! I love reading about characters with tons of emotion and conflict that isn't a war or a physical fight. It's also super cool to see that sports aren't the only version of high school success. Do you happen to know if this is based off a true story?

Great Review! :)

message 5: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 3 comments This book sounds really interesting. I like that it talks about homer has some struggles but that don't stop him from continuing to accomplish his career.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma | 5 comments I feel like fitting in to a school is always going to be a hard thing to do, especially if your a big NASA kid, but the thing they face will alway remain then that they can do better, so they can achieve better things in life.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam | 9 comments Emma wrote: "I feel like fitting in to a school is always going to be a hard thing to do, especially if your a big NASA kid, but the thing they face will alway remain then that they can do better, so they can a..."
Thanks emma and yeah fitting into schools hard and this books shows alot of it you should read the book to find out in more detail.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 9 comments Jadyn wrote: "This book sounds super interesting! I love reading about characters with tons of emotion and conflict that isn't a war or a physical fight. It's also super cool to see that sports aren't the only v..."
Thanks Jayden and the book is based off a true story the main character is the one who wrote the book. Also true about when high school life is only based around sport is over used, when books are based on kids future life and goal they set to reach them that's what they should be about.
Thanks on the feed back.

message 9: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 10 comments Sounds like a good read. I wonder why the characters chose NASA rather than another career out there?